68 Custom Princeton Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by BigD, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Tele Convert

Tele Convert Tele-Holic

Very nice! Heard lots of good things about the red fangs. Play that celestion for a couple hours, then put your RF in there. It'll never come out.

2. DoubleFourValve

DoubleFourValve TDPRI Member

That's hopefully the plan, TC!

3. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Today I installed a 12" JBL E120-8 speaker in my 68 CPR. Just for the sake of trying it and to feed need to tinker. It fit with a few small cuts. I did not cut the stock baffle I just bolted it up with wood screws temporarily to try it. It sounds awesome. The speaker is a monster and weighs in a lot heavier. I believe I will build my own baffle with a 12" cutout and see if I can order some grill cloth. I will store the stock baffle for later in life if needed.

Has anyone seen a schematic for the 68 CPR on line anywhere? I think I want to locate the negative feedback resistor and experiment. My understanding is Fender set a value on this one to allow the amp to break up sooner. I think I really like the clean JBL sound and want to increase clean headroom further. I will start with a higher value resistor in the NFB loop. Any help locating it on the board is appreciated. Thx.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. YYguy

YYguy TDPRI Member

I'd thought I'd settled on this amp until I read your post. I am interested in the same music vernacular so your experience gives me pause. I wish someone with some time with the amp would respond. Nudge nudge

5. bernatdelpech

bernatdelpech Tele-Meister

Ive played mine for some months now, several hours a day, and the speaker seems to break in quite nicely. Ive noticed less bass, less snap, and warmer tones. Might be that Im getting used to it, but I can dial some more bass now than when I first got it. At first I had trouble liking my pedals with it, mostly OD's, and Dirty Little Secret, but now I think they sound pretty good on this amp. Quite the rock sound has developed. My initial reactions were, I loved it in the store, possibly buyers remorse as it didnt seem to sound right, as time passed, it kept sounding better and better, and now I quite happy with the stock speaker for now, and thrilled with the amp.

6. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

Admitting that a picture of a standard new amp is a waste of perfectly good pixels, I found the positive reports here, the factory mods, real tube reverb, and the blackline silverface goodness even on a PCB just too tempting. Early hours, really love it. Will break in the speaker for a while, and of course I admit a nice Weber would be tempting if the C10 doesn't end up sounding just right. Thanks to all of you for the great reviews and comments above.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  7. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That's not a C10, but rather a Celestion Ten 30. The C10R comes in the PRRI.

gattiswm likes this.
  8. Tele Convert

Tele Convert Tele-Holic

Congrats on the new amp King Fan. It really isn't too bad of a small home amp. I'm still digging mine. I can't say enough times how much better it sounds with good speaker in it.

9. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

A month in

Looking back, C10 was either my lazy abbreviation for a 10" Celestion or my subliminal wish for a vintage C10n...
    As the speaker breaks in and I've learned more about different knob-spinning options for my different guitars, attack, and desired sounds, I'm really loving this amp. Like Keith, I have a tweed Princeton, and the two amps really cover a great range of Fender-y goodness.
    As for the speaker, breaking it in really does help. There were times last month I just couldn't turn the bass down enough. But that's going away, and the highs are really starting to chime and sing, too. OTOH, I realized I had the makings of a little home speaker-swap test sitting right next to the CPR in my 12" extension cab (a gutted BJ with the Fender-labeled Eminence) and in the 5f2a (with its no-dope Weber 10A100).
    Noting Keith's trial with the 12", I see on the net that a lot of gigging musicians run a 12 in their PRs and PRRIs, often 'big' 12s like the Weber 12A150, and not uncommonly just screwed onto the 10" baffle. But for my household playing, I found the 12" too big, clean, and massive. And, imagine this, it did nothing to tame the bass (it did give it real authenticity, though)! FWIW the BJ Eminence is said to be akin to a Legend 1258, which is said to be a desirable PR speaker, and I could see this might be just the ticket for someone wanting to cut into or through a mix. It sounded like a speaker for a club, not a living room.
    As for the 10A100, it is not the 10A125 or 10A150, duh. But if there's a family resemblance, I can see why Weber vintage series speakers are highly rated for PRs. The 50s-tech 10A100 really tames the bass (maybe too much) but I assume the thicker paper and bigger magnets in the big brothers would get pretty close to my perfect target.
    All that said, when I go back to the Celestion, I can see why Fender chose it. It can give you more mids and growl than I hear in classic PRs (it isn't rare to see folks buying PRRIs and complaining they can't find the gutty tones, although a cynic might suggest that's like buying a Ferrari and looking for Mopar rumble). The amp and speaker are definitely pedal friendly. The amp can crunch or croon. I'm gonna let the speaker break in another month or two, and then we'll see.

jimash likes this.
  10. mavman

mavman TDPRI Member

Im in, I have had my 68 for a couple of months now.. Totally pleased with it.. Very good amp

11. tarheelbob

tarheelbob Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

*Disclaimer - Like a dumbass, I originally posted this in the '68 DRRI amp club. Pays to read AND comprehend. <g>*

Just found this and wanted to add my big "+1" for this great amp. I was searching for an amp to replace my modded Blues Junior, and still wanted something portable. I played the '65 and '68 DRRI, and the '65 and '68 PRRI. I also looked at the Blackstar HT 40 and Ht 20. First of all, these are all great amps, in their own way. The Blackstars freakin' crank and have real flexibility, but were too big, too loud, too much, for what I wanted. The DRRI is about the best all around Fender out there for the price, IMHO, but was outside my size/weight criteria. The '65 PRRI is an icon with incredible tone and cleans. The bottom end a bit flabby for me, and I would investigate some of the well known mods for that.

But, the '68 PRRI caught me off guard and blew me away. The powerful, taut, punchy low end on this amp, with the great Bassman tone stack and distortion profile is just great. How this little amp can handle aggressivey attacked F and B power chords and maintain its composure is beyond me. I have put a WGS 10C replacement 10" speaker in it for a little more efficiency and is a nice upgrade that doesn't change the amp's character. Very happy.

With a little boost from an OD pedal without too much gain, this amp can hold it own when gigging with DRRI's. I love this amp for its own unique, full tonal qualities and its portable size. Fender has a great amp that has found its own niche with this '68 Custom.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. bluesman53

bluesman53 TDPRI Member

Buffalo,

Question if I may ask is; when you first got your amp did it seem "dark" in tone? I had tried one out at a music store and had fallen in love with it and ordered one. When the amp arrived at home, I immediately tried it out and found that the amp seemed very bassy. I thought perhaps I got a bad amp. As I began researching, I found some commenting on the same issues. Is this amp meant to have the bass rolled off? I primarily used Strats and Tele's, but also run Les Paul's and a ES335. What is the best setting for the Treb and bass using these guitars would you think? I tried it out at a local gig and ran the bass at 3-4 with treb at 7, vol at 4-5 and the Strat at about 8, held up well against the others in the small bar/restaurant. Would changing out the tubes be any help? Thanks

13. bluesman53

bluesman53 TDPRI Member

I noticed when I got my CPRR last month that it immediately sounded dark or bassey. When I read that you felt it got better and less bassey over time, I thought I ask what guitars you used and what the settlngs were put the amp at. I'm still working on finding happiness with the amp. Thank you

14. deadbeat son

deadbeat son Tele-Afflicted

One of these arrived on my step via UPS today.

It seems to overdrive really well at 4 with my Les Paul, but there is some SIGNIFICANT cabinet rattle at that volume. Enough I wouldn't want to use it in a live setting.

Anyone else have this issue?

15. deadbeat son

Well, I think I figured out my problem. Anyone see anything wrong with this photo?

[​IMG]

16. Tele Convert

Tele Convert Tele-Holic

Mine came with one of those... I must have got the special edition. Or maybe you got the SE. :lol:

17. dtermined2play

dtermined2play Tele-Afflicted

looks like your missing a screw on the lower back panel.

18. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I see your missing a screw on the lower right... (dtermined2play beat me to it while I was typing, yeah I'm that slow!)

As for the speaker, it comes with the Celestion Ten 30 stock. That's part of what gives it the warmer tone and quicker onset of the breakup/distortion.

19. deadbeat son

Bingo! That corner doesn't even appear to be drilled for a screw. If it is, it was prior to the tolex application because there's no hole. With the volume >2, that lower panel rattles like mad when I hit a low G. :lol:

20. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

Sounds like you spotted the culprit. I had a weird buzz at around B flat on the fat string above 6 on the volume -- didn't play that loud much. But it vanished with my new speaker -- maybe just test-tighten the speaker screws. OTOH the baffles on PRRIs (and presumably these) are also known for making noise -- you can Google up several fixes with angle iron or more surgical approaches.

Which reminds me I forgot to update my post above after my speaker swap. I really got to like the original speaker with more breaking in. And taste-testing a custom mix of OS tubes made the amp amazing. But then I swapped in a vintage CTS alnico blue-label speaker. For my needs and my taste, it is superb in this amp. Totally amazing. Like TarheelBob above, I think this amp would respond nicely to a number of potential speaker swaps -- the PRRI has a lot of documentation on speaker options, and this flavor of PR may be open to even more -- Weber, Eminence, WGS, vintage ceramic, vintage alnico etc. etc.

The amp as it sounds now absolutely totally kills for sparkle, chime, growl, cleans and SF distortion, and it remains pedal-friendly. Oh, and now quiet right on up the dial...

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.