'69 Tele - replacement tuner recommendations

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by good.wood, Apr 1, 2020.

1. good.wood

good.wood NEW MEMBER!

My '69 tuners have fallen apart (F-Style). I thought maybe the re-issue F-Style vintage ('70's) might fit, NOT. They are a tad bigger, the collar is bigger, screws not in same spot, so what do you guys recommend?

I thought about selling this, but when you hold an old friend you just can't let'em go. I don't want to increase the tuner hole size because ultimately all that niggly stuff about being all original gets affected.

When I bought this back in '84 from the guitarist in my band, he had put on Schallers, no screws into the headstock. I thought I would put the originals back in, but now understand why that was a fail, 2 of them are mega loose and fall apart. Do I just put those back on? Or is something that will fit, that is better you tele experts out there suggest?

Thanks

2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

These are oval button ones? I had a 78 with hexagonal buttons and a 69RI at the same time. I pulled them apart and every part interchanged. The only difference was the shaft was shorter on the new ones because the headstock was thinner. The parts were otherwise identical.

.I think the earlier rounder button tuners may be different. If they have the spring clips on the chassis you can bend more tension into the clips to reduce endfloat.

I haven't verified this, but it appears that sometime after 2005 Fender changed the source and newer MIM and Asian sourced F-tuners are Pings.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  3. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Unfortunately 67-74 F tuners are way different than post 74 ones.

No current production "F" tuner can replace them so you are stuck with them.

They are also horrible quality wise.

4. nathanteal

nathanteal Tele-Holic

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.