7.25 radius and choking....

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by vishnu, Jun 1, 2016.

1. vishnu

vishnu Tele-Meister

was thinkin' of buyin' a RI tele 52 so i went into town to try out a 7.25 radius neck tele for myself....

the guitar in the store was choking out at the 17/18 fret ( e string 1st) with a whole tone bend

the "action" looked like medium .....but the neck relief was rather high/spacious I thought.....

would straightening out the neck a little have made the choking better or worse?

is this choking fixable/tweakable or is it par for the course?

2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Too much relief would mean that the 21st fret is higher than the 12th fret, so yes, it could worsen choking in bends.
    But it's hard to say if there is too much relief on that neck, or what you mean by medium action.
    A 7.25 board can be set up to bend well with medium action, or even fairly low action if the frets are dressed really well.
    Relief is not IME a standard thing, as some necks bend evenly along the whole length, and others bend less up high and more toward the lower frets, while still others have a twist or hump. There can also be lifting frets, or worn frets from bending that leave the next few frets high and choking.

3. Thin69

Thin69 Friend of Leo's

I do not have that problem on either of my 7.25 necks that are set up to Fender specs. String height adjustment will have more effect that truss rod adjustment. A little adjustment goes a long way. Adjusting the truss rod to reduce neck relief to less than spec (.012") will likely make problem worse.

Do they have another guitar you can try?

4. GazzaBloom

GazzaBloom Former Member

I have a 2015 AV52 and have it set with .010 relief and action on all strings set at 5/64. Just about avoids all choking on the high E

5. ExiledonMainSt

ExiledonMainSt Tele-Meister

I also have always set up my vintage-style Fenders with very minimal relief and have never had issues with upper strings choking out. Telemnemonics is right though, if there's a high fret somewhere or the neck has a bend where it joins the body, it's probably going to take a little more than a truss rod tweak, and a lot of shops compensate by setting the action up high. I never really trust an on-the-floor shop setup anyways.

6. Stellacaster

Stellacaster TDPRI Member

a good set up would likely resolve this, does the shop have an in-house guitar tech to adjust it to try again before you buy it ?? otherwise dont buy without a guaranteed return policy in writing, then take it to your own tech for a professional opinion.

some people sell a great guitar with minor problems, when all it needed was a proper set up.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  7. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

it's just seems like the guitar needs a setup, sometimes it can be very close to "right" and a very small adjustment of relief and/or action will solve this easily.

8. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted

I'll chime in the with the "a good setup will cure the issue" chorus.
    I've got 2 Tele's with 7.25" boards and neither one chokes out on me.

9. Telesavalis

Telesavalis Friend of Leo's

I love 7.25 necks and don't have that problem with any of mine (4 Teles & 5 Strats)
    if they are set up right they'll play fine.

10. old goat

old goat Tele-Holic

sometimes choking is due not to the radius but to the vintage frets that go along with the 7.25 fingerboard. Low frets make it harder to get a good purchase on the string with the bending finger. If you're used to taller frets bending a vintage fret guitar takes practice.

11. tecelaster

tecelaster Tele-Meister

My 2 cents vishnu:- I'm reasonably confident with truss rod tweaks and saddle adjustments so at the weekend, when I upped the gauge of the strings on my T from 9's to 10's, I knew I had to re-adjust the relief, as I have always had a feeling that the guitar would just all shift to from good to verygoodness. That has indeed happened, but it's taken a few days to settle. A capo, feeler gauges and patience are your friends. After reading your post I tried a whole tone bend at the 17th and 18th on the top E and all is fine, however it's choking on the B string. I'm pretty sure this will be fixed by raising the dual saddle on that side a little. There are so many variables to setting up the action/relief on guitars that it takes a while to get it right for yourself and it's always a compromise. Radius is a good guide to action, but real attention to detail can flag up (as some has already said) fret issues. With such minute tweaks small imperfections can be revealed. For me that's part of the charm of guitars, particularly bolt-on necks Fenders. Sometimes you just have to adapt your playing style to suit.

12. Sean65

Sean65 Tele-Holic

I've got a PRS S2 (10" radius) and was having problems. I mistakenly thought more neck relief would help but it actually made thing worse. So yes, straightening the neck could help.

I think any guitar can choke out if it's not setup properly, irrespective of radius.

I remember seeing a Tim Lerch video where he recommended having the frets dressed from the 12th fret onwards for 7.25 radius.

13. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

Until recently, I'd never had a ''vintage'' neck with the small frets and 7.25'' radius. I wanted to give it a go, though; so I bought an Allparts TMO-V, finished it with shellac, and slapped it on 2007 Highway One Tele. Didn't level the frets, just polished them up after doing the prerequisite end-filing and edge-rolling.

I got very lucky on my nut install (Tusq XL), and the neck stayed very straight when bolted up (no hump where it joins body). Long story short, all I did was raise the saddles a bit from their almost-decked factory Hwy 1 position, match saddle radius to fret radius by eye, and the thing set itself up!

Action is low by my standard, about factory spec. I can't make it fret out on a bend anywhere; not that I play up there around 18 much. But it's living proof that 1) 7.25'' doesn't have to fret out, and 2) even a blind dog finds a bone.

I'm really enjoying the neck - V profile is maybe even more comfortable than the TMO-Fat. I get more used to the little frets every day. So the vintage experience is a positive for me. I still like bigger frets sometimes, and I'm reasonably sure I'll continue to play a variety of necks. But IMO the fear of vintage spec is overblown. YMMV.

14. vishnu

vishnu Tele-Meister

many thanks guys, I am feelin' a wee bit more confident now :)

15. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Agree with all the good setup stuff above.
    I like the feel of the 7.25 radius and I get the frets themselves stoned to reprofiled to around a 10 radius which enables all,the bending and low action I want. It's an old trick but it works beautifully.

16. nathanh

nathanh Tele-Meister

God bless the 7.25. To me it's the best neck especially if it's a fatter neck and not too wide. Needs a straight neck, frets 1-12 need to be as uniform as possible (trouble frets still happen), and 13-end need to fall off hard.

To me it feels drastically awful if it has a bad setup but more amazing then other necks if done right.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.