1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

70's Eminence alnico 10s - any good?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by 11 Gauge, Sep 22, 2020.

1. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

You've already spent more time posting, taking pictures and reading replies than it would have taken you to swap the speakers and/or make a harness to try them in the SG cabinet. I could tell you that those Emis were the greatest 10s ever made and it still wouldn't mean you'd like them.

JustABluesGuy, tubegeek and Wally like this.
  2. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

But no stairs this way!

3. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I think this probably makes the most sense, because I'm honestly never going to rework the Gibson amp (rewire for more common power tubes at a minimum), let alone get wrapped up in any of the maintenance it needs (new filter caps, at a minimum). I could maybe get past the '70's fugly' appearance, but don't really want to. And the thing is just beastly large and heavy.

The hardest part will be explaining to my cousin what happened to it, but the Gibson actually was payment for working on a bunch of other gear for him, so it should be pretty easy to do that.

I could actually pull the speakers at my leisure, and inspect them one by one. If less than all four actually turn out to be okay, then I might consider trying a pair in my '71 VR, or maybe even put one in some kind of future quasi-PR project.

...And yeah, I'm assuming they're 8 ohms, but I haven't even checked that yet, either.

Actually, if I got $50 for the whole thing (sans speakers), I'd be delighted.

Wally and BobbyZ like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.