68 Custom Princeton Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by BigD, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Mhat

Mhat Tele-Meister

The bias may be too hot. This is bias based tremolo and it could be putting the tube into cut off perhaps?

2. Chris67

Chris67 TDPRI Member

Ok thanks, Is it an easy fix?

3. barnbustud

barnbustud Tele-Holic

Currently , the speaker got swapped and i just ordered a set of NOS brimar 6v6gt from ebay. Might need a tech to chk it out soon either way.

4. Chris67

Chris67 TDPRI Member

Well thanks for your replies guys,

Couldn't stick it anymore, so took it back and paid the extra £200 for a new one.

Plugged it in, turned up the speed & intensity, perfect, no noise other than what you'd expect!! Relief at last.

The guys in PMT Cardiff are going to check ou the second hand one and let me know what was going on next week, just out of interest.

No more scouring the Internet looking for solutions!!

5. J200george

J200george TDPRI Member

I too notice a similar ticking when the intensity is up past 4.... Is this a fault?

6. Chris67

Chris67 TDPRI Member

My experience tells me yes, going from the second hand Princeton with the very noticeable/annoying trem tick, to the new one with no tick whatsoever. Something wasn't right.

Take it to a tech or if it's still under warranty take it back.

I used to avoid turning the speed & intensity up, for an £800 amp that's not right.

Good luck George

7. Chris S.

Chris S. Asst. Admin

You can also try posting your question in the Amp Central forum instead of the 68 CPR thread. CS

8. Teletoaster

Teletoaster Tele-Meister

I started a new thread. thanks

9. calfzilla

calfzilla TDPRI Member

So, it looks like not many people have tried a ton of speaker swaps here, but I wanted to ask... Does anyone have a favorite speaker that doesn't flub out? I've got a spare Ram Rod laying around, but I'm afraid that thing will be entirely too bright for me. Been thinking about a Tone Tubby, a Weber, a WGS, or maybe a Jupiter. Any thoughts? I really liked the WGS Vet 10 and the Eminence Lil Buddy I had in my last cab, but that was with an AC30 style amp.

Thanks everyone

idjster likes this.
  10. tarheelbob

tarheelbob Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

WGS G10C. Outstanding speaker for this amp. By far the most recommended for the '68 Princeton on the WGS forum. I love mine. No flubbing. Powerful, big, taut bottom end with just beautiful tone. No spikiness, just sublime.

- Bob

Spinner65 likes this.
  11. Scott F Jones

Scott F Jones NEW MEMBER!

I got this amp a few months ago. I swapped out the stock speaker for an Emenince Ragin Cajun. I love it! The Cajun has tighter bass and gains a little more headroom before the amp breaks up. I use a TC Electronic Spark Booster pedal and it's a perfect match for this amp. For live gigs I mic the amp and set the volume at 2 1/5. Kicking on the Spark Booster drives the amp into a perfect crunchy tone that is gritty, but bright. The reverb and tremelo on the amp are otherworldly as well.

12. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

I keep going back and forth on the speaker swap but if I did Make the change I'd probably install the emincence allesandro 10 inch or a weber 10f150t. I've always thought the amp was just a touch too dark especially with humbuckers.

13. tarheelbob

This amp can tend to be a little dark, so I was very particular about the "standard" tube recommendations out there which had been based largely on folks experience with the PRRI. I definitely did not want the amp to be too dark, or even get muddy by going in the wrong direction with tubes. I put Genalex Gold Lion ECC83 12AX7's in V1, V3, and V4. Also, I put a matched set of Tung Sol 6V6's in for the power section. I am extremely pleased with these tubes, which are a little on the brighter side than some of the more traditional tube options for this amp. The amp seems to have more range, especially with humbuckers, and sounds absolutely beautiful with my Tele and Strat.

- Bob

14. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

Hey Bob. I've had the same experience when asking about speaker choices as many people recommend speakers based on the PRRI which is a totally different beast.

15. tarheelbob

Yep. The PRRI is an iconic, wonderful amp, but is a slightly different animal to the '68 Custom when it comes to recommendations for speakers and tubes. The earlier break up and big, taut bottom end of the '68 Custom need to be kept in mind when searching for aftermarket upgrades. If one is not careful, you could easily take this awesome, toneful amp and make it too dark, or even muddy. With the tubes mentioned above and my WGS G10C speaker, I couldn't be happier.

- Bob

16. Chris67

Chris67 TDPRI Member

Hi,

I'm thinking of selling my '68 CPR :(

, will buy a modeller to tide me over.

It's just been used at home, never gigged (to bad a player!) as new really.

Anyone interested?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  17. PDman5150

PDman5150 Tele-Meister

Finally ordered a 68 custom Princeton from Sweetwater. I've been on the fence about this amp for a while now. Originally had ordered the 57 custom Champ and while it's an amazing amp it was kind of a one trick pony and not a pony that I wanted to ride as my main amp.

I've been listening to a lot of Sturgill Simpson and little Joe uses champs and musicmasters so I wanted a low watt Amp. I love that this is 12 W and Not 15.

I ended up playing and comparing the 68 custom Princeton against a 65 PRRI, 57 champ, Marshall DSL 40C, orange OR15H, Bassbreaker 15, and a hot rod Deluxe iii.

The 65 was thin and despite being 15w instead of 12w, didn't seem as loud as the 68. Surprisingly the Marshalls clean was really good but it couldn't touch the Princeton. The hot rod floor model buzzed, crackled and popped so much that I immediately ruled that out. The Orange amp sounded phenomenal with gain but clean was shrill. The Marshall was just good all around but felt like it would be a little sacrilege since I've been playing fenders my whole life.

Looking forward to running my pedalboard through the Princeton. Have a JHS Double Barrell on the way!

tarheelbob likes this.
  18. LiteAsh

LiteAsh Tele-Meister

IMG_1013.JPG I'm in the club. Fantastic amp with telecaster and also with epi lespaul. (probuckers not very hot)
    One thing, this footswitch isnt best part of this amazing amp. Any recomendation for better switch please?

19. Argyle PAFC

Argyle PAFC TDPRI Member

Hi all,

I am considering picking one of these up, and whilst I would definitely try it out in person before buying it, actually getting to the store in the first place is a bit of a trek (and with two very young kids, I'd rather do my research before possibly wasting a trip).

How quiet does this amp go? Is it zero volume at 1 on the dial and then crazy at 2? I'm thinking of picking it up predominantly for home use, does it do TV volume?

Thanks for any/all feedback!

20. aw73

aw73 TDPRI Member

does anyone know what the plate voltage should be on this amp? mine seems high at 460 volts. the power trans gets very hot after a few hours. i bought it from mf. it was a level 3 return. it also has alot of hiss when past 5 on the volume is this normal?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.