68 Custom Princeton Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by BigD, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Jmarley3

Jmarley3 NEW MEMBER!

Just got mine today! Wow!

Just got my 68 custom today and wow! It really brought my tele to life! So far in the few minutes I've played it I like everything about it and can't find a reason to upgrade anything.....I will be making a video over the next couple days to share with and without pedals, but so far I am very impressed.

2. deadbeat son

deadbeat son Tele-Afflicted

It appears one can short R34 to reduce the bass response to that of the '65 PRRI while retaining the other qualities of the '68 CPR. See http://www.tdpri.com/forum/amp-central-station/548514-65-princeton-vs-68-custom-tone-plots.html

3. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

YYguy, sorry I missed your first post. I worked on that bass-forward sound for a long time (and STL-Dirt isn't the only person who had a honeymoon ruined by it).

I didn't know about mods (good one, 'deadbeat son') but I found a few things helped:
    1. Breaking speaker in for a month or two (never got all the way there as a single fix though).
    2. Tube swaps. Briefly, all the GTs got replaced by NOS. Biggest single help was a 12ay7 in v3, as suggested by =JL= here on TDPRI; tamed bass or made it more palatable, which I didn't expect. A treble-rich 12AX7 in v1 can also help.
    3. Finally, as you suggested, speaker swap. I found the CTS blue-label vintage speaker totally nailed the sound I wanted. It wasn't actually less bass; PRs are not bass-weak. It was just a much richer, more nuanced, singing bass that blended into the PR sound perfectly. And the enhanced, sweeter highs probably helped too. A-m-a-z-i-n-g. A brief look around TDPRI and a few other sites will show this amp (and the PRRI) have a *lot* of other popular speaker swaps. Replacing a Celestion you can buy for $35 isn't something that would make most of us tone-hounds think twice...

Depending on how you play, it's also worth saying a *lot* of PR players admit (heck, brag) that they play with a low setting on the bass knob, 4, 3, even 0-2.

Your quest for the exact sound you like is a bit harder. Many people find this amp plays nice with pedals (at least compared to PRRIs) and one such pedal could be a drive pedal. But a PR of any sort is not a tweed; if you like OD pedals, you may get more breakup, but it still won't be a 5e3. The CPR breakup I get is sweet, creamy, goes from subtle to medium growl, but not raucous. More oboe than cello. My tweed Princeton clone, by contrast, can go from french horn to cello to gutbucket grit. OTOH, it lacks the chiming, scooped cleans and the ridiculously big, balanced soundstage of the CPR.

Heh, in a nutshell, you have basically identified the reason I ended up with both amps... :D

4. jerrygator

jerrygator TDPRI Member

Picked up a minty 68' off CL. Played for about 3 minutes with the stock speaker before I bought a JBL E110 for it. Man I'm not really sure why they dump a speaker like that in there stock?? This amp is awesome with a speaker upgrade. Gigged with it and whoa!!!! Everything I wanted out of a small amp and more. Takes pedals well and really mixed nicely with the band. Pretty much bumped the DRRI for small to midsize gigs.

5. calnyc

calnyc TDPRI Member

Got mine last week and I'm in love. This is my dream amp. Fender cleans, takes to pedals nicely, real spring reverb and tube trem. Taking it to practice next week and will see how it holds up at gig volumes. I would probably keep it just south of noon on the volume and mic it. I know it breaks up early but I want to retain the warmth I'm hearing at low volumes and stick to pedals for dirt.

I think I'm in the minority of non-Strat, non-Tele players who play this amp (based on YT vids). With a P90 Gibson it's not overly bright or bass heavy. The speaker is fine; I don't get the complaints.

6. Badger06

Badger06 Tele-Meister

Joined the club! Played for a few hours at low volumes in my flat this evening. Seems like it's hard to go wrong with this amp. I like thick clean tones and it has it in spades. Really happy and can't wait to crank it in a band setting :)
    ImageUploadedByTDPRI1431039801.929492.jpg

7. HS68

HS68 TDPRI Member

I'm curious how it went with your band.

8. J200george

J200george TDPRI Member

I have 99.9995% madero my mind to get myself a Princeton Reverb 68.

My main rig with the band is a Mesa Lonestar Special through this I use a fair few effects. I use a boss Es-8 and a shed load of drive pedals together with an eventide h9.

I'm going to treat my single coils to something new.

My main purpose is just to play straight into a small portable quality Fender amp with that classic reverb, hell I may even get to love the vibrato.

So, why the 0.0005% doubt?

Ok I might want to use the PR68 as a stereo feed from my main rig. If it breaks up that early it may not be ideal.

I will play at home a lot and to hit the sweet spots on this fantastic amp I may have to play too loud for comfort of my wife, kids, pets and neighbours.

I've seen a 1983 Princeton reverb II locally I'm wondering if this is a better option.

Any thoughts?

9. Nubs

Nubs Friend of Leo's

Here ya go:

[​IMG]

10. tarheelbob

tarheelbob Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Yes. Go with your 99.9995% gut, you won't be disappointed.

- Bob

11. J200george

J200george TDPRI Member

Now purchased, have it at home as below.

[​IMG]

Have a new one coming as there is a lot of rattling coming from an undefined source. The store have ordered me another so I have this one at home.

The tech tightened up the usual chassis screws etc but to no improvement.

Off to have a long play....

Marvellous amplifier. My cs strat sounds sublime, the tele like God intended. I've been really surprised by my lp, Gretsch Panther, Lucille and most of all the SG.

It does break up early >4.5 but it's evening here so can't really crank it up.

Shame about the rattles I'm hoping the shop can deliver a sound one (they'll test it first).

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  12. tarheelbob

tarheelbob Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Mine had a little bit of rattle coming from the bottom back panel. I cut up six rubberized strips (approx. 1" x 1/2") out of some leftover heat shrink tubing that was lying around and placed them around the edges between the back panel between the cabinet and screwed it back in place. Two years now, never another rattle. Quiet as can be.

jimash likes this.
  13. GorgeousTones

GorgeousTones Tele-Meister

Hey! I had the same issues (as well as awful noise/hum from the reverb tank) and a few other significant issues from a GC floor model. Like you I was frustrated and disappointed.
    *However.. After I had returned it, and gave up on the amp altogether. I played one at a little shop just to try out a Strat I was looking at. And honestly it was like a completely different amp! I bought it right then and I've never had a single problem and love it!

14. J200george

J200george TDPRI Member

New amp delivered and I can happily announce no rattles.

Single coil tone heaven.

tarheelbob likes this.
  15. Chris67

Chris67 TDPRI Member

Hi there,

I am looking for some advice on a second hand 68 custom Princeton which I bought yesterday.

It sounds great apart from a ticking noise when the speed and intensity dials are past 3 on either, it speeds up the more it is turned up on both!

Is this normal or have I bought a faulty amp?

16. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

Bummer. Not normal on mine, anyhow. Someone who knows circuits better'n me may be able to suggest why this might happen...

17. barnbustud

barnbustud Tele-Holic

I have this too on my '65 prri.

18. elyuyi

elyuyi Tele-Meister

Maybe yours has a built in metronome.

19. Chris67

Chris67 TDPRI Member

Hi do you just live with it or are you going to have it looked at?
    Hehe! Never seen that advertised or in the Princeton spec list.

Cheers for replying guys, I took it into the shop and in the noisier environment I had to get on my knees and put my ear right next to the amp to hear the tick. So playing at home I think I'll just have to put up with it!

20. elyuyi

elyuyi Tele-Meister

Make sure that is off in the footswitch.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.