69 Thinline build with body found in a dumpster...

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Kriticaster, Jun 5, 2018.

1. NICQ

NICQ Tele-Meister

I have finished a couple of guitars with Tru Oil and it can be made glossy if you apply a lot of layers and sand/polish a lot but if you apply just a couple of thin layers the grain/surface will show through nevertheless and keep a raw feel to it..
    It is a bit glossy by itself but can be made satin with steel wool / high grade sandpaper if you want to get rid of the gloss totally

Tru Oil is very often used on necks because it has this slightly amber tinted honey like colour and on bodies is really makes the grain pop..
    The more coats you apply the darker it gets - starts with a very light yellow on the first coats

About the sanding - you can use the sanding attachment on your power drill but do not use grit unter 120 as that will take off wood quickly... use it on the front/backside and sand the sides and curves by hand with a sanding block
    I'd go 120 and then 180 - 240 then Tru Oil

You do not need to grainfill/repair the cuts for the look you are going for - just leave them open as they are
    If you wanted to stain and go for an even high gloss finish you could fill the cracks with woodfiller and sand that flat before staining

I'd go for a uniform look and sand the whole thing off carefully - especially the black back - then some thin layers of tru oil and be done with it...

btw I was on holidays in Crete 2 years ago on the beautiful beach of Phalasarna - loved it there!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    Kriticaster likes this.
  2. Kriticaster

Kriticaster Tele-Holic

Thanks Nicq, appreciate the advice...

I’m really not going to try to go high gloss on this body (just doesn’t feel right) but I think a natural oiled look would be perfect!

Do you recommend tru oil over tung oil??

Also does the oil raise the grain a bit?

If I sand the back I’ll need to remove the string ferrels... is that easy enough to do? Poke something through from the front I guess?

I’ve been thinking about a second build (already? Don’t tell my wife!) for a surf green or daphne blue solid-body tele with a bigsby trem, with that thin nitro (I think) look with the grain showing through...

I can’t really find a good pic online of what I mean, and don’t know how it’s achieved...

But this is a vague approximation of the look:

IMG_5128.JPG

Or kinda like this... but not really:

IMG_5126.JPG

(Apologies for posting a strat in the Tele forum!)

To my mind it would seem that it needs some sort of treatment to raise the grain, then a thin cover of paint, followed by gentle rubbing back to let the grain show through... maybe with a final coat of transparent lacquer on top...

So it’s not exactly reliced, more like it’s actually an old guitar with the paint sunk into the grain...

Do you know how to achieve that effect? Am I on the right track??

I shouldn’t even be thinking about this... But I am [emoji23]

And yes Crete is amazing! I’ve not been to Phalasarna but heard that it’s nice there... it’s really a deceptively large island, plenty to see and do [emoji3] I highly recommend it to anyone for both the beach life and the diverse musical offerings - loads of retired Brits living out their rock god fantasies towards the western end of the island, and plenty of Greek, Cretan and Balkan music all around... in my ‘village’ of 5000 people it seems that every other person is an accomplished musician or singer... quite daunting in many ways [emoji32]

If there are any British royalists on the site... Prince Charles and Lady Camilla came to our village of Archanes about a month ago... was quite an event!

Of course the confused Greek translation was that ‘King Carlos is coming with a Camel’

+[emoji248]=[emoji23]

NWinther likes this.
  3. Kriticaster

Kriticaster Tele-Holic

[emoji146] +[emoji248]=[emoji23]

Emojis are not behaving!

4. Smiff

Smiff Tele-Holic

Real Fender Thinlines are (or at least were) hollowed from the back and have a 1/4” cap put on the back. 5mm is nearly 1/4” I guess, so what you describe is likely to be that.

Kriticaster likes this.
  5. maxvintage

maxvintage Poster Extraordinaire

I would fill those dents and holes and make it a solid color. That would be my choice.

Fill the dents and holes with Bondo, which is used in automotive repair. Here in the US it's in hardware and auto parts stores. It's extremely tough, sands well, and it can make a completely invisible fill. But its kind of a pink color, so only good for a solid color finish

Alternatively, fill the dents with high viscosity super glue, and then sand flat., They will still be visible, but you won't feel them

Kriticaster likes this.
  6. Kriticaster

Kriticaster Tele-Holic

Thanks for the advice...

I really wanted to keep the wood finish and also minimise the work (sanding, filling, painting etc) but as I’m now thinking about a second guitar that I will likely paint... my initial argument isn’t really valid anymore [emoji23]

The jury is out on this one at present... so I may just assemble as is and revisit later for a proper finish...

Probably other parts will need upgrading later too, so may do all at once... as time and budget allows...

7. gee.

gee. Tele-Meister

If it's a real Fender, I'd leave the body as is and put a nice neck and hardware on it and rock it like that.

8. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Meister

An old Deluxe Strat that I used to own had BECK stamped in the neck pickup route like that. I always assumed they used a Jeff Beck body for the deluxe. Chances are good that it's a Fender body.

Kriticaster likes this.
  9. capt pearl

capt pearl Tele-Meister

Agee 100%. Cool wear and tear and a great story. Add a good basic neck, decent pups, and the aged hardware and you’re good-to-go!(I actually wrote basically the same post after Post 1 but must have not sent it. Grrrrr!)

Kriticaster likes this.
  10. Kriticaster

Kriticaster Tele-Holic

Finally got around to taking pictures of the body to dispel the veneer idea...

A Cretan wedding got in the way... pics of that too, for your interest!

IMG_5201.JPG

IMG_5202.JPG

IMG_5203.JPG

So that’s the guitar... I’m pretty certain there isn’t a veneer... and the back piece is about 4-5mm thick...

And this is the wedding of Dimitri and Anastasia... They’re our neighbours, and we’re vaguely related through my wife’s niece marrying Dimitri’s cousin... So in Cretan terms we’re certainly IN the family!

IMG_5141.JPG
    The setting, holy mount Yuktas, apparently has the face of Zeus in the mountain looking to the sky...

IMG_5145.JPG

IMG_5158.JPG

IMG_5178.JPG
    The dinner venue, we were on Table X, misfits and foreigners... but also one of the last tables standing! The sun was coming up when we went to bed...

IMG_5184.JPG
    The groom serenading his new wife

IMG_5195.JPG
    And dancing on a chair, just because!

The hangover today wasn’t as bad as the hangover on Friday morning following the warm up on Thursday night [emoji23]

Skamania, fattboyzz, Ekko and 4 others like this.
  11. Pointmonger

Pointmonger Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, I'd find a neck you like and leave the body alone. Great story behind the wear. Trash-caster.

El Tele Lobo and Kriticaster like this.
  12. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

This! 100%. Leave well enough alone and enjoy the character and the story that comes with it. It’s much more interesting as it is. If you go trying to perfect it or make it pretty, especially if you’re new to finishing, you may end up just messing up your good thing Or just creating a lot of work and frustration for yourself. Not to say that you couldn’t do it. I don’t mean that. I just think you should throw a neck on it that looks decent and some aged hardware like you were talking about them play the heck out of it. Good luck!

Kriticaster likes this.
  13. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

Those photos don't eliminate the possibility of veneer.

Kriticaster likes this.
  14. Kriticaster

Kriticaster Tele-Holic

Thanks for the vote of confidence [emoji41][emoji106]
    I’m going to leave her as is for now and just make her somewhat reliced and unique... get her playable and yes play the heck out of her!

It’s killing me waiting for all the parts to arrive...

I am already brewing an idea for another Tele with a funky deep grained and aged paint finish... Have started a thread to research the technique and am somewhat confident that I can pull it off... So will channel all of my finishing desires that way...

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  15. Kriticaster

Kriticaster Tele-Holic

Really? I thought I’d put that one to bed...

Can you post some pics of veneers so I can see what you mean?

I’m quite sure there isn’t a veneer... but I am a noobie (to guitar wood and finishes)

esetter likes this.
  16. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

I think you should definitely do that. Those pictures you posted of what you were aiming for and looked really cool, especially the telecaster one. You will have a blast and you’ll learn so much. Make sure you do a build thread on here so we can follow your progress. By the way, I forgot to mention in my last post… Congrats on finding a cool body In the rubbish bin. I’m betting you’re going to turn it into something cool before you’re through.

Kriticaster likes this.
  17. Kriticaster

Kriticaster Tele-Holic

Yes indeed!
    A build thread will be a cert!
    This is supposed to be a build thread but there isn’t much building going on...
    It’s taking ages for everything to arrive from all over the world, into Greece, and then Crete, and then to my village...
    We had some other stuff sent back because apparently the postmen can’t be 4$$ed to find the place if they don’t know it already...
    Hopefully doesn’t happen to my guitar parts thou! The other stuff I ordered from eBay arrived ok, so hopefully all goes to the same post office (there are two, one is good, the other one not so much)

Then I can start building and posting pics...

I found the body around September or October last year so would be great to have her finished, playable and fully setup by then... her first birthday!

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  18. Kriticaster

Kriticaster Tele-Holic

@El Tele Lobo - these are some more accurate effects that I’m looking to get for the second project... Closest thing I could find was the Palir Epic Mojo guitars... kinda shipwreck-y...

IMG_5131.JPG

IMG_5135.JPG

IMG_5134.JPG

IMG_5137.JPG

IMG_5138.JPG

The blue colours are really catching my imagination!

BradL and El Tele Lobo like this.
  19. NWinther

NWinther Friend of Leo's

Rakomelocaster Για μασ. ...Nice find indeed.

Kriticaster likes this.
  20. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

The saga of my own Trashcaster, double-tapped and left for dead. This was a Squire Affinity, the body inlays were to repair prior owner's mods, finish is hand-applied polyurethane. I also have a rescued MIM, but I only restored that one no refinishing -- although it has an interesting factory finish tale.

The veneers run out in the edge radius if you have them, I sanded the top through the veneer to get to solid wood but left the back veneer intact. If yours is a custom shop body I doubt they would put a veneer on it plus why do that if the body is meant for relic. But it may have veneers as a smart factory would take the finish rejects from the main line, stamp relic in them and let the custom shop work their magic.

[​IMG]

A cool look for guitar bodies is a solid color back and sides with a sanded/clear-finished top. You kind of have that already with a little more painting on the sides. That's what I'd do. Then lightly burst stain the top (what I attempted with my Squier). Leave all the cosmetic nicks and dings in place, only do repairs to what could compromise the strength and durability of the body.

The saw cut on the side can be filled with glue on a thin piece of wood slid in then sanded flush. Any long deep cracks you find should have 'Thin CA' wicked into them -- I've had that run up a crack that was twelve inches long in a board. My Epi SG G400 I play often had a crack cross-wise to the control cavity when I got it that I strengthened with CA (then drop-filled the finish).

When you get done, make an index card writeup of what you uncovered and added to the guitar and put in the control cavity where you can remember later or if you sell your guitar the next player can have the cool history.

El Tele Lobo and Kriticaster like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.