6G2 chassis: The never-ending search?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by King Fan, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

King Fan likes this.
  2. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

Thanks, @Bill Moore , I saw that too. The power cutout where the fuse should be means it's the Mojo. Admittedly the $175 price includes faceplates, but if you wanted a Mojo-style chassis you could get the zachmdhunter for $50.

Bill Moore likes this.
  3. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

If you could find this one for sale anywhere - I can't - it would get you closer with the Deluxe size and 305v secondaries option.

This is a pretty interesting PT though. Sized for a Fender Deluxe w/230mA rating, 355v/305v options, bias tap - looks like it would be perfect for 6L6 Deluxe projects. But, I can't find it available online anywhere.

https://www.hammfg.com/files/parts/pdf/290DAX.pdf

King Fan likes this.
  4. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

I believe the FDP-20M is 294 v. I will double check

Full disclosure: I have accumulated a **** ton of Mercury transformers over a 10 year period by waiting patiently and striking when the prices fell to bargain levels. I'm about ready to weaponize them.

5. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

Late addition: I've read Doug Hoffman's amp pages pretty thoroughly, and I recall he describes this method for fitting a PT in an oversized hole, using fender (not Fender!) washers. But I see now he has a picture of it on EL34. So if you end up wanting to use the Mojo chassis or the zachmdhunter repro, this might help you fit a 'correct' PT.

upload_2019-7-21_7-14-24.png

Junior Little likes this.
  6. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Afflicted

I've never used a brass plate, just a buss wire on the pots, Hoffman style. I haven't had any problems with a Switchcraft 12A, a zinc plated 3/8" internal tooth washer, a 16 gauge chassis, and a roughly 16 gauge faceplate. I always leave out the little flat washer.

7. mabinogeon

mabinogeon Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I will have to try that, even though it looks a bit sloppy. Just started to assemble a 5F2A in a Zach Hunter 6G2 chassis, and sure enough, the transformer cutout is too big... Too bad I didn't see this thread first.

I was planning to fab a new mounting plate out of aluminum. I may do that anyway, as I think it would look a bit nicer than a bunch of fender washers.

I thought the 6G2 chassis would be perfect, as I added a presence control and a couple of switchable mods to fill the few extra holes:

8. mabinogeon

I don't think that's the case. I thought that at first as well, but if you look at pics of a genuine 6G2, the power cord enters on the underside of the chassis. The backplate has the ground switch, the fuse, the power switch, the speaker jacks, and the trem jack:

[​IMG]

This strain relief fit in the hole on the underside of the 6G2 chassis:
    https://tubedepot.com/products/heyco-pg7-m3444-watertight-strain-relief

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
    Wally likes this.
  9. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

10. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Wow you guys like to torture yourselves.

I worked on an original 6G2 about 40 years ago. I thought it was a crappy amp at the time. I've never re- visited it.

I figure someone should offer a 6G2 chassis that goes together easily with readily available parts. "Champ" transformer, "Deluxe" transformer... I don't care. Pick one and send me a chassis with the right knockout. Just don't send me one with the weird intermediate size used in '50s five tube radios.

...like the Mojotone 5F11 chassis.

Way I figure it a 6G2 in a 5F11 chassis would be cool except that Mojo's 5F11 chassis still uses a one off PT.

It would be nice if manufacturers offered a couple versions of the same chassis, one vintage correct another one easily assembled with readily available parts.

I probably mentioned I have two designs that don't exist yet in any tangible form. Not on my bench, anyway. Not yet. One will be a non- reverb Princeton built on a Vibro Champ chassis. That's a mash up that's easy to visualize and easy enough to build with readily available parts.

The other one will be a tidied up version of a point to point bargain bin amp that kicked my ass a few years ago. Turns out there are at least four different versions of it and none of 'em match the schematic. I mention it because that one is going on a readily available 6G3 chassis. It will be built with readily available parts.

Of course there's the internal conflict. Should I built it stock even though I know I can built it better? I'm leaning towards a Pro Stock version with a broader range of tones.

One more comment:

If we're trying to build an authentic 6G2 it seems counterproductive to buy chassis products that aren't authentic. My hope would be someone would step up and offer an authentic chassis. Seems Mojotone is stepping away from this one.

mabinogeon likes this.
  11. mabinogeon

Well, yeah. Isn't that what we do here? If we didn't obsess over the tiniest, most pointless details we'd all just buy Fender Reissue amps! :D

I wasn't even alive 40 years ago... Those cool old amps are getting harder to come by. (Especially way up here in the north woods)

That would be nice. I spoke with Zach Hunter about doing a couple different options and he said that isn't really feasible, as he has a local shop bend them and drill them and they have a minimum order of 20pcs. He doesn't want to inventory all that.

Make it yours! I was lamenting the Zach Hunter 6G2 chassis in this thread because I am building a 5F2A in it and the transformer cutout is too big (and I bought two chassis so I could build a 5F2A for a friend, as well. Maybe I'll build him a 5E3 instead, since the cutouts are sized for that). My next build will be a 5E5, but incorporating the NFB loop from the 5E5-A and a few other little changes.

12. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

The Mojo 5f11 chassis is cut & spaced for a Champ sized PT. Hammond 290AX fits, mine has a 290CAX, but I don't know if it's still offered. But anything that fits a Champ or Princeton Reverb should fit.

As far as the 6G2 chassis being cut for Deluxe Reverb iron, I've got no idea. My buddy built one and it was a monster. But, not one I would want. The big 6.6k OT killed it for me. Just way too clean.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

13. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

If you want to see a reissue faux pas look at the PT in the DRRI. Stock is about 660vCT @ 120ma. The reissue has more like 150ma- 180ma on tap. It's bigger and heavier. An original Deluxe Reverb PT has smaller mounting centers and is physically smaller.

Coupla things... I guess Fender didn't want to see warrantee send- backs from musicians using 6L6s in their DRRIs. It's not a common practice but it happens. Good to know the reissue will take it.

I guess the other goal is to make the DRRI as heavy as possible so geezers heft a DRRI at GC then damn hear bash themselves in the chin with the similar appearing Tonemaster.

I'll be building a 5F2 or two. It's the usual Amp Arms Race. Built a guy a 5F1 and it's cool but he wants more.

My challenge is to build it louder but not so loud it wastes his Crema.

:cool:

King Fan likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.