1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

6G2 speaker: Weber 10F125-0 vs. DT10 -- any experience?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by King Fan, Sep 11, 2017.

1. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Background: I'm planning a 6g2, and hope to go after the vintage sound of a Jensen C10R (or Oxford 10J4).

Of note, I like a low-efficiency speaker for home use in a small music room. And I don't want an 'updated' or 'improved' sound -- my goal is to build an amp that sounds like an original would have back in the day. Oh, and music: Blues > rock > jazz, with even mix of cleans and drive, and 6g2 raw available at (loud) home levels.

Final factor: I want to broaden my variety of speaker-amp pairings. My 5f2a has a 10a100 to most closely get 1957 vintage (in a 10" version). My 5e3 has the iconic 12A125a. My PR has a vintage CTS alnico 10" that I think nails BF clean and snarl. So I don't need to go into those particular corners of the amp-speaker soundscape.

In these cases I always rely on CJ at Weber. He agreed with my impression that their 10F125-O would nicely match up to the C10R, and be low efficiency as I want. He also suggested the DT10, though, and it sounds from his description and the one online like a great choice.

"this has a larger voice coil than a C10R or the 10F125-O, but it does have a smaller magnet than the 10F125-O and will have that inefficient sound you’re looking for..."​

So: Anyone have any impressions or experience comparing these two speakers, especially in brownface territory, and most especially given my targets above?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  2. cnlbb

cnlbb Tele-Afflicted

The 10F125-O will certainly get you near where you hope to be. I know less about the DT10, however I might also suggest that Jupiter Speakers currently have the reputation for getting the vintage sound out of a new speaker.

Best in your search.

3. Snfoilhat

Snfoilhat Tele-Afflicted

When I read about the DT10, I thought it looked a little familiar. Then in a forum thread someone claimed they are based on the Pyle Driver, which is the 12" I was recently given out of the blue and am really liking.

Speaker tonal nuances are something I believe in, but lay outside my practical experience, if you follow me. Not nearly enough A/Bing to have any kind of reference points. So I can't answer your question, but I have one:
    Weber doesn't seem to publish efficiency numbers, but seem to be aware of the different efficiencies of their speakers. Do you know what 'low' means here, roughly? Like 95dB 1W 1m, or 100? or?

For bonus points: what makes it low. The ad copy on the DT10 page implies that it's the '20oz. magnet', but is it because 20oz is larger, smaller than...? Thanks and looking forward to the 6G2 build!

4. King Fan

Thanks. Jupiter and WGS are good thoughts. I shoulda said I have a Fat Jimmy 8" (basically a cousin to the Jupiter version, both derived from or built by WGS) in my VibroChamp. My buddy who has the 10" version notes it's wonderful -- but not necessarily inefficient.

5. King Fan

Thanks, my stannous friend. That's one of the reasons I email CJ with these questions. Weber doesn't publish specs. FWIW, CJ implies the 20oz magnet is smaller than that in the 10F125.

As for your intelligent questions, I only have dumb answers. Personally, I consider low efficiency in this setting as something ideally 91-93 dB. Modern Jensen naming has made it hard to look up vintage Jensen specs, but I seem to recall the R and smaller may reside down in that territory. I'll look forward to info from folks who understand this stuff.

Snfoilhat likes this.
  6. King Fan

Anyone have experience with the DT10?

7. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

I will say I played an original brown princeton a few months ago and it just had a wonderfully sweet tone...I looked in back to see one of those little jensen alnico reissues...many don't like them but on this particular amp it was a wonderful combo.

8. King Fan

Thanks. That's a good data point. If picking a speaker for a known amp is hard, it's harder still picking one for an amp you've never played.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.