1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

6G3 Bright Channel Hiss?

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Uncle Daddy, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Afflicted

On the back of a recent post where we spoke about a 0.003uF bypass cap on V1 plate load resistor to tame the brightness on the normal channel, could I use something similar on the other 220k resistor to cut a bit of tube hiss on the Bright channel? What would be the lowest value I could go to without impacting the tone too much?

On my build the Normal channel has zero hiss when I dime the tone pot, but it's a bit intrusive on the Bright Channel. Not much, but more than my Princeton Reverb. I'm using metal film resistors throughout, and a 7025 in V1, and understand that tube hiss is inevitable at volume.

Thanks

6g3 cap.JPG

2. Jon Snell

Jon Snell Tele-Holic

Capacitor value is a matter of choice.
    Personally I would select a valve with less hiss.

3. NTC

NTC Tele-Holic

i.e. a lower value...

4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I am not trying to be glib, but I would simply not dime the tone control. The mint 6g3 Deluxe I owned needed nothing changed in it, imho.

D'tar likes this.
  5. cobaltu

cobaltu Tele-Meister

I'm with Wally. Cranking the tone control will add a bunch of hiss almost no matter what. Besides, most of the hiss you're hearing is in the guitar's presence range (upper mids[2-5KHz]). Using a snubber cap would simply cut either very high frequencies and you would still hear hiss; or, it would start cutting valuable presence frequencies for the guitar. In which case, you wouldn't need to crank the tone control to begin with. Either way it's a case of "over EQ-ing". Also, you clearly wouldn't like this tone very much, otherwise you would just use the normal channel.

A better way to address this might be from the other direction - cut bass instead.
    This would make your overall sound brighter, but without adding a ton of hiss. Try taking the bright channel's 0.022uF coupling cap down to ~0.0047uF.

6. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

I found my 6g3 clone sounded best with the tone knob dimed. That is not an overly bright circuit. I do not remember if it hissed. All tube amps make some noise. I do remember it rocked though. Nastiest amp Fender ever made IMO.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.