7.25 neck radius with a 9.5 radius bridge?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by DougF, Oct 20, 2019.

1. DougF

DougF Tele-Meister

I have a really nice 7.25 radius Musikraft neck laying around, and I was thinking about sticking it on a J Mascis body. The problem is the TOM bridge on the Mascis is 9.5 radius, and I don't know if this is a problem or an easy fix? Kind of want a beater "surf" guitar I can haul around. Any suggestions?

ben smith likes this.
  2. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Can you not adjust the individual string heights on that bridge to compensate? There's not a huge difference between 7.5" and 9.5" radius in that respect...just enough to matter, as I understand it. Adjusting string height is a normal part of the setup process. That said, I'm not familiar with the particular bridge you are concerned with.

3. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

You could just use your nut files and file those TOM bridge saddles to the proper radius.

SweetClyde99, Vibrolux59 and MilwMark like this.
  4. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You’d have to live with the action really high on the outside 4 (especially the outside 2) strings.

unless you have enough saddle (and patience) to file the string grooves on the outside 4 saddles into 7.25 radius.

5. colnago

colnago Tele-Meister

I have this on a Cobain Mustang that came from Fender that way. It isn't really a big issue.

SweetClyde99 likes this.
  6. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Meister

Usually the height of each saddle is not adjustable on TOM style bridges.

J Mascis is known to put TOM on vintage jazzmasters, which means an approx 10 saddle radius on a 7,25 radius neck. But then he plays with crazy high action, and higher on both E strings because of the radius mismatch.

9,5 on a 7,5 neck means you won’t be able to get the lowest action on E/A and B/E strings, but if you’re used to play with a decent string height, it should not be too much of a problem.

7. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I have done this and it's not too bad with the mismatch. Depends on how low you like your action. Remember, compound radius necks never match the bridge radius... You can file though.

8. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

When the bridge radius is flatter than the radius of a simple radius fretboard, the tension of the inside strings is lighter than the tension of the outside strings. I prefer to have proper radii so that the setup feels as it should.

actually, with a compound radius fretboard, one should match the bridge radius to the radius at the top end of the fretboard. The radius at the hut is set to the radius at that end of the board. The strings them have a compound radius, too. The radius of the strings changes as one moves up and down the neck.

MilwMark likes this.
  9. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Holic

if it was the other way around it would be worse, high action e.t.c i put a 7.5 mustang bridge on a 9.5 neck and i just couldn't get the action low enough so you should be ok with that.

10. ckroenlein

ckroenlein Tele-Holic

First step is to mount it first. Set up the best you can. THEN, make changes. Do not automatically assume anything.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.