70F degrees in Nashville today. Snow and low of 20F by tomorrow night.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Jan 11, 2018.

1. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

I just left downtown Nashville and came back to my office. The temperature gauge in my car said 70F. I couldn't believe it, so I checked weather.com at the next stop light. Yep, 70.

Tomorrow at 7AM it is supposed to be 32F and begin snowing. The snow will continue until 8PM, when it will be down to 27... and continue dropping through out Friday night until it hits 20.

That's a 50 degree fahrenheit drop in a really short time (in case you're not good at math).

It's like Armageddon at the grocery stores right now. For one day of snow.

2. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Afflicted

Storm chips ! The most basic of human needs.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  3. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

Yep. I went to the store to get essentials about 9pm last night. It was still 50F. after quite a balmy day.

Right now its 22F and a little freezing rain earlier.

The streets are almost silent with traffic.

4. Flyinlow

Flyinlow Tele-Meister

A little skeptical about my drive to work tomorrow (5AM), here in NE Indiana.

5. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

It is 68 right now in Huntsville, AL. High of 51 tomorrow and low tomorrow night of 23 with freezing rain. Good times.

6. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

I remember that happening one year in Nashville...in April!!! Seriously. I think it was 2000. I went to the race at the Fairgrounds on Friday...shorts and no shirt. I camped in the parking lot that night and woke up to snow on the tent!!!

7. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

They are predicting the same here in Memphis,TN. I'm sure the grocery stores are crazy , as if we'll be stuck inside for weeks ....

Doesn't take much to shut things down here, folks can barely drive in the rain, much less snow or ice.

We'll see what tomorrow brings , could be nothing or bad.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

A bit of torrential rain here in Shelby County, in the hour since Ringo posted.

Some powerful downpours have begun. Not particularly wise to be still trying to get errands done, since the drivers are sort of acting out a bit. We picked up a Papa Murphy's, but that's only 4 blocks by back streets here in Germantown. No sweat.

It occurs to me it could be hard to get the pavement to freeze, if it is under 5 inches of flood water.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  9. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

I’m supposed to make a quick trip to and from Kansas this weekend. They’re calling for 8-12 inches of ice pellets and snow along the way (Erie/Cleveland). Even if I try to take a southern route, I’m going to be hitting weather/ice. We had windchills around -20° early this week; today was in the mid-50s and sunny. The back and forth is crazy. Should make for an interesting trip.

10. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Not sure about Memphis area, but it's been single digits and teens for the past 8-10 days here... which means the ground is pretty much frozen. A day or two of 50-70 degrees won't do enough to keep everything from sticking.

The last prediction I heard was 1/4" ice... followed by 3-4 inches of snow. Not much to anyone from the north, but we just don't have the means to deal with it around here.

11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Hmm.

Most every pond that had frozen around Memphis, was fully thawed by this morning. I was down in New Orleans until the day before yesterday, and I came back to Southwest TN to find 40s, 50s and then almost 70. Nothing like the first six days of so of the new year. The ground is all soft and muddy, but saturated enough that the rain from thunderstorms will have to run off.

I'm thinking Dyersburg and Paducah and places over that way, will take the worst whipping.

12. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

All my memories of growing up in the North pour in during times like this, had so much fun.

13. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Get a grip man. You have just described our weather up here on the mountain for basically every day during the summer months ... including the chance of snow. With more than a 50 degree F change at times too. Just dress in layers and you are good to go.

That is why I have cargo shorts with zip on pant legs.;)

14. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

My cats don't like the snow! We got enough snow and ice to make a mess , news showed cars sliding around on the interstate, and will be much colder tonight so more ice.

I know it's nothing to what the folks up north get but here people don't know how to drive in it, so it pretty much shuts everything down for a few days.

my 6 toe cat note the big pawprints!

20180112_112930_HDR-1.jpg

and our big fat tabby, he really doesn't like it!

20180112_114701_HDR.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.