6G2 Princeton Speaker

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Rock_Glenn, May 30, 2020.

1. Rock_Glenn

Rock_Glenn Tele-Meister

I've decided my next amp build is going to be the Brownface Princeton. The Mojotone Cabinet only comes in a 1 x 12 as far as I can tell.

I'm leaning heavily toward using a Weber British flavored alnico, unless you tell me that's a terrible idea.

I want something that can give me the chime/glassiness that makes a guitar sound like a piano... But I also want to be able to plug in a high gain pedal and not here fizz. I also don't want something that's going to quiet the amp down too much, I'd love to be able to keep up with a drummer.

Weber Alnico Blue ?
    Weber Thames ?
    Weber 1265 Alnico?
    Weber FC12 ?

The Silver Bell is out, I once had one and it was way too bass heavy.

2. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Well the old magic chime happened with Oxford ceramic 10j4. Hard to get that kind of chime with alnico but maybe one like a Weber or celestion blue. If you need to keep up with band maybe a cream.
    Wish you luck.

3. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

Your only choice shouldn't be just a 1 x 12". You shouldn't limit yourself to just one size speaker. A lot of good 10s out there, also. :cool:

MickM likes this.
  4. Rock_Glenn

Rock_Glenn Tele-Meister

I have a 2x12 cab with a weber ceramic California and a chicago, I can always use that with the 6g2. Normally I pump a Showman through it.

I also have a tweed deluxe with a 12a150. Looking for versatility mostly and I don't have any British voices speakers. I have concerns the alnico blue won't pair well, but it seems to be the only option to not lose the high end. Does weber even make a clone of the old oxford?

5. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I'd probably go for the Blue Dog for what you describe. (Is that what you mean by alnico blue?) They can have a high spike though! But I call that "chime".
    I would not go for the 1265 for sure. Like the Celestion G1265 they can be a bit indistinct and the top end is there, but it's kind of smooth and fizzy not chimey.

The Alnico Blue Dog should be a bit like your 12A150 but more chimey. The BD was a very popular speaker for a long time.

Not an alnico guy myself.
    Just a regular Emi Legend is a balanced, loud, chimey speaker, but ceramic.

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  6. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Weber 10f150t. Not sure of 12 id
    Imho

7. Rock_Glenn

Rock_Glenn Tele-Meister

I'll probably try the blue dog. I imagine the cleans will sound great. I worry about it taking pedals, and what it will sound like when the 6g2 is overdriven.

it'll take awhile to break in, so I guess I'll have my answer in 6 months or so.

uriah1 likes this.
  8. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

I had a 12" Celestion blue in my 6g2 for a long time. It does what you describe. I just ended up going back to a 10" speaker, and to the Eminence GA10-SC64 in particular, which I think is the ultimate 10" speaker for the American Fender 6g2 voice. But for what you're describing, a Celestion Blue will do it.

If you do look at Weber, be aware that lots of folks have commented on some differences between the Weber alnico Blue Dog and the Celestion Blue. The alnico Blue Dog can be had in lots of power ratings, and those make a difference to the tone (the higher the rating, the darker the speaker). Others have also commented that they believe the ceramic Blue Dog to be better sounding than the alnico one. I have no experience with the ceramic Blue Dog, but I can attest that the 30W Weber Blue Dog alnico is a darker speaker than the 15W Celestion Blue alnico.

uriah1 likes this.
  9. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

I have a PRRI SE 12" and after reading a writeup by Uriah, took the leap on a Celestion Cream alnico. 90 watts, 100 db. LOADS of headroom, sparkle, and chime without the ice pick. Makes the Princeton a loud sounding amp. Takes pedals well, especially overdrive. This speaker breaks up beautifully (it's a Celestion). I'm sure Weber and Eminence make approximate equivalents but I don't know their lines.

uriah1 likes this.
  10. Rock_Glenn

Rock_Glenn Tele-Meister

I noticed on weber's recommendations by amp they go with the ceramic for the ac15 and the alnico for the ac30. They seem to agree the ceramic is better for low wattage amps.

the question now is whether a 15w rating would work with the 6g2. Celestion or weber.

11. Rock_Glenn

Rock_Glenn Tele-Meister

Isn't the cream the g1265? I had one when I built my jcm800. It sounded great. Weber makes a good copy, as does warehouse and eminence, ceramics.

I'm starting to believe that finding a speaker that sounds good at 2 won't sound great at 8; and vice versa.

12. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

The Celestion Blue alnico I had in mine is 15W, but 15W is pushing the limits, if you crank the amp at all. And even if you don't, it can be harder on the speaker if you're using distortion and the like (though I don't know why using distortion would be necessary with a 6g2). 20W is safer. 30W is safer still. However, If it were mine, I'd try to keep the power handling rating on the speaker as low as I could, though, so you don't lose a bit of that chime and articulation.

The GA10-SC64 I have in mine is rated at 20W, and I'm guessing that both from Eminence and from Weber, the power handling ratings are conservative.

13. Rock_Glenn

Rock_Glenn Tele-Meister

Rock and Roll, amigo. I'll aim for 20 Watts.

14. dan40

dan40 Tele-Afflicted

The g12-65 is an older speaker that Marshall once used with their JCM800 cabs back in the 80's. They re-released them a few years ago as part of their Heritage series.

https://celestion.com/product/26/heritage_series_g1265/

The 90 watt Cream is a new alnico speaker that Celestion released a couple years ago.

https://celestion.com/product/151/celestion_cream/

They also sell a 65 watt version of the Greenback called G12m65 Creamback.

https://celestion.com/product/123/g12m65_creamback/

Pretty confusing isn't it...lol!

15. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

it's been some while but I did not find the higher wattage Blue Dog warm on the top in any way. The higher wattage universally adds low end oomfh though on a lot of their speakers. maybe skip to 2:00 to start on this:

16. sjwieczorkow

sjwieczorkow Tele-Holic

Celestion Gold worked for me!

17. Rock_Glenn

Rock_Glenn Tele-Meister

A gold is basically a blue with the "broken in" sound right?

18. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The Brownface Princeton is one of all-time favorites and gets a lot of play in my house. I had a clone built into a head so that I test it through different speakers and it really comes down to what you prefer. Do you want a sharper crisp reaction or a more mellow tone, more break up or less. These are the biggest decisions to make when picking a speaker. There are so many great speakers out there today that you would be happy with any number of them, but which is the best choice?

The BF Princeton might be the one Fender amp that I think Fender nailed it when it came to speakers. The original Jensen C10R was the perfect choice. The Jensen P10Q would also be good as would the Jensen P12R since they are so similar to the Tremolux before it. Unfortunately, the Italian remakes do not sound like the originals and are actually my least favorite choices. I would look for a good original or else find a Weber or WGS speaker with similar specs.

I run mine mostly through an Altec-Lansing 817-8C or a reconed old Oxford 12T that I had in another cabinet....they both sound great. I have also run it through a 2x12 cab with a V30 and G12H speaker it sounds pretty good as well, but I prefer the alnico the most.

19. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

Eminence Red White Blue. You're welcome

20. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Mojotone will usually do alternative-size speaker baffles for their cabinets if requested.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.