1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

'68 Sparkle Tele Neck Pickup

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by SoK66, Mar 1, 2015.

1. SoK66

SoK66 Tele-Afflicted

Without going too long winded, I have an original '68 silver sparkle Tele I've owned since '73. Althugh it had been extensively butcher..er, "modified" over the years, I'd kept the original parts. Since '07 its undergone a restoration back to its original spec. The dilema is now the weak neck pickup, which I replaced with a humbucker back in the day because it was so dead sounding. 40+ years didn't make it any better. I need to address it one way or the other.

The bridge pickup died a long time ago. As part of the restoration I had Lindy Fralin rewind it several years ago and it sounds better than ever. I have two other neck pickups I could install, a Fender Vintage Original or a Duncan Antiquity, both from the late 2000s. OR, I could just send the original off to Fralin and hope he could match it with the bridge.

Thoughts?

[​IMG]

2. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

If you're trying for original, I'd send it to a reputable winder, & Fralin could def get it done. Maybe Rob Distefano also, or some of the other many great winders we have here.

3. Diamond Dave

Diamond Dave Tele-Meister

A friend of mine saw Lindy Fralin in the dentist's office a while back. He didn't understand why the other patients didn't think it was a big deal. ;)

Thanks for letting me share.

4. Freewheeler

Freewheeler Tele-Afflicted

I put a Fender OV '62 RI neck pup on my '69. It sounds so much better than the dull original so I kept it there.

5. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Afflicted

68 still has the angular brass cover and not the later NS rounded (70s)cover. Th brass cover may cause a more muffled sound. If I was to have it rewound it would be with 43 enamel wire and 6.0k to 6.2k (very much on the cool/bright side). What does the bridge measure? Do you want to match volume-wise of eq-wise?

6. MichaelAa

MichaelAa Tele-Holic

What a nice guitar! I`d try to fix the original pup anyway.

But there`s some really nice aftermarket pickups out there as well now. I`ve actually swapped out the original pickups/harness with a Fralin stock set/new harness with 250 pots in my `68, and it sounds brilliant.

7. Mgeek

Mgeek TDPRI Member

So that's the original finish? wow!

If it sounds bad I'd just leave te original pickup in the case and stick something hat looks the part but sounds great in there. No point in trying to make it something it's not

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.