1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

70s Flashback... Vans

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Torz Johnson, Aug 30, 2015.

1. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

I don't have a photo of mine but I loved it. It was a 66 Econoline 4sp auto 240-6. Killer van with power. No windows side or rear....kinda private Spicoli like.

2. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

That is so weird Paul! She told me about you.:D

3. Torz Johnson

Torz Johnson Friend of Leo's

Yes, vans were everywhere in the 70s... "rappin' on your CB radio in your van". It was only a matter of time until things got out of hand, as seen in the movie Damnation Alley. I still remember the mutant cockroaches and scorpions in that flick. :D

Attached Files:

4. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Actually I remember all the round windows in vans too..
    and the great paint jobs. I actually had a but ugly black VW van.
    Had blankets for dates in winter..

Attached Files:

• van.jpg
      van.jpg
      File size:
      53.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  5. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

I spent a lot of time in vans back in the day, both for work and for recreation. Some were all tricked out, and some just had the metal skin and nothing else. I always aspired to have a VW Microbus, but never got one. They still look cool to me.

6. highwayman

highwayman Former Member

This one was at a 60s party I was at this past weekend. It's actually a 72 and was super cool!

7. highwayman

highwayman Former Member

Pic

8. highwayman

highwayman Former Member

Here

Attached Files:

9. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

In high school (in the late '80s), one of the football coaches had a '70s chevy van that was painted orange and had the diamond-shaped bubble windows toward the back. The artwork? Emblazoned across each side was a starry sky with a female silhouette and the words "Lucy in the sky with diamonds".

10. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Van, shman...... I had a bus!

The dad of my best friend in high school owned the local school bus company, and I worked there every summer since I was in about 6th grade (in fact the first vehicle I ever drove was a school bus!)

In 1980 I bought an old scool bus from him. It had been used for showing young kids films of bus safety. So it had all of the seats taken out and carpet put in, and had black curtains along all of the windows. We slapped some paint on it, but nothing psychedelic.

We added a couch and a few folding chairs, plus a good stereo, and away we went!

Cheers,
    Doug

Attached Files:

11. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

A long time ago a friend invited me out to a lake for a weekend of fishing and drinking. Usually in our case it was more drinking and telling tales than anything else, so I was in.

He said he had a school bus he had converted to a camper. All he had done was take the seats out. :lol:

That was a rough couple of nights sleeping on the floor of that bus. But, I had tweaked my back helping my Step Dad move earlier that week and the floor of that bus fixed my back the first night.

12. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

This thread started out with "Chevy Van" and no matter how cool the pics of tricked out vans since then...that song says it all. The girl in that song came along so many times. In my 49 Willy's panel, my 58 chevy wagon and my 51 Chevy panel. Nothing special about the cars...but when I think about moonlight, rivers, campfires and guitars...it all comes together with some kind of "van".

I really do like the innocence of the song. It's the opposite of a "shagging wagon" and more about tenderness and beauty and adventure...

13. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

That's why people bought them.
    That and to camp overnight in before dawn surfing here in Oz.:lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.