1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

6V6 in Red Knob Champ 12

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by spacerock777, Feb 10, 2013.

1. spacerock777

spacerock777 TDPRI Member

Anyone try running a 6v6 in a champ 12? Heard of this but never tried it nor do I know what I would need to steer clear of re: specs an all... Any ideas suggestions thanks.

2. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Well, according to this schematic, the amp is putting something like 460VDC on the plate of that 6L6GC. At that level, I'd imagine you'll melt about any 6V6GT, BUT the JJ 6V6S is supposed to be an exceptionally hardy breed, one of those might last. At least I wouldn't be mad about melting a new production JJ like I would if it'd been an NOS RCA or some such...

http://music-electronics-forum.com/attachments/2136d1206724021-champ_12_schem.gif

Also, it looks like the output transformer is a bit out-of-range for 6V6, as well. Not the end of the world, but could make for an even less hospitable environment for that 6V6.

If lower overall volume at breakup is desired, you'd be better off looking at a speaker change.

3. bdgregory

bdgregory Tele-Afflicted

not sure what the point would be. I would just roll some different 6L6/preamp tubes in there if I wanted to try for another tone.

4. spacerock777

Yeah thats kind of what I been doing bd! But I love the basic tones I get (have owned this amp since 16 or 1987) just where I am at I need attenuation since most attenuators are made for pre amp or speaker end sorta limited and you are right at marshman had no clue plate was that hot! Would love to cut power in half so I could saturate the clean better. I even tried Shino 12ax7a's in hopes of getting a more ragged clean thing happening. Might haveto simply get a lower wattage tube amp like a Laney CUB/Tube Screamer 5 watt. I do have a Vox Mini 3 another great amp but limited compered to a tube tone IMO

5. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I don't know what speaker is in that amp, but reducing the efficiency by 3dB would make it seem quieter at the point where distortion sets in, netting the same overall effect.

6. spacerock777

sweet I have a ton of overdrive pedals just nothing like a really clean natural overdrive its a 35 watt Eminince 12" driver

7. BiggerJohn

BiggerJohn Friend of Leo's

The Champ 12 pushes it's output tube harder than a regular Champ. That's why it uses a 6L6 and not a 6V6. 12 Watts out versus 5 or so Watts. I think putting a regular 6V6 in a Champ 12 is asking for trouble. If you really want to try it, make sure you use a JJ 6V6.

8. spacerock777

Sweet ya not sure Torres has an adjustable kit to stick any power tube in but I am werry on this from what I read. I think I will stick to my DOD 250 in clean for that channels clean crunch imo also have a few other tricks up the sleeve

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.