1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

70's Tele copy any ideas?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Count, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

I have a tele copy purchased in 1975/6 (forget exactly which). It is the same as the current Squier Vintage Modified Tele Custom, except for the neck truss cover. There are no made in .... marks, serial numbers etc. just a Stagg logo on the headstock. Not the same Stagg logo as is used these days. I cannot find anywhere any details about a Fender or Squeir original that this might have been copied from. Has anyone any ideas about whether: this was made under licence, where it was made (I suspect Japan), who the manufacturer is/was ?
    The guitar itself is fantastic to play, very heavy but well balanced, prefers ultralight strings and gives the full range of sound from big and fat too high and twangy.

Attached Files:

2. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

Reminds me of a Maya tele copy I had for a short while as a spare. Mine had a similar truss rod cover, but mine was a copy of a Tele Custom and had two single coils, but with a very similar scratchplate. Maya were made in Japan in the 1970s from what I know.

3. a.andersson

a.andersson NEW MEMBER!

I'm pretty sure thats identical with japanese ibanez teles from the early 70's. The headstock looks the same. But as far as I know Ibanez had strat headstocks on their Deluxe's. I own a '69 thinline copy myself. Great sounding guitar but hard to play.

4. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Yep, Stagg were one of the brands Ibanez (which is really Hoshino) were sold under, along with Navarra, Agius and a plethora of others. The Fuji-Genkakki factory went on to make Fender Japan stuff under licence. That bent trussrod cover is a dead giveaway. I reco'd one exactly like that. Those Ibanez 'WR' pickups are usually just conventional Super 70's bar humbuckers with different covers. OK pickups.

5. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the info. Ibanez catalogues of the 70s show a Deluxe Tele model and a Custom Tele model, what I have is a fusion of the two. Maybe they had some spare parts, Deluxe bodies and Custom (Strat) headstocks and decided to use them up. :) Whatever, this one came out as a top guitar.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.