7.25 radius fretboard changers out there

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by 57joonya, Oct 19, 2021.

1. old wrench

old wrench Friend of Leo's

It's a funny thing :)

I started out with a 7-1/4" radius guitar (after playing a Teisco for about a year), but back then, I had no idea what the fret board's radius was, and I don't ever remember anyone else talking about what radius their guitar's fret board had.

We knew there was a difference, of course, between Fenders and Gibsons and the rest - but no one I knew was really focused on minute details like fret board radius.

We were more concerned with stuff like trying to put together a light-gauge string set with strings that wouldn't bust when ya made a big bend ;)

It's pretty interesting to look in the Black Guard Book and check out the fret board radius' on vintage Teles as measured by Nacho.

They actually varied quite a bit, and some of them were even pretty wacky - iirc, there was a reverse compound radius that went something like 9" at the nut to 7-1/4" at the 12th fret :)

The poster that referred to "shaving" a neck was referring to shaving some of the heft off the back of the neck, not anything to do with the fret board.

I'm pretty sure old Virgil (the original owner of Lay's Guitar shop down in Akron) is the fella that shaved down Page's LP neck before Page got it from Walsh - Lay's was the best shop around for guitar work back then, and Virgil was the man ;).

Reivaj, Telecaster88 and rdjones like this.
  2. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

I only have one guitar now that's 7.25" and I have it set-up the same as my other guitars (9.5 to 12) and it plays fine with no chocking.

Willy-son and Fender-guy like this.
  3. Ebidis

Ebidis Friend of Leo's

???

4. 57joonya

57joonya Tele-Holic

I’m terrible at Checking my sentences. For some reason it changes my words to bizarre things like that . Partscaster I meant

5. BostonTeleGuy

BostonTeleGuy TDPRI Member

Im sure he didn't change it. If set up properly a 7.5 won't fret out on the bends so much as be just a little harder to bend but , I like a little more fight in the neck. It changes the way I play a little bit. Those Bbc clips of Page playing that Tele show him bending like crazy and absolutely wailing on it. I bet if Page picked up his Les Paul that day his phrasing would have been a little different with the shorter scale length and flatter radius.

6. Spooky88

Spooky88 Tele-Meister

Once I went to a 10-16” compound radius I built all my guitars around that neck radius including my Les Paul parts guitars. I don’t use any manufacturers guitars live.

7. MrJazzedBlues

MrJazzedBlues TDPRI Member

I don't know if any known guitarist flattened the neck. Personally I prefer the 7.25 radius which I have on My MIJ Tele. To overcome the problem when bending strings is solved by filing down some of the frets from 15 (I think) and below. Had a luthier to do that.Works great.

57joonya likes this.
  8. Tele Plucker

Tele Plucker Tele-Meister

I can’t speak for what Page did, but if you look at many of the vintage dealers sites on line you will often see Telelcasters that came with a 7.25 radius fretboard that have been flattened to some degree.

The dealers have come up with a new category for damaged and modified guitars. It’s called “player grade”, and you will see a significant reduction in value.

So many vintage guitars have been ruined IMHO and there’s no rewind for that. Proceed with caution.

9. Tele Plucker

Tele Plucker Tele-Meister

I had been pretty much a weekend player when I was an active player, with an original 1964 Stratocaster and didn’t have issues bending at all.

That said, I have a younger brother that played for years in a traveling band. During a recent conversation I brought up the bending issue. I use 10s while he uses 9s with flatter radii. We both have a different approach to bending.

Depending on the task at hand, I will vary from using I finger (ring) to 2 or 3 fingers depending on the nuance needed in playing the bend. This really works great with whatever control is needed for the bend.

My avi and another partscaster I built are both 7.25 and I wouldn’t want it any other way.

That’s just my method. Something to consider?

57joonya likes this.
  10. dvh2

dvh2 TDPRI Member

Played my '57 Tele for over 30 years. 7.5 radius. Ya just get use to it and PLAY!

57joonya likes this.
  11. Enricos

Enricos TDPRI Member

That doesn’t answer the OP’s question – it’s a random suggestion

Reivaj and 57joonya like this.
  12. monkeybanana

monkeybanana Tele-Holic

I read Eric Johnson too? I agree that it was probably more common than we think. Pre internet players were just as fussy as we are.

Reivaj, 57joonya and Jakedog like this.
  13. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah, I think Eric’s guitars are like 12”.

Reivaj, 57joonya and monkeybanana like this.
  14. cruiser32

cruiser32 TDPRI Member

I've had my 72 tele since new. Back then we didn't know about radius differences, just that Gibsons were typically wider necks ( save for a SG special). More specifically, were the different sounds from single and humbucker pickups and depending on what and who you covered, you needed a certain guitar. I played all the old Jimmy page stuff, the bends took some finger power but it was what it was. I discovered that bends were easier on a les paul, than a tele, but also if you wanted a clear clean sound, you needed a Fender. Now in hindsight, using more modern guitars, most of which were Gibsons, I started going back over those old songs and found them to take less effort with the flatter fret board. I went back to the tele and found that it was harder for a while, but still doable. For me I also realized that I had the action set extremely low compared to my Gibsons and even my Strat. Raising it up drastically (to new guitar levels) improved bends and not being interfered with on the other strings. It did make other things harder, when not doing a straight lead. This is really no different than needing different amp settings and even different pedal settings to play the same song with a different guitar, if you want it to sound like the original.

Just my 2 cents :)

MrJazzedBlues and Telecaster88 like this.
  15. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Very well said.

There's techs who massage the fretwork a little bit, as per their customer's needs. But why "Stairway" sounds as it does, IMO has essentially nothing to do with whatever functioning radius this guitar had at the time of the recording. This is mostly about setup, and the player, and not "specifications" as we understand this term today.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  16. GRAVITY-LHP

GRAVITY-LHP TDPRI Member

I thought so too until I got a PRS Silver Sky. The bends are effortless… no fretting out at all. I guess it’s in the set up and fret work. The radius feels noticeable from my 9.5 and 10 fenders. And it feels particularly good!

17. NGS Guitars

NGS Guitars TDPRI Member

7.5 ain’t gonna bend far no matter how well it’s set up. But they are just so sweet to play. Flattened out fender necks are fit for unblocking drains.

18. boxocrap

boxocrap Tele-Meister

it's gremlins i tell's ya.. little buggers are always sneakin in at night and changing the keys around

57joonya likes this.
  19. old wrench

old wrench Friend of Leo's

I'll bet most of folks who have such "problems" with 7-1/4" radius necks have never even played one :)

And the rest of them probably haven't played a 7-1/4" guitar that was set up properly ;)

It's just like saying that all the good music, including the bends, that's been played on 7-1/4" necks never happened.

History is a real thing, and they still build 7-1/4" radius necks ;)

lammie200 and moosie like this.
  20. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Internet forums are the source of much certainty. :lol:

old wrench likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.