6G2 chassis: The never-ending search?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by King Fan, Jul 10, 2019.

1. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Background: Our friend @keithb7 built a 6G2 with a Mojo chassis and noted though nice overall, it had a too-big PT cutout and (weirdly) the fuse and power cord cutouts were switched. Trying to avoid all that, I bought a correctly punched aluminum chassis that needed almost all the other holes drilled. Tedious.

Now I may have a chance to build one for a friend. I see Mojo has stopped listing their 6G2 chassis, and although they still seem to sell it on Reverb, it still has the holes wrong.

Then I find that nice small shop on eBay, zachmdhunter, makes a good-looking chassis. But the pictures suggest they copied all of Mojo's holes, and a question to them confirms it.

Now, I know, Keith made a beautiful laser-cut steel adapter for his PT, and I've since learned you can mount a fuse in a double-D power cord cutout (use a star washer) *and* you can drill out a fuse hole to accept a strain relief. I forget what size hole, and the strain relief will rotate. Do-able, not elegant.

Best solution I've seen was by @theprofessor , who used a PR chassis in his build. Elegant, spacious, and a few extra portholes for upgraded passengers...

Does someone make a 'correct' 6G2 chassis?

2. Junior Little

Junior Little Tele-Meister

3. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

Is it cut for a bigger deluxe reverb PT? What was the adapter for?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

King Fan likes this.
  4. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

I'd love to know if you find a dedicated 6g2 chassis with everything perfect. Of course my idea to use a PR chassis came from Jim Nickelson of Lil' Dawg, who told me that's what he does on his Choco Prince. So I was just really copying him. But, man, it worked out really, really well. Still, I'd be interested in a dedicated 6g2 chassis, so that the controls could be spaced "properly" (meaning, 6g2 properly).

King Fan likes this.
  5. King Fan

Yes you’re right. Mojo used their DR PT, where a Champ / PR size is correct.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Junior Little likes this.
  7. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

If you end up just having to make do with the DR PT, stick with an 8k OT vs the 6.6k DR option and I think maybe the essence of the amp will still be there, just more of it. My last Harvard build with the 6.6k OT was radically different sounding and cleaner than anything I've done with the 8k 5e3 OT I normally use. My friend's 6g2 started with a 6.6k OT and swapped it for the Hammond 1750e after he heard my Vibrolux.

8. Junior Little

Junior Little Tele-Meister

Yea, I saw that after I posted and couldn't figure out how to delete my post.
    I believe he will cut a different size if you ask...worth a shot anyway.

9. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

The DR PT would be a good thing. Tighten things up for headroom without going too far. IMHO

drf64 likes this.
  10. King Fan

Yeh, Mojo no doubt considered their DR PT an upgrade, and no doubt many modern builders wouldn't object to bigger iron.

Two reasons I didn't go there: 1) Many 6G2 owners love the stock amp and its stock 125P1A has to be part of that, and 2) Many 6G2 builders are searching for that elusive schematic B+ of 315V -- the Mojo (Heyboer) 761 with its 354V HV is not going there.

Keith, IIRC, went for the Hammond 290CAX, I went for the ClassicTone 40-18027, both of which offer a low-voltage tap at 275V.

The guy I would build this for wants one because he heard mine, so aside from vintage-osity or schematic B+ targets, that's gonna have me running a PT that fits a 2x2.5" cutout.

Wally likes this.
  11. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

That's what I'm counting on. I'll drop a lower B+ Merc in there.

12. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Afflicted

The Zachmdhunter chassis are exact copies of the Mojotone chassis. They've admited that to me at least in email. No objections here, all of my PR builds came from them, and I've got 2 Vibro Champ chassis from them sitting in a box. One of these days I'm going to commission them to do some custom stuff, to fix what I perceive is wrong with the Princeton Reverb chassis, add mounting holes for a DR output transformer, and circuit grounds.

This is what I've considered doing. Although still not ideal, a custom faceplate would help.

King Fan likes this.
  13. King Fan

Phryg reminds me, Professor, how did you solve the faceplate issue?

Hmm. My buddy might like MM; they do say their 'FBPP' is a 125P1A clone, but do they list their B+? For that matter, do they list the cutout size or mounting centers? I know they answer email questions, but I kinda like a 'store' where things have informative labels.

Phrygian77 likes this.
  14. theprofessor

Jim Nickelson was kind enough to send me to the person who makes the face-plates for his builds. Her name is Sandy Henry, and her company is Precision Design: http://www.precisiondesignin.com/

I simply told her that I was looking to piggy-back on Jim's Choco Prince face-plate, and for a lesser design fee (since she wasn't working from scratch), she let me tweak a few things here and there to make it my own. It fit perfectly.

IMG_0587.JPG custom fp final.png

DennisM, Phrygian77, King Fan and 3 others like this.
  15. schmee

Yeah, Sandy made this one for me years ago. They're plastic but good. (don't buy the short shank pots!)
    [​IMG]

King Fan and theprofessor like this.
  16. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Afflicted

How thick are we talking? More than 1/16"?

17. LudwigvonBirk

LudwigvonBirk Tele-Holic

Kingfan, you should rig up for one-off chassis fabbing. Bending brake and some hole punching stuff and the usual bits, you'd love it. Putting ~50 precise holes in a chassis is an experience to be had.

Bonus: Upping your metal-working and precision-measurement chops will instantly translate towards upgrading your subtle micro-climate Wasatch ski tuning requirements (which, I presume you must have)

King Fan and D'tar like this.
  18. theprofessor

I just had a look at mine, but I can't measure it without pulling the chassis. I think it's 1/16" or very slightly more than that. I did not use any special pots (mine were the Mojo CTS ones). I did end up using the long thread Switchcraft jacks for the inputs, but I don't think that was absolutely necessary. If you were to use the regular-length jacks, though, the nut would be flush with the end of the threads.

Phrygian77 likes this.
  19. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

Man! This thread is not doing anything to control my desire to buy a brown Princeton. Although Jim said he could also build me a 6g6B baseman in a Wonderdawg chassis. I'd gain clean headroom but lose tha vibrato. Sorry, didn't mean to hijack.

20. schmee

Not sure,but I'm guessing just slightly more than 1/16". Sandy can tell you. I wouldnt doubt if it's metric, maybe 2mm? No...that would be about .080.. I dont think it's that thick. But if you use thick star washers on the pot, have a thick chassis, a brass back plate, etc it all adds up. The thin "star" washers would be ok I suppose.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.