6G14-A Build Log

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by lljsullins, Feb 28, 2020.

1. lljsullins

lljsullins TDPRI Member

Building my first amplifier after a while of waiting to do it. Started on the heater wiring last night. Grade me! It’s my first time. I did hookup the pilot light to the transformer and the fuse holder and AC switch.

1FD5D9BD-1B28-4A54-A4BA-E12D362E3151.jpeg

RoscoeElegante, dan40 and Snfoilhat like this.
  2. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

that's a pretty complex project for a first amp! I admire your aspiration. Looks good so far, keep testing everything as you go - it will be a beauty.

Snfoilhat likes this.
  3. Mr Ridesglide

Mr Ridesglide Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Looks neat from this angle. Some real pros in building this amp as a first project are (and I’m sure there are more):
    1. Lots of room to work in and see what’s what
    2. A very versatile amp when done.
    3. There are a lot of build threads on all the forums for help, ideas and solutions for this amp.

the only real con is that there’s quite a bit to the amp. “Only” one channel, but still plenty busy!
    Have at it and have fun. You will learn tons and be very happy shortly, as it will go fairly quickly.

4. Euphonica

Euphonica Tele-Meister

Hey Liam! Cool to see you post here too. (DeathTide Danny here!)

5. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Being mildly anal... I'd give the heater wiring a C (I might be kinda harsh and worry too much about appearance, though).

I like using the method of putting a hook of stiff wire in a hand drill, putting the middle of my heater wire in it, and clamping the other ends in a vise... Then, I slowly run the drill until the wire is tightly wound and even looking.

Here's what mine usually looks like:

[​IMG]

But, there have been a few discussions recently about heater wiring and how to do it... Some do straight parallel lines, some do tight twists, some sit it up in the air and some tuck it up tight to the chassis. It seems none of them are wrong. Each has it's own appeal.

Honestly, though, as long as you have paid attention to keeping them in phase, you should be golden and could probably receive a solid B grade. :D

6. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Tele-Holic

If the power transformer does not have a heater center tap, you will want to create one to keep hum to a minimum.

7. lljsullins

lljsullins TDPRI Member

I'd assume it does already! Nothing on the schematic is there for "adding" one. I'm using Fender style classic tone transformer for this.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  8. lljsullins

lljsullins TDPRI Member

Hey!

9. lljsullins

lljsullins TDPRI Member

That's one of the reasons why I picked it. It's such a big chassis to work with, even when you take a look at the diagram or schematic it's kinda simple in "building"

10. lljsullins

lljsullins TDPRI Member

Complex but it's possible with time and effort!

11. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Tele-Holic

The heater center tap would be a green and yellow wire.
    The classictone 40-18004 will need an artificial heater center tap.
    The classictone 40-18042 has a center tap.

12. lljsullins

lljsullins TDPRI Member

Any idea how I can make an artificial center tap? And yes I am using the 40-18004.

13. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

You can loop about 10' of heater wire around a nail and put the two loose ends in a drill chuck. Use the drill slowly and you will get a good tight twist for your filament wire. Enough twisted pairs for several amps

14. Mongo Park

Mongo Park Tele-Holic

Yah that’s a lot of amp, should be a great build. Twist up those heater wires tight and twisted as far down to the tubes as you can get them. Might
    As well do it world class since you are taking the time to build it yourself.
    Center tap, two 100k resistors.

tubedood likes this.
  15. Mongo Park

Mongo Park Tele-Holic

Sorry correction. 100 ohm. NOT 100k.

Lowerleftcoast likes this.
  16. lljsullins

lljsullins TDPRI Member

I'll be redoing the heater wiring because I want to take pride in my first build, not sloppy. I'll be doing that after I get everything else done.

Nickfl, Axis29 and Lowerleftcoast like this.
  17. Mongo Park

Mongo Park Tele-Holic

Check out Rob’s site most excellent information
    From his site, with due respect:
    Heater Artificial Center Tap
    Install a 6.3v filament heater artificial center tap (sometimes called "artificial ground"). If your 5E3 power transformer did not come with a 6.3v heater center tap then you should add an 'artificial center tap' to reduce 60Hz heater hum. It does this by balancing the voltage between the two heater wires. When each wire carries an equal AC voltage 60Hz hum will be cancelled out by twisting the heater wires. Unbalanced voltage will allow some hum to leak out. If your power transformer has a 6.3v center tap then I recommend you use that instead of this 'artificial center tap,' but do not try to use both real and artificial center taps together.

You simply connect both 6.3v green heater wires to ground through two 100ohm 1/2 watt resistors. I like to place the resistors on one of the power tube's socket as shown below.

Filament Heater Artificial Center Tap
    [​IMG]

Filament heater artificial center tap consists of two 100 ohm 1/2 watt resistors connected between either one of the power tube socket's pins 2 and 7 (heater wires) and pin 8 (cathode). This works in both cathode bias amps (elevates the heater ground) or fixed bias amps (grounded cathode). Do this only on one power tube. These resistors are not required if your power transformer has a 6.3v center tap.

18. lljsullins

lljsullins TDPRI Member

So did the deluxe reverb do this back in the day from the pilot light to ground? I think I saw that somewhere.

19. tubedood

tubedood Tele-Meister

100 ohm I believe for center tap?

20. tubedood

tubedood Tele-Meister

Ooops Mongo already corrected :)
    Looks like a great amp so far!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.