68 Custom Vibro Champ

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Twang Deluxe, May 14, 2019.

1. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Meister

Hello,

can anyone tell me, why Fender doesn't make a 68 Custom or a 65 RI Vibro Champ? IMHO it would become a bestseller. Many people need a small tube bedroom amp with a classic Fender sound. It would be just perfect, if they would add a hidden Reverb knob, to keep the classic design of the faceplate.

Since over a decade small tube amps become more and more popular. So I don't understand why they make 65 RI and 68 Custom Versions of the larger amps but only produce X2 and XD Versions of the Champ.

t guitar floyd and BigD like this.
  2. FredAU

FredAU TDPRI Member

I agree with this, another small 6L6/6V6 from Fender without the 57 Champ reissue price tag would be a great addition to their lineup.
    Enough of all his el84 stuff, they just don't deliver that special shimmering clean we all love. (well most anyway):D

Twang Deluxe likes this.
  3. Twang Deluxe

Some of the finest songs in rock history were recorded with blackface/silverface champs and vibro champs and countless great guitar players used them. The prices for these amps are inreasing. Some vintage champs are sold for more than a vintage Twin. It would be a shame if Fender would not make a real reissue

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  4. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I'm sure Fender is aware and is working on the math to make it work. It's still hard to beat the price of vintage ones as there's no way you're getting a hand-wired anything for $500-600 USD.

5. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Yup. There are still tons of SF champs around for ~$400. VCs for ~$600. Absolutely no incentive whatsoever for Fender to compete with that.

A Super Champ costs $399. Bassbreaker 007 costs $449. Blues junior 1x10 costs $499.

EDIT: Fender Tweed Champ is $999. The Mojotone Vibro-Champ clone kit is $725. Custom built is $950.

t guitar floyd and Twang Deluxe like this.
  6. Twang Deluxe

@corliss 1: I think you're right $500-600 for a handwired amp is hard to beat, but they also make a 68 Custom Version of the Twin Reverb and you can get an original Silverface for half the price of a 68 Custom.

So the relatively low price of the 70s champs is not a reason for not making a reissue.

t guitar floyd and corliss1 like this.
  7. gregjhonda

gregjhonda Tele-Meister

I see that good condition Vibro Champs are going for $550 and up in various places. There are a glut of these used amps still sitting unused that occasionally pop up for sale in local markets and garage sales for a lot less than $500. Kit versions abound in the $550+ price range as well. I had one given to me a few years ago and all I had to do to it was add a 3 prong power cord. Being a class A amp one has to question the need and expense of having a tube rectifier that's adds no sag or compression. Since the Princeton Reverb amp is so popular perhaps adding a low power switch and tone stack mod to emulate the Vibro Champ would make sense.

Twang Deluxe likes this.
  8. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

People balk at the handwired and EC 5F1. There's
    Because no-one wants to pay $1000 USD for it. They balked at the pine cabinet Tweed 5F1. Just look at what Allens, Victorias Swarts etc cost. As Corliss1 says you can buy a real one that won't depreciate 30% when it leaves the showroom.

Even if it was done as a pcb 68 Custom style due to a lack of volume sales it'd cost close to the 65/68 Princeton. People won't pay that much for a limited baby 8"w 5w amp when for relatively little more you can have a 10" giggable Fender amp with tube reverb.

Fender probably considers it's got the market covered.

Champs are not really bedroom amps unless you have understanding family and neighbours. Sold all three of mine, got a modded Greta.

Twang Deluxe likes this.
  9. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

SF Champs are handwired, and still cheaper than boutique.

But an already crowded low end small amp offering is a good reason for them not to. The SF/BF reissues are not handwired. But they are a step up from the build designs of the BJs and HRs. I'm not sure how Fender could fit a not-quite handwired Champ/VC reissue in their lineup. What would be the price point? What would the impact be on their budget amp lineup? Their "handwired" Tweed Champ reissue is $999. That's comfortably between most 5F1 kits and boutiques.

Twang Deluxe likes this.
  10. Twang Deluxe

I think that it should be possible for Fender to build a 65 RI or 68 Custom Vibro Champ and to sell it for $ 600-700. It's not much more that you would pay for a Pro Junior or a Blues Junior and these amps are bestsellers.

A 65 RI or 68 Custom Vibro Champ would be the perfect bedroom amp for people who play 60s Reissue Fender guitars.

Today people spend a lot of money for Fender guitars which replicate every detail of vintage guitars of the 60s and then they play them at home through a Modelling Amp, a Blues Junior, Bassbreaker or one of the many another modern amps (me included). IMHO we need a real champ to get a real vintage Fender tone at home.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    t guitar floyd and FredAU like this.
  11. gregjhonda

gregjhonda Tele-Meister

Price point is definitely an issue. In the $1000 range for example, you can get an Allen Chihuahua which has a ton more features including RAW control, reverb, master volume, great distortion and breakup capability.

12. Twang Deluxe

@greghonda: I think you're right, there are many nice little amps for $ 1000. But for me the Fender Champ is one of the most iconic amps in history and it has more mojo than any other small amp (IMHO).

13. tjnies

tjnies Tele-Holic

I don't see it happening. You can buy and update a BF / SF Champ or VC for far less than the $1000 Fender would charge - if not more.
    And then you get a nice hand-wired amp that should retain its value.

14. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

I agree with everything you said except the very last phrase. If you want a good clean tone at bedroom volume a Champ is hard to beat. You’ll get a lovely sound – better than a bigger amp running cold IME – at a very reasonable volume.

Of course – and I guess that was your point – you can’t crank them unless you have very understanding family and neighbours. They can get loud! I just gigged my 5F1 with a big band, not mic’d, in a small/mid-sized room, and I was just barely undergunned…

Anyway, IMHO as clean bedroom amps they’re really hard to beat unless you want something you can CRANK … and then, even 1W tends to be too much.

Twang Deluxe likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.