70s Peavey PA question

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by ReverendRevolver, Oct 12, 2019 at 10:44 PM.

1. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

Couldn't quite decide where to ask this, but I figure this qualifies as not guitar or amp related:

What were these things rated at?
    20191012_164409.jpg

Theres this super informative pair of jacks:
    20191012_164402.jpg
    But I have no idea. I planned on testing a Peavey powered mixer with 'em. Unsure if the mixer works or not, I think I found the right manual for it, stating the main outs are 4ohm each. I've found a 1973 pdf catalog with similar looking cabinets also rated 4ohms. But, you know, theres no numbers without opening the enclosures.

Anyone have experience with these?

(I didn't buy any of this, I know you can get better stuff for less money because its 2019, etc. Its hard to move old PA stuff, so I plan in keeping it to use at home.)

zippofan and nojazzhere like this.
  2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I had a Peavey PA that we bought around 1970, just like that. Two columns with four 12" CTS speakers each, and a four channel PA head, I think the power rating was 200 watts peak. It sounded crystal clear, and we played pretty loud. We regularly used three part vocal harmonies, and folks always said it was great.
    BTW....those cabs must have been super efficient.....I used to use both columns at home with a five watt per channel Realistic stereo amp, and it was loud as heck! ;)

Zepfan, zippofan and ReverendRevolver like this.
  3. ReverendRevolver

I'm hoping the whole setup works. Still haven't figured out how to hide them from my wife. Maybe park them behind the furnace and slap foil tape on plywood, then lean it on 'em to camouflage them?

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

I jammed with some guys once who were using similar Peavey columns as front line monitor wedges. They had fashioned some sort of cradle to angle them up, and the coverage was outrageous. I thought it was a cool idea, but not cool enough to buy a pair of them.

nojazzhere likes this.
  5. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

They're not terrible units.

You wouldn't buy them today because of size/weight/efficiency but there's nothing wrong with them bearing in mind limitations of the era.

To test them just use a cable and measure resistance with a dmm with a 4-8 ohm reading - they'll probably make a crackle which indicates they're most likely OK.

ReverendRevolver likes this.
  6. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

That looks like part of an old Peavey PA I had way long ago. I had to get a new power cord installe . The guy that did it told me that going by the serial number Hartley might have built that one by himself

nojazzhere likes this.
  7. nojazzhere

BTW.....part of the time I owned that PA, I was driving a 1958 VW Beetle. Obviously two of those columns wouldn't fit inside a VW.....so I had a roof rack that I could carry them with, in a pinch. Fortunately, someone else with a bigger vehicle would usually be able to help with transport. ;)

8. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

Just like to take a moment and point out that after the apocalypse they'll only be roaches and old Peavey PA and amps.

9. nojazzhere

And, of course, Keith Richards! ;)

10. ReverendRevolver

So, measured the speaker cab with mm. @Dacious , thank you, it gave some crackle. Reading was wacky and jumping. while carrying the enclosure down my basement steps, I heard/felt something moving that unfortunately is probably a speaker magnet (or my grandfather hid a handgun in it. Not likely.)
    Plugged it I to the powered mixer
    20191014_004633.jpg
    Then ran a guitar cable between it and cabinet. Then grabbed my duosonic (closest guitar to the basement) and plugged it into the mixer. Powered on. Turned up the guitar, turned up the channel it was in. Nothing. Looked down, turned up the main (when the hell did I turn that down?) And it seems to work.
    I own a PA. An antiquated one, but I'm a 30 year old rock/blues guitarist and the closest piece of music media to where I'm sitting are 2 Eddy Arnold albums. I suppose the old gear fits.
    Still not sure how to hide this from my wife, let alone bring the second one home.
    20191014_004832.jpg

Its currently behind my ductwork, and the powered mixer is mostly concealed by the box my supro came in.

Hopefully its loud enough to get vocals over a drummer.
    Thanks for the help!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.