68 Deluxe Reverb vs 68 Princeton Reverb

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Recce, Oct 30, 2017.

1. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Is your Vibro Champ an old warrior? Frankly, given that it's home use only, I would not buy either. Perhaps, a good reverb/tremolo pedal and you'd be set: all-tube champ with classic effects, and MIII for headphones, recording, and possibly gig out. Do think twice before you go bigger because you seem to have the perfect setup!

Or, if I wanted to spend that kind of money on an amp at all cost, I'd get a small tweed. Just my .02!

65 Champ Amp likes this.
  2. LP26

LP26 Tele-Meister

I've owned the 65 Deluxe Reverb and the 65 Princeton Reverb.
    I sold the Deluxe yesterday. I had installed Mercury Magnetics transformers and a 12" Cannabis Rex speaker. It produced the tone of the gods, but...
    It was simply too much for the music room I play and practice in.

I have a 10" Celestion Gold Alnico in the Princeton. Eventually it will get Mercury iron (perhaps a Christmas gift to myself). It too sounds magnificent and is better suited to the music room and the kind of small club gigs I play from time to time. And, to my ears, the reverb and tremolo sound sweeter coming out of the Princeton.

I was sorely tempted by Sweetwater's Tweed 65 Princeton. Having that 12" Cannabis Rex in there must sure sound sweet!

So, long story short, I sold the Deluxe Reverb, bought a Custom 57 Deluxe, and kept my 65 Princeton.

Contentment for now.

3. LP26

LP26 Tele-Meister

And...
    I largely deal with my local music store as I want to do my share to help them keep the doors open.
    But...
    If I'm after something they don't stock I do buy from Sweetwater. I have always found them pleasant to deal with and their return policy is both prompt and excellent. That Tweed 65 Princeton with the 12" Cannabis Rex is, no doubt, a pretty incredible piece of kit (as Bayside mentioned).

I have nothing to do with Sweetwater other than being a satisfied customer over many years. If the Tweed Princeton is ringing your bell I wouldn't hesitate to call Sweetwater.

4. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Holic

I bought a 68 Custom Deluxe a couple weeks ago. Great amp! It was almost perfect. The only problem for me is that anything over 3 on the volume was hurting my ears. Bear in mind I generally play in a moderate sized jam space - 150 to 200 sq ft. So I went ahead and exchanged for the 68 Custom Princeton. It sounded great in the store (even better than the deluxe imo) and I was even happier with it once I took it through its paces in the studio. It is still quite loud - loud enough for just about any use i'll have for it, but more manageable.

Not only is the CPR lower lower wattage than the CDR, but I found that the sweet spot - the sizzle - starts a bit earlier on the volume dial as well. At around 3.5 it's already in the zone. The Deluxe needed to get up to around 5 imo. So we're talking about a significantly lower volume level - in a good way. Of course YMMV, and we all have different uses and needs. That said, the deluxe hurts my ears and so I don't care what scenario i'm in, my ears would still hurt. Your hearing is priceless. PA's are good and ubiquitous these days. Mic'ing is not only an option, but a good one.

Both amps handled my pedals well. I'm running dmm delay, muff (tone wicker), ocd, od808, sp comp, wah. If you go Deluxe, definitely get an ABY switcher. And that's one big advantage of the CDR - the two very good channels. I'll miss the vinage voicing not being on my Princeton. That said, i'm very very happy and I know I've certainly made the right choice going with the Princeton. It's so nice to get it cooking without damaging my hearing. If I ever find that i'm getting buried by bandmates, i'll be sure to tell them to turn the f down! No need to be so loud. Of course if they tell me to ****, then i'll just mic it and get earplugs.

Again, both a great amps and great choices.. but if you play in smaller spaces, think of your hearing and go Princeton!

My very first post btw, so sorry for the rambling.

5. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I owned a ‘68 CPR for a few months that I aquired in a multi gear trade. I loved its tones at lower volumes but did not care for its tone at higher volumes. It broke up really quickly and not in a good way to my ears. I’m pretty sure swapping out the stock speaker would have helped.

I’ve heard (not owned) a ‘68 CDR with a lone guitar guy at an outside gig and it sounded great.

Just my limited experience with both amps.

6. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Holic

I bought a Mustang I . It was a just over 100 dollars so it's the same as a few beers . I bought one just for the ability to play backing tracks and practice all in one. That means you will have some money left to buy that Princeton. There is a 12 inch speaker version and a 10 inch version. I like the 10 inch better but that depends on what you want to do.While you are at it... Do check out the Vox AC10 . It will blow your lid !!

7. Twang Banger

Twang Banger Tele-Meister

I had a CDR ... one comment I have not seen in this thread, but I have seen in others and experienced myself ... the CDR is NOISY (hiss level is high). I also have the 68 Vibrolux Custom ... quiet. GO figure. Sold the CDR due to the noise. Does anyone know if the CD Princeton is noisy?

8. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Holic

I've got a 68 CDR (completely quiet) and a 68 CPR (also completely quiet). I replaced the stock speaker in the PR with a Celestion Greenback which was a big improvement over the stock Celestion 10 30.
    I run the PR with a Blues Jr tweed (NOS) via stereo out from last pedal or an A/B/Y pedal. My favorite amp sound currently.

9. teledude66

teledude66 Friend of Leo's

I own both, my DRRI is used, I just bought the PRRI. The PRRI is my go to I've played out with it twice, once at a brewery where they kinda keep us down, and it was fine. The second gig was an outside jam party and it ran upwards of 6 on the volume, no clean to be found, but the tone was awesome, it was creamy and cut through, from that night alone it made it's way into my go to amp. I'll probably use the DRRI when we play bigger venues.

10. budglo

budglo Tele-Meister

I have a 69 Princeton Custom and love it. I put jj tubes in and it is quiet. Another thing i do is put it on a tilt back stand to tame the bass.

11. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, if the Vibro Champ is a vintage blackface Vibro Champ, and you play and practice at home, neither of those amps, or possibly no other amp on earth, is going to be better than the VC.
    But I’m biased.

12. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

The 68 Custom Princeton Reverb is just really nice and friendly for whatever. I love it.

13. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Holic

If I had to sell all my amps and start all over again, I'd go straight to the '68 Princeton reverb.

14. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Holic

Saw this old thread and thought i'd give my feedback after having my CPR for around 6 months.

I still love the amp. I put a celestion g10 vintage (on the advice of jim campilongo). I think it's a pretty good speaker in there now. It does pretty nice clean, and takes dirt pedals very well. It sounds pretty well "perfect" to my ear. Yes, the amp is indeed quite bassy. I keep the bass around 2, treble around 4. I run an eq pedal at the end of my chain specifically to cut the lower mid and low frequencies a bit. This really helps... I mean really. When I turn off the eq it sounds much worse to my ear - muddy.

I've contemplated getting a 2x12 cab for this amp, with the aim of sounding "bigger." But I wonder if this will introduce variables to my tone that I wont like. Maybe the 10 inch speaker is the right match for the PR. It would be interesting to try it, anyhow. My guess is that it depends on what matters to you. As I said, I feel like my tone is nearly perfect. I'm not sure if I need to "feel" my amp, and I suspect that maybe just an ego thing. We've got a bass player for that. Of course, if you're a metal rhythm player then it's different.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.