'68 Telecaster with dark circuit wiring?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by SLagonegro, Oct 4, 2016.

1. SLagonegro

SLagonegro TDPRI Member

I bought my '68 Fender Telecaster at a pretty good size Guitar Shop in Hollywood in 1977. Discovered yesterday that it appears to have the older wiring style, which as I understand it, was done until maybe late '67. Does the picture below show the dark circuit wiring? How often does that happen?

Attached Files:

2. Danman

Danman Tele-Meister

Yes, that looks like the pre-67 wiring. I also thought it ended in late 67.
    I'm just guessing here I can imagine that they might have had a pile of old pre wired units ready but that ended in the bottom of a bin and that they used in 68. Perhaps someone else knows more about this. I do know that I recently saw another 68 with the pre-67 wiring.

SLagonegro likes this.
  3. SLagonegro

SLagonegro TDPRI Member

Thanks for the response. That's kind of what I was thinking.

Danman likes this.
  4. gitarjoe

gitarjoe Tele-Afflicted

fender was notorious for not wasting anything. I am sure quality control was slipping back then to.

5. Tele wacker

Tele wacker Tele-Holic

Clean that switch. It looks like it is really oxidized or something. I have all of my Teles wired post '67.

Flyboy likes this.
  6. Jeff Haddad

Jeff Haddad TDPRI Member

I have a '68 which I bought in about 1984 or '85. It has the '67-style wiring also - switch positions are bridge only, neck only and neck with a cap added to roll off high-end. I can position the switch in between the middle and rear position to have both pickups on. This guitar was stripped to natural and had a black-white-black pickguard installed when I bought it but otherwise seems original. I haven't played it for several years; I'll have to get it out soon and then I'll get some pix.

7. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

As with any Fender from those days...the question is what are the dates on the pots. The serial number is NOT definitive, ime.

8. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

I have a 68 that I bought new late that year, has 66 pots, no dark circuit. I actually sold a 65 maple-neck due to that dark circuit - didn't know the difference in those days and thought the pickup was just not good for much.

9. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Bartholomew3, just as a serial number does not define a Fender guitar's age from that period, neither do pot dates nor purchase date. A guitar can sit in a store for two days or two years...who knows, right? One has to sort through the details. Pot dates indicate that the guitar can be no older than those dates. The neck date is a more accurate indicator, ime., but still cannot define things. Details such as the type of finish comes into play at that time of Fender production. Pickup dates are of interest.
    The serial number is one of the least accurate indicators, ime.
    This type of confusion is not limited to Fender. There is a stretch of about 12-13 years where Gibson numbers are sometimes of no use without the details. I bought a new ES-345 in June, 1967. If you try to date it by the serial number, it can be one of five years....but it has to be a 1966 not only by the details but by my purchase date. The other years that 'fit' that number are 1969 and three consecutive years in the early '70's.
    Many times it is impossible to put a certain year on these things. But....that circuit indicates a guitar that was built earlier than 1968. Your number likely fits a wide range, but the details would probably indicate a guitar from 1967. What type of finish?

https://reverb.com/news/how-to-date-a-fender

10. Shango

Shango NEW MEMBER!

This is 5 year old thread but I was playing my '68 Tele this morning and was curious if anyone else had the "dark" circuit. The neck date on mine is January 1968. It has what looks like nitro on the headstock only, but both front and back. It has the later "TV" logo with Telecaster in bold. The body has been stripped to natural and a homemade poly finish put on. Other than that (and the jack I replaced) everything looks original.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.