1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

70/80 is not my cup of tea in my Rivera Clubster Royale 112.

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Gary Mitchell, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Former Member

I have a Rivera Clubster Royale 112, it is loaded right now with a Celestion 70/80. I can't say I am real crazy about, the highs on this speaker bothers me. At lower volume's its okay but when cranked in a open back combo its like ice or something. Anyway I play Worship at church contemporary, and on the side, I play Blues and a little jazz fusion. We have been known to play very classic country like Farron Young, Jim Reeves. Anyway I am think about reloading my Clubster with a speaker from WGS a G12/S. I would like any info any of you guys might have on this speaker. WGS told me this would be a very good choice. But I also like your guys opinion Thanks.

2. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Im getting rid of my 70 80...nice in a certain middle mid territory. .but not great in other freq good value speaker though

3. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I wasn't keen on the similar speaker in my Rivera R30...tone wasn't horrible, but the volume level was very low next to my HRDx. Out of curiosity I put in a new Jensen Mod 12/35 and the poor thing lasted about 1/2 a gig.

The hunt continues...

4. Tle4

Tle4 Tele-Afflicted

I have an ET65 and G12C/S in my Pro Reverb. I originally had 2 ET65's and it sounded great but was missing a little of the Fender highs. I swapped one ET65 for the G12C/S and it added some of the highs back.

I would recommend either speaker to tame highs. The ET65 would tame them a little more.

5. sirbergersworth

sirbergersworth Tele-Holic

I have one amp that liked the 70/80 and it was the VHT Special 6. For some reason it really brought out a blackface sound from the amp. That amp is very dark. I also have a WGS G12C and a Reaper 30, both in 1x12 open back cabs.
    If you want a versatile speaker that will sound somewhat fendery then the Reaper is great. If you want all fender then the G12C wins.
    I like them both.

6. Gary Mitchell

The 70/80 in my Clubster there just something not there for me. I have a love hate thing, its getting more of a hate thing. Part of me wants to break the speaker in more, I haven't had the amp long. I maybe got 20 to 30 hours playing time on it, but I just cannot see it getting any better. Rivera put it in this 1600 dollar amp, he must had done it for a reason. I have a lot of respect for him and his crew, they have always done me right. Like I said my amp is a Clubster Royale 112, I guess you can order it with a Celestion V30, or a EVL112 and the 70/80. I bought my Clubster from ZZounds and it came with the 70/80. When I was playing Christian metal and using 412 cabs I used EV12Ls, they were cool could take a lot of punishment. I use them with a Boogie Mark III head. I have had EVs in combos they can be a little sterile to my ears at time's. So then I went to using Celestion Vintage 30s in everything, I liked them but I got to say I am bored as heck with them. all my guitar buds use them. I don't want to be a clone. That's why I was thinking the WGS 12C/S speaker, know one knows much about them here yet. And most of all just to piss off Guitar Center if they don't have it it ain't cool.

7. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

I sold a 70/80 for $50, thought it was cheap junk and replaced it with a Greenback clone Eminence Legend GB128 for Blues. Jazz pop and whatever.

8. Gary Mitchell

Well Guy's and maybe Gal's I am down trying to decide between these 3 speakers. And a again you might think me completely far from my quest of what I am searching for. The Eminence Legend 1218, Eminence Swamp Thang, and last of all the WGS ET65. Which would you choose and why, and I do thank you for your help I really do.

9. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

ET65 for the jazz , Legend for the country...imho

10. Gary Mitchell

Anyone ever used the Legend 1218 if so what did you think.

11. Gary Mitchell

I know that Celestion 70/80 is bad bad in my opinion. I like creamy lows and highs, not like scratching a chalk board. Smooth highs a little smokey. That's where it's at for me just a little throaty if you get my meaning

12. DrBoBo

DrBoBo TDPRI Member

13. Gary Mitchell

If you look at my amp it has sort of a block down the middle, a post in the grill.

Attached Files:

14. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Some of what you describe about the speaker sounds like the not broken in enough problem.
    I've spent easily ten hours just getting a new speaker to not sound really unpleasant, and many more hours to get it to sound good, then still more, maybe 30-40 hours for break in to proper sound.

That still doesn't mean it'll ever be your favorite speaker, but like you said, Rivera thought it was a good speaker for the amp.
    I got really sick of V-30s a few years ago, still have lots of them in boxes.
    Huge confusing array of new speakers to choose from now, made even more confusing by internet recommendations involving music style and sound descriptions.

Edit: Some amps are more unpleasant for breaking in speakers, and 1x12 makes it worse to listen to.

15. cowboy rob61

cowboy rob61 Tele-Meister

I tried the 1218 in a BJ a few years back. Totally changed it. Er, darker but still really clear and extended up top. Like a say plenty up top, really clear but none of the peaks. Maybe the peaks were down the bottom but round and smooth, not boomy.
    I hope that's of some help..............?

16. Gary Mitchell

You know I have never heard anyone give a review on the 70/80 celeston after having broken it in. They say its cheap but I see a lot of speakers go fro $80 bucks, and its made in China. Rivera said the speaker after broken in covers a wide range of music. It does the Fender thing pretty good on the clean channel on the Clubster. It would be nice to talk to people also who have broken this speaker in. I do not know how many hors I have on it, I have not gig with it yet. I have been doing a lot of bass playing these day and acoustic guitar. Maybe 20hrs if I am lucky more or less can't say. Paul Rivera like's the speaker for some reason maybe cause they are cheap. I don't know you can get Eminence for $80 bucks also. anyone out there like the 70/80 are broke one in.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.