7 Items or Less...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by stealyerface, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

No, I do shop at coles though but every store is the same. They all have one checkout that sells smokes and it's always backed up by non smokers that could use other checkouts or the self checkout right next to it.

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I go to a grocery store that doesn't sell tabacky :virtue-signalling-smilie:

Chunkocaster likes this.
  3. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I would refuse to get on that line due to terrible grammar.
    It's FEWER!
    7 items or FEWER, DAMMIT!!!
    Now get off my lawn, you damn kids!!!!!!

Blue Bill and 8barlouie like this.
  4. CharlieO

CharlieO Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I don't get it with the airlines' carry-on policy, either. I guess that employees don't want to confront the violators, so they let it pass and in the process they annoy far more paying customers. That doesn't make sense to me.

Speaking of the airlines and their carry-on and checked baggage policy, I have developed a strategy that works well for me. When I can't check a bag for free, I pack a somewhat oversized carry-on bag. It always makes it through security with no problem. Every time that I fly, they make an announcement that the flight is nearly full and there isn't going to be enough room in the overhead bins. They offer free "gate checking," and I take advantage of it. My bag is one of the last on the plane and the first unloaded. Works for me.

Manual Slim likes this.
  5. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I don't routinely do it but I have done it if I'm barely over (not counting the times the express cashier has invited me to do so).
    I guess I view it as no harm, no foul when it's not busy or it's minor variation (2 or 3 items over) but it's aggravating when its egregious. People abuse it all the time and, as others have pointed out, they dare not enforce it.
    It's the honor system, just like returning a cart to the return lane instead of leaving it out in the open to block or a parking space or damage other cars.

6. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

Talk to Toto’s Dad

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Toto'sDad likes this.
  7. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Holic

A couple years ago my wife had early boarding on an airline and placed her one small suitcase in the overhead storage, a bit later a guy got on with a much larger bag. Wouldn't fit in the overhead storage, so removed my wife's and put his in. My wife's then got put in baggage and...you guessed it. It got lost. It got unloaded in Denver instead of staying on to Chicago
    Took three days to find it and get it back. Some (maybe many) people seem very rude and self-centered now.

stealyerface likes this.
  8. stealyerface

stealyerface Tele-Afflicted

I am enjoying reading the responses to see that there are apparently two sides to this argument.

The first side is that it is no big deal, I overreacted, I should have real worries to care about, I ought to be stuck on an island with the guy, etc...

And the second side is that not following the rules, is just rude. I am wondering if the same folks who say "What is the big deal", would say the same thing when they boarded the plane and had no room for carry-ons because others have skirted/ignored/disobeyed the rules. But, if the mantra is "Hey man, no big deal, after all, we are all just trying to travel", there is nothing to be said.

I follow rules. I don't drive alone in the car-pool lane, I don't lie about my kids' ages to get discounted tickets and/or meals, I return the shopping cart to the return spot, I don't bring 500 recycle cans back to the store at one time, and I expect other folks to have a shred of courtesy in order to make the world a little less stressful.

My dad was a police officer, and I was raised as a rule follower. No arrests, no tickets, I turned in the magazines of my handgun when the ban took effect, and I guess my cut of cloth differs from others. That's okay, and it takes all types to make the world go around, and yeah, maybe I should have just let it go.

But I'm old and crotchety and honestly, I have very little patience these days for those who try to muddy the waters between being aloof and easy-going, with blatant asshattery.

~syf

CharlieO and Manual Slim like this.
  9. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

It can be irritating but it’s really merely a suggestion from the store that’s up to the customers to interpret or in your case enforce.

15 is the magic number where I shop. I’ve never seen a full cart in the express lane.

I’m sure I’ve exceeded 15 by a few more than once.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  10. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Meister

You got energy to get upset over this?

11. daddyplaysbass

daddyplaysbass Tele-Holic

Just because we can do something does not mean we should.

12. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

I thought this was gonna be about guitars. I have fewer than 7. Just barely. I can still use the guitar express lane.

RLee77 likes this.
  13. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

The quota is 15 in my local store too, I don't mind the guys with full carts because the staff actually open a second register to serve people when that happens rather than stand around and try to look busy. The checkout chick almost always makes eye contact with you if you are behind that guy with the full cart and the next thing you know that second register that can provide smokes but never gets used is magically brought to life.

14. draggindakota

draggindakota Tele-Meister

This. I also treat most self checkout lanes the same as express lanes. I say most because there are a few that have belts, or like the Home Depot closest to me there is only one or 2 attended lanes and all the rest are self checkout.

15. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

i usually ask if they mind me skipping ahead as i only have a few items. if they're ahole enough to refuse then you could point out that this is supposed to be the express lane. a further dismissal gets a laugh and a 'oh, you're one of them. off you go lad, do as you please as usual'.

Jim622 and stealyerface like this.
  16. stealyerface

stealyerface Tele-Afflicted

Yes, as stated prior, any invitation to take a full basket or cart to an open Express Lane by an employee or cashier earns a free pass to that lane.

Any invitation to a closed Express Lane, that has recently been opened due to high customer volume, also receives a free pass from the listed item-limitation.

Red-headed females of moderate to high attractiveness, can use the Express Lane at any time, regardless of the items in her cart.

~syf

17. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Interesting! I was raised the opposite way, to question the rules. That doesn't mean I deliberately break rules, just that I want to understand what is going on. And I don't take eight items into the 7 item express lane :)

18. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

People who ignore, red lights, speed limits, stop signs, and pedestrians in crosswalks, not to mention bicyclists are all at once supposed to observe an item limit in a checkout line?

[​IMG]

RLee77 and Jim622 like this.
  19. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Well, you just never know, a girl I went to school with had a brother with a smart mouth, always shooting it off. One day he was as was the custom of the day riding around drinking with a guy who had been in prison. During the course of the conversation Mr. Loudmouth asked the ex-con if he had ever seen any pictures of his ex old lady naked, setting up a joke line. The ex-con said as a matter of fact I have, want to see them? Stopped got out of the car, retrieved a gun from the trunk and shot him dead. Then drove the car off in a canal with the back end of it sticking up out of the water to where even a drunk Okie could have found it. What is not very serious to one person, may be very serious to another, better to just leave 'em be.

Owenmoney and Marc Morfei like this.
  20. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

What about people who open bags of food at the market and walk around eating things while they shop?
    What about people who, when confronted, say they didn't notice the "sign"?
    What about people who bring their out of control screaming kids with them to the market?

Since you asked for opinions, mine is: if I don't own the business it's none of my business what other customers do unless it endangers me.
    I don't confront strangers. Too many nut jobs walking around with concealed weapons or just bullies looking for a physical fight. I ignore and forget about these people. They only exist in my world for a short period of time. They don't concern me.

rcole_sooner likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.