1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

6G16 changing power supply caps from 16uf to 22uf?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by OahuClay, Jan 26, 2021.

change these to 22uf's?

1. hell yes

100.0%
  2. absolutely not get more 16 uf's

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. OahuClay

OahuClay TDPRI Member

So I am straightening out a kit build gone bad, and the main cap board was installed upside down and constructed poorly so no problem right we'll just rebuild it. The 16uf caps are pretty butchered and I have a lot of 22uf's at 500v and that's my plan so if you think the tone will suffer let me know. I feel pretty good about it. I guess not everybody should build a kit. IMG_4479.jpg IMG_4481.jpg IMG_4481.jpg IMG_4481.jpg

2. Nickfl

Nickfl Friend of Leo's

I think it will make almost no difference and I wouldn't think twice about it.

Also for what it's worth I'm not sure I'd even bother replacing those filter caps, I mean what's wrong with them, you don't like the splicing? It's kind of bobo, but I doubt there's any actual practical problem with it unless the original builder overheated the caps or something but they don't look like there's anything wrong with them and if they check out electrically I'd probably just keep them. Sometimes people on amp building forums get way too hung up on the looks of the electronics IMO...

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    Jesco, NTC, King Fan and 2 others like this.
  3. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Heh, I resemble that remark. :):):)

Me, I’m sympathetic to replacing 'em. Yeah it may just be looks. But there are a lot of solder joints there, each one done differently and badly, and in ways that make reflowing 'em uncertain to be solid. Bad solder joints aren’t just looks. It’s true I'm guilty of thinking too much about looks, but it’s also true we often see ugly amps that don’t work...

OahuClay likes this.
  4. Intubator

Intubator Tele-Holic

Bawlmer, MD- Home of the "Mayor Shuffle"...
    If it were me I'd keep the caps after testing them. At the very least I'd double check the layout with a schematic, re solder all the joints and trim some of the lead tips back a bit to prevent shorting. The one with the black cloth insulation on the tip looks like it has no solder, could be a problem.

OahuClay likes this.
  5. Nickfl

Nickfl Friend of Leo's

Yeah, thats true, there is definitely a correlation...

Personally, I'd test the caps and if they were good I would splice new wire onto the leads and heat shrink the joint, you could have the best of both worlds that way, cheap and neat!

OahuClay likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.