'70s AM Gold

Moonraker5

Tele-Meister

You had to do it. You had to post "Wildfire." Do you know what that does to me everytime that song is brought up? I go right down the youtube rabbit hole for an hour watching every single video of that song. (Two best: Murphey's perfomance of "Wildfire" on "The David Letterman Show," and the 1976 appearance on 'The Midnight Special.')

Simply put, "Wildfire" is thee American song. It is not Seeger's "This Land Is Your Land." It is not Gershwin's "Rhapsody In Blue." It is not anything by Aaron Copland. It is not anything by Bob Dylan. Nope, Michael Murphey's "Wildfire" is pure Americana. It is the best musical composition America has ever produced.

feldkeen

Tele-Meister
Besides my freak obsetion with BTO as jr high punk. Two songs stand out for me......Radar love and Benny and the Jets. You didn't seen it but I dropped the mic.

Esquire Jones

Tele-Holic
You had to do it. You had to post "Wildfire." Do you know what that does to me everytime that song is brought up? I go right down the youtube rabbit hole for an hour watching every single video of that song. (Two best: Murphey's perfomance of "Wildfire" on "The David Letterman Show," and the 1976 appearance on 'The Midnight Special.')

Simply put, "Wildfire" is thee American song. It is not Seeger's "This Land Is Your Land." It is not Gershwin's "Rhapsody In Blue." It is not anything by Aaron Copland. It is not anything by Bob Dylan. Nope, Michael Murphey's "Wildfire" is pure Americana. It is the best musical composition America has

Wildfire brings back memories from childhood for sure.

Last edited:

Moonraker5

Tele-Meister

Sweet were second to Mott The Hoople in the glam rock sweepstakes. But they were just as fast paced as the hard rock whimsy that Mott had.

Many times I listen to "Ballroom Blitz" and I try to be realistic and say to myself, "No, "Ballroom Blitz" really isn't the greatest song ever made." But every time I listen to it I end up saying, "My God, 'Ballroom Blitz' is the single greatest musical work ever created on this planet."

I wish someone could give me the addresses of Steve's, Andy's, Mick's, and Brian's parents so I could thank them for giving birth to the four artists who gave mankind the magnificent "Ballroom Blitz."

Last edited:

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
I listened to AM in high school. Once I started college in 1967, it was all FM until I started working after graduation. Then it was AM for news, traffic, and weather until I discovered country music on 1040. Country radio in NYC in the ‘70s. Who’d have thought that possible?

Vibroluxer

Tele-Holic
Many times I listen to "Ballroom Blitz" and I try to be realistic and say to myself, "No, "Ballroom Blitz" really isn't the greatest song ever made." But every time I listen to it I end up saying, "My God, 'Ballroom Blitz' is the single greatest musical work ever created on this planet."

I wish someone could give me the addresses of Steve's, Andy's, Mick's, and Brian's parents so I could thank them for giving birth to the four artists who gave mankind the magnificent "Ballroom Blitz."
That one made me smile! They rock hard on that one.

Moonraker5

Tele-Meister
They rock hard on that one.

The Sweet's three hits in America -- "Ballroom Blitz," "Little Willy," and "Fox On The Run" -- really are amazing tunes.

For what they did, The Sweet were very, very good at it. Is it Bob Dylan? No. But we can ask the same about Dylan tunes. Is "Blowing In The Wind" "Little Willy"? No, not even close to "Little Willy."

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
Do you know the biggest market for country music sales is New York City? Nashville ranks sixth. True.
I spent 15 minutes on Google and New York is barely mentioned. Whatever station was playing country in the mid ‘70s on 1040 AM is either gone or playing something else. The closest NY comes to country is rap finding it’s way into the genre. It’s not cool and it’s not country.

Old Verle Miller

Tele-Meister
AM radio in the 70's? They didn't have stereo 'til years later.

But even if you were stuck with AM/mono Stairway To Heaven was THE song of the early 70s.

The rest of the 70s was dominated by the brothers Gibb and disco.

Moonraker5

Tele-Meister
I spent 15 minutes on Google and New York is barely mentioned. Whatever station was playing country in the mid ‘70s on 1040 AM is either gone or playing something else. The closest NY comes to country is rap finding it’s way into the genre. It’s not cool and it’s not country.
Are you serious? Fact: the number one market for country music, the biggest sales for country music is New York City. Maybe Google is too complicated for you. Fact is NYC is the number one market for country music. Nashville currently ranks sixth.

You know it really isn't that difficult to get your mind around that fact. You do realize Nashville has only 600,000 people while New York City has near 10 million!