1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

6G3 Circuit Question

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Viejo, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

People with electronics education, what is the purpose of the.002 bypass cap on the 220K plate load resistor of the Normal channel V1 of a 6G3?

2. Jowes_84

Jowes_84 Tele-Meister

My electronics basics are very old and rusty but it seems it would attenuate high frequencies on the normal channel (vs the bright channel w/o the cap)

3. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Afflicted

It's a basic RC circuit to block specific frequencies. I think! A bit like a capacitor on a tone pot, in this case a variable resistor.

4. cobaltu

cobaltu Tele-Meister

Everyone's right. It's a 'low-pass filter' or 'high-cut', and a pretty significant on at that. It's -3dB point is ~2KHz. The normal channel should be a heck of a lot darker sounding than the bright channel.

This amp doesn't have an actual 'bright channel' in the traditional sense but an 'anti-bright channel'. Where the highs are cut on the normal channel rather than boosted on the bight channel.

jsnwhite619 likes this.
  5. dougstrum

dougstrum Friend of Leo's

A cap on the plate resistor of preamp tube is used to control squealing. It works but really kills the highs.

6. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Thank You. I was looking at the 6G3 schematic last night and I had never seen that used before. I knew someone here could enlighten me.

7. Jowes_84

Jowes_84 Tele-Meister

another special thing about the 6G3 is that compared to the later Fenders (Blackface/Silverface) there is no separate grid leak to ground at the second gain stage
    Also see the voltage divider used after that second stage in order to reduce the signal to a level that does not turn the thing into a distortion machine
    It does do things differently but it works great :) - wish I had one

8. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Afflicted

Like this? I only just got it back from the tec. I built it but left the final startup to him. The "Normal" channel is warmer, less toppy than the Bright channel, which is where the juice is. Volume halfway up equals creamy overdrive, and after that it gets more saturated rather than louder.

P1130198.JPG

NTC and Jowes_84 like this.
  9. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

I think my idea of prettiest amps ever are from the Fender brownface era. That Strat/brownface Deluxe photo ^^ belongs on a calendar or something.

Really wishing I’d not passed up a pretty good deal on a brownface Princeton many years ago...I could have some socially distant fun with one of those right about now.

10. NTC

NTC Tele-Holic

I bet jumpering the channels is very interesting. I really want to try a 6G3 - the circuit is very out of character for Fender.

Uncle Daddy, what speaker is in your amp?

11. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

I always thought that was an interesting way of doing things. I'll finally be able to hear it for myself one of these days when I finish mine. I'm embarrassed to say how long ago I started it...

IMG_20210225_221243178_HDR.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.