68 Custom Pro Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by golfnut, Apr 21, 2021.

1. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Anyone have any experience with this amp. I'd like to hear thoughts.

2. Bob Arbogast

Bob Arbogast Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

UPS dropped off a '68 Custom Pro Reverb yesterday. I've been playing it in bits and pieces, Teles and a Strat. So far I'm pretty impressed.

I've just been plugging straight in. And without pushing things too far, to my ears the amp has the essential black-/silver-panel voice.

This amp thumps in a way my black-panel Deluxe Reverb clone can't. But I'm wondering if that would be too much bass for a band setting anyway.

The volume control is smooth and even up to just a bit over 4, then there is a sudden jump when you approach 5. It's quite loud by then. There is also some breakup available at that point, especially on double-stops.

For the question that always comes up: I don't hear any more background noise from this amp than from my DR clone. (Unlike the '68 Custom Deluxe Reverb, this amp only has one channel feeding its background noise to the power amp.)

I'm not sure if I will keep the amp. I think if I do, I will always want to open it up and tweak some things. That would be frustrating, at least during the warranty period.

3. ucnick

ucnick Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

I have one, yes there is a jump in volume, but I can deal with it, it has lots of clean headroom, which is one or my basic requirements, I use it with pedals, and it also loves my Pod Go. The bottom end is pretty snug too, the SS rectifier sees to that. Fairly small, light, loud, great tones... loving it so far!:)

YMMV, of curse.

brookdalebill likes this.
  4. Riff Robin

Riff Robin TDPRI Member

So, is it loud enough for a jazz band on 4? I guess after 4 it distorts which i dont want. So if i keep it at 4, will i be loud enough in a jazz club setting?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.