6g3 build with 5e3 OT? opinions?

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by jsnwhite619, Sep 23, 2019.

1. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

I'm finally getting back to a 6g3 I started last year and never made much progress. Finally got it back out this weekend and knocked a lot of it out. I originally bought a Hammond 1750H Deluxe Reverb 6.6k OT for it, but I ended up putting that on a different amp since then. That was on a Harvard, and it sounds great, but it's a lot cleaner and louder than I was expecting. I've used the 8k Hammond 1750E 5e3 OT on a Harvard before, and for easier overdrive I prefer it.

All that being said, since I have to buy a new OT for the Brown Deluxe, I'm thinking about using the 8k OT for it. Any thoughts or anyone here with experience doing that?

2. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Gotta use whatcha got to get whatcha want.

3. Wyatt

Wyatt Tele-Afflicted

Has it ever actually been documented if they used the 6K6 or 8K in the 6G3? I've seen arguments for either. I would have instinctive gone with a Tweed Deluxe OT anyway. We can compare the 5E3 and 6G3 schematics and see the later was really just a major revision of the former. It wasn't a huge change from Tweed to Brown like the bigger amps were.

4. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

That's kinda where I am on it. See both ways online but I don't know. Increased headroom & output isn't high on my list, so I'm leaning toward the 5e3 version.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.