6v6 pinout question

Clintstone

Tele-Meister
So I am playing around with an old radio chassis, trying to determine if it is a viable amp donor candidate. This old radio had 2 6V6gt output tubes driving a 12 inch speaker so I think it might be a good donor for a simple amp build like a Princeton. When looking at the output tube circuitry I noticed they have the pin 1 and 2 tied together and then grounded. Now the 6v6gt has no pin on position 1 so what would have been the point of this.
20220105_181437.jpg

Clintstone

Tele-Meister
So the rectifier tube is a 6X5GT, from what I can gather online this is only good for about 70ma. A 5Y3GT is rated for about 120ma so I am wondering if this old radio is a viable donor for a guitar amp build

Lowerleftcoast

Poster Extraordinaire
It should be able to handle being a guitar amp as long as you are not one of the *make it take it* crowd. Most of the vintage rectifiers seem to be pretty stout. If the rectifier is a concern, it could be converted to a EZ80 or EZ81. A different socket would need to be installed.

The original Princeton Reverb had a 70mA PT.

NTC

Tele-Afflicted
70mA is enough for a 2x 6V6 amp - if the plate voltage is above 300V or so.

The Ballzz

Friend of Leo's
"6V6 – Metal jacketed envelope. The metal envelope of 6V6 is connected to pin 1 of the base, and was normally used as a ground. Pin 1 of the other members of the 6V6 family of tubes are usually not internally connected, although some may have the gray RF shield connected."

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6V6

In addition and/or alternatively, it appears they might have been using the chassis/ground for one leg of the 6.3VAC heater circuit. I would check this and undo it, if this is the case!
Just My $.02,
Gene

corliss1

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Important distinction - a 5Y3 *is rated* for 120mA, but doesn't mean it *has* to put that out. The current draw is determined by the circuit.

My van has a 120mph notch on the speedometer, but it's never been asked to do that.