1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

6G2 Princeton DIY Layout

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by 82LesPaul, Apr 3, 2019.

1. 82LesPaul

82LesPaul TDPRI Member

With such a high interest in the 6G2 Princeton and all the help I have recieved from the site I thought it was time to try and pay it forward. While recovering from shoulder surgey I figured it was a great time to learn DIYLC. I appreciatively borrowed a 5E3 layout from Rob's site as a starting point and downloaded additional building blocks and componet variants from Doug Hoffman's site. Lots of fun (and frustration) putting this together (especially left handed being a righty)! I based the design off the Fender 6G2 schematic and layout using Classictone 40-18027 Power and 40-18045 output transformers. The only mods from the original are the individual filter caps, rectifier diodes, 6V6 grid stopper and screen resistors, 1/4 tremolo pedal jack and Hoffman modified Princeton bias circuit. I included an optional impedance selector switch to take advantage of the OT 4 ohm tap. Please feel free to critique, expose errors and flaws, etc. I will clean up and be more than happy to provide .diy file.

6G2 Ver 1.png

2. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire

That's really great. Thank you. I don't think most folks realize how much work and time (and fun) it is to draw a layout like that. I'm also a recent learner of DIYLC, and a 6G2 builder, so I'll try to study this for fun -- but I'm not one of those eagle eyes who can spot every wire and value out of place. In the meantime, I gotta ask where you found the building blocks on Hoffman's site. It may be obvious -- but his site is vast.

As an observation, not a criticism, I've learned here that it's UL / EU standard to anchor the household green safety ground on a mechanically and electrically separate, dedicated bolt, although many builders do mount on a PT bolt. The experts here say they often see PT bolts come in loose on amps that have a few trips around the sun. That left sidewall is an easy and safe place to drill such a hole. Slightly less vital, but still logical for the same reasons, many 'better builds' run a separate, non-PT bolt for the power amp grounds.

Then as an idea for your consideration, I see where Rob has started drawing DPST power switches to switch both hot and neutral. This is also EU standard, and provides extra safety against all those "amp falls to floor, fuse blows, ground fails, and outlet is wired backwards" scenarios -- unlikely but possible. In simple building terms, it also provides a simple, obvious tie point for the neutral to PT primary, and lets you run hot and neutral twisted or at least paralleled all the way to the switch. Not stock, but in many ways simpler and cleaner than the ways I've done it in the past.

jtcnj likes this.
  3. Mongo Park

Mongo Park Tele-Holic

Beauty, glad to see more interests in the 6G2, it is a great amp that has been gaining momentum on this site for a while now.

4. 82LesPaul

82LesPaul TDPRI Member

King Fan thanks for the feedback on the layout. I will take a look at some of Rob's layouts and modify as necessary (would not want someone to adopt a bad practice based on this). Here is the link to the building blocks on Hoffman's site. They are item #2. In addition, items 6, 7, 8 and 10 can also be imported. You can import .xml files into DIYLC. Doug Hoffman also has some nice DIYLC tutorial videos on you tube (just search DIYLC).

5. King Fan

Thanks, but ? no link? Or am I failing to see it?

6. 82LesPaul

82LesPaul TDPRI Member

7. King Fan

Thanks!!! Very helpful. Doug has a real Aladdin's Cave online.

On that page, as you say, I downloaded the .xml file, and then opened it in DIYLC with File->Integration->Import Building Blocks...

I learn something here every day, thanks again.

8. 82LesPaul

82LesPaul TDPRI Member

That's it. I found his youtube videos helpful also. That is how I discovered his files.

Prophetsnake likes this.
  9. wmtunate

wmtunate NEW MEMBER!

@82LesPaul - Do you mind posting the .diy file? I've been thinking about building a modified version of this in the shell of a broken Super Champ X2 and I'd like to use your layout as a starting point. Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  10. 82LesPaul

82LesPaul TDPRI Member

Forum does not allow upload of file with .diy extension. I sent you a message and would be happy to email. Super Champ X2 will be a great platform to start with.

11. King Fan

Decent. Hmm, if it's not too much trouble, I'd like to 'borrow' your file too. I can PM if you want. Or...

*If* you want to share the diy file with the forum, I find Dropbox is a free, handy way to upload links. Oh, and secure, and also makes sure I don't lose a laborious DIY file if my local HD dies. Heck, Dropbox even has versioning (go to the web version for this) which is super-helpful for DIYLC where (at least for me) Save and Save As don't always seem to work as intended.

Paul-T likes this.
  12. wmtunate

wmtunate NEW MEMBER!

Some fixes for the layout:

• Pin 8 of both output tubes is shown floating. They need to be grounded.
    • The NFB resistor is not connected.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    Big-ez and Paul-T like this.
  13. 82LesPaul

82LesPaul TDPRI Member

@wmtunate thanks for the corrections. Here is version 2 with the updates. King Fan I will PM you for contact info. Thanks.

6G2 Ver 2.png

FRANKENJAG likes this.
  14. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

anybody made up a parts list?

15. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

If you name the parts correctly DIYLC will create a BOM with: File/Analyze/Create B.O.M.

Urshurak776 likes this.
  16. 82LesPaul

82LesPaul TDPRI Member

I created a BOM. It's a start, but I would reference layout and schematic for accuracy.

6G2 Ver 2 BOM.png

robrob likes this.
  17. King Fan

Your BOM is elegant. Just cuz I had it in my files, here's mine. This is for the amp *as I built it*, with inboard filter caps, diodes on the rectifier, etc.

6g2 BOM.png

Last edited: May 6, 2019
    robrob likes this.
  18. Paul-T

Paul-T Tele-Meister

@King Fan , if I remember right you've also made a Princeton Reverb.

How would you compare that vs the 6G2? The tremolo is only a minor consideration but I'd be interested in that difference, plus the broad picture.

19. RatBug

RatBug Tele-Meister

Is there anywhere with the Dimensions of that Eyelet/Turret Board?

20. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

The board is to scale so you can open the file and read the dimensions.

D'tar likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.