'68 Twin Reverb: Speaker Choice?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Jodah, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Jodah

Jodah TDPRI Member

Hey all!

I got a great deal on a 1968 Fender Twin Reverb amp recently from a gentleman who said the output transformer was dead. With a little toying at home, I found out that only thing wrong with my $50 investment was that one speaker was missing and the remaining speaker was dead. Talk about a bargain :)

Now that I've got a working Twin chassis, I need to purchase a pair of 12" speakers for it. I can't find a lot of information on the original speakers, and I'd like to build it as close to old spec as possible. I've heard a lot about Jensen, Eminence, Celestion and Warehouse Guitar speakers, but when I search for 12" speakers I find so many it makes my head spin!

I know speaker choice is a lot about personal preference, but can anyone give me an idea of where to start, or at least what the closest modern equivalent is to the original speakers in my amp?

Thanks in advance!

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Welcome, Jodah. IF one could find a set of vintage JEnsen C12N's, those are maybe the best for that amp. For modern speakers, go to WEber VST and look at what they have.
    Their Chicago Series are remakes of the old JEnsen. The M:ichigans are their take on EV's, and those would work very well in that amp, imho.

3. jh45gun

jh45gun Banned

I got a pair of Eminence that I bought from Alvin that came out of a twin here is the model number model # for them is 12-br-8-30. I have them in a cab that I now am using for my PA 100 which is pretty much a 4 channel twin and they sould great with this amp. Cab is open backed like a Fender Combo amp would be. I have used them with a Traynor Mono Block Bass Amp playing guitar through it and they can take the power not sure what they are rated at but I suspect at least 75 watts which would make that 150 watts for the pair.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.