68 Custom Princeton Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by BigD, Sep 16, 2013.

1. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

Congrats to all of you who have gotten these amps.
    The '68 Princeton is one of my few GAS items at the moment. I think its great .
    Good sound, the right look, easy to carry, and years of life ahead of it.

2. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Maybe some of you heard this over in another thread. I did a Christmas recording with my 68 CPR 2 weeks ago. No effects, just the amp and my Gibson ES-339. No fancy recording tools, mics or software. Just a Zoom H2N Handy Recorder. This amp is awesome. Here is a sample:
    https://soundcloud.com/keithb7/silent-night

3. gadgetfreak

gadgetfreak Tele-Afflicted

that sound's beautiful, wonderful full clean,wet, lovely tone. I think that answers my question if the clean is worth a shot, definite yes

4. foundjoe

foundjoe Tele-Holic

Nice recording. The reverb and tremolo on that CPR are very deep and three-dimensional, and perfectly complement the tone.

5. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Thx guys. This amp delivers in a big way in my opinion. This is thee tone I want from a Princeton Reverb. I love the glassy cleans, deep tremolo and thick reverb. Now there are limitations with this amp. In my recording above, the volume I think was on about 3 to 3 and a half if I recall. Cleans like this in a louder environment are not going to happen with this amp. Does it break up nicely? Not sure as I am not really looking for that from this amp. It does break up, I think around 4 it starts but I never go there with this amp. I have a 5W tweed Princeton I use for break up, or a Vibro Champ or pedals. With a band I use my other bigger amps.

I can't say this is the be-all end-all amp for everyone. When I play at home alone, this CPR gets the most use. It's lovely, especially with my RC-3 looper with a drum track. Love it! I have yet to play it out. But for home? Man it's just cool beans! It sounds heavenly and puts me in a musical place I can only seem to go with this amp.

6. gadgetfreak

I don't see a thread for the 68 Cdr or twin so I'm going to ask here. Did any of these units make it too the music stores? Seem's the cdr is sold out everywhere online and I've never seen one in a store too demo.

I don't know how Fender production works, do they make a certain amount they know they can sell and then produce more on how the dealers respond? Why wouldn't they have plenty of these available especially around the holidays with all the buzz they have been getting. I have talked too a lot of players interested in trying one out. I have been gas'ing in the worst freaking way too try one out and for once I actually have the money. I just don't want to deal with buying,trying and then returning if not happy. To much hassle. Well thanks if anybody has any information on how they are released. Thanks

7. gadgetfreak

Somebody posted a link in amp central now they have a 68 custom vibrolux being showcased at 2014 Namm show. Wish they would get some units in a store already so I can hear what all the hype is about.

I know it's a completely different amp than the original and I understand it's not a just drri with mod's. The mod's involved and the face lift make this a cool amp unto itself, can't wait to play one. I like muts, they usually live longer and have less problems. We will see.

8. mikeroberts30

mikeroberts30 TDPRI Member

Another owner here! I picked her up on last Friday. Its almost embarrassing to say but this is my first fender amp. I was playing through a vox ac15c1 which I still own. The problem was the other guitarist in my band also uses an ac15c1 which worked it some situations but didn't in others. So as you guys know as a member of tdpri, I don't really need much of a reason to get new gear! I was able to a/b the 68 with the 65 at the store. I had volume at 4, treb at 7, bass at 7, verb at 3 and trem off on both. I was playing a 72 tele custom. At those levels both were clean and very similar. The 68 had a little bit more bass but in a good way. Very full fat sounding, both are more full than my vox. Cranked, the 68's drive sounded more musical and ultimately that (and the blue light lol) were what made me choose the 68. The real test was when I practiced with my band on Saturday. I play a 50s mim esquire and a 60s tribute Gibson les paul. Same treb and bass at 7 volume at 5. The esquire (Seymour Duncan antiquity flat pole) was surprisingly clean...unless I dug in hard it had an amazing slightly broken up sound. Even more shocking the les paul was also pretty clean on the bridge (burstbucker 1). The neck pickup (burstbucker 2) drove it quite a bit. As others have mentioned this amp is extremely touch sensitive. If you play with pretty hot pickups expect them to drive the amp at around 4. Overall I'm very happy with the sounds this brilliant amp is capable of. Very cool vibe to it and easy on the back. The 65 is a very good amp as well. The breakup sounded more musical to me on the 68. And all the research pointed to mods to get it to certain points not that I mind doing that (bright cap on the vox). The 68 also seemed louder at the same settings as the 65... maybe someone could explain why that might be.. The 68 to me sounds great right out of the box. The folks over at lovepedal got one and had some very nice things to say about it on their Facebook page back in September https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...5.109482285744633&source=46&__user=1187086303.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  9. mikeroberts30

mikeroberts30 TDPRI Member

And a pic for good measure.

ForumRunner_20140127_104242.jpg

10. BigD

BigD Friend of Leo's

Dude that's awesome. I wish I could make mine sound that good. It does sound sweet. I've been on a acoustic kick and haven't played much on the amp. I had the Twin and 68 powered up yesterday and both were tone drippers. I do not regret the purchase.

11. richpjr

richpjr TDPRI Member

I am happy to say I just joined the club and I have to say this thing sounds fantastic with my Tele and a Barber 1/2 Gainer pushing it a bit! I liked the sound so much I have a Gain Changer on the way to give me a bit more space on my board. Very happy with the tone I am getting out of it.

12. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Recently I acquired a Full-Tone, Full Drive 2 Mosfet OD pedal. I tried it with my 68 CPR and was very, very impressed. Using my Tele, this set up growls like nothing else that I have. The tones are awesome, and at reasonable volume levels at home. I try all kinds of combinations of different guitars, amps, pedals, speakers, tubes, cabinets. With all my gear I have tons of tonal options. This set up was awesome. Highly recommend!

13. Donald77

Donald77 TDPRI Member

Does anybody know if the reverb tank in the '68 model is the same than in the '65 ri? I tried a '68 a week ago, but the reverb wasn't as good as on the '65 re.

14. STL-Dirt

STL-Dirt TDPRI Member

New 68 Custom Princeton Owner - on the fence

Looking for some advice from fellow 68 CPR owners out there. I had been looking for a new amp for a while. I had tired of my Egnater Tweaker. Felt it was a jack of all trades and master of none. Good amp but I just never bonded with it. I dig the Fender amp tones, but had a tried a brief stint with an AC15C1 due to several great reviews, but it just didn't have that fender tone.

So, by chance I plugged a MIM tele into a 68 CPR at GC in their vault so I could crank it and I was immediately impressed. Pretty much what I was looking for, with the early break up. I play mostly old punk (think Clash, Ramones), dirty blues, like Jack White, Black Keys, some classic rock (Stones, Zep, Floyd) and 90's alternative (Nirvana, Foo Fighters). No metal :)

Anyway, after having the amp at home a bit, the honeymoon seems to be over. The CPR seems to just be too bass heavy, and I am not getting my pedals to mesh with it well. Fulltone OCD v4, MXR Super Badass Distortion, and EQ Hoof. I just ordered a Ghetto Stomp to get a more gritty OD for the Jack White stuff and hope that helps.

Seems like I am dialing the bass all the way down to get any decent sound out of it? I have seen several settings on the web where folks are setting the bass at 5 or 6, but it just gets so muddy with the bass up. Will a speaker change help?

Should I throw in the towel and maybe get a 5e3? My concern with the 5e3 is that it won't be versatile enough to cover the stuff I like to play?

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions!

15. alerich

alerich TDPRI Member

Demoed a 68 Custom PR next to a 65 PRRI yesterday. Very different amps, and that's a good thing to me. More choices. The 68 is warmer, bassier and breaks up earlier. None of the glassy chime of the 65 even with the treble dimed (even my non guitar player girlfriend picked up on that immediately). The 68 is also louder than the 65 at the same volume knob setting. The breakup is smoother on the 68. Would love to hear the 68 with a stock Jensen speaker. I'm betting that the Celestion accounts for much of the warm bassy 'lack of chime' thing going on.

I thought the 68 was a cool amp. It would be a great little blues amp. If you are looking for traditional PR tones get the 65. An A/B setup with both would be really sweet. It was nice to see Fender go in a different direction rather than just put out another PRRI in silverface cosmetics. I'll be on the lookout for a good CL deal on a 68 once these are in circulation a while.

16. Tele Convert

Tele Convert Tele-Holic

Anybody done any speaker swaps on their '68? I've been cranking mine up for the last couple weeks and feel like the speaker is really holding it back. I ordered a Weber 10f150T, will update with my findings.

17. DoubleFourValve

DoubleFourValve TDPRI Member

I was at Guitar Center a couple of weeks back and picked up a Cabronita with TVJs in it. Plugged it into a '68 Custom Princeton for no real reason. I've been on an amp hunt for about three months now, knowing I wanted something different but not quite knowing what it was. Thought it was maybe a Vox, but I just didn't fall in love with the AC15s I've played. Figured maybe I'd wind up with a Mesa of some sort — maybe a Lone Star — just because I've always liked them. But it really felt like the Mesa would be a cop-out somehow; that it'd be good, but wouldn't necessarily take me anywhere new, despite its versatility and quality.

Really, I was open to just about anything. Then I plugged into the Princeton and that was it; the sound I didn't know I wanted but absolutely needed. Hemmed and hawed about spending the money. Not because I didn't have it, but because I'd just dumped a bunch of money into rebuilding my Peavey Reactor, which is just about to go to paint. I put a Super'Tron in the bridge. Should be an interesting pairing with the Lollar Special T in the neck. Anyway, my old friend knew of my dilemma and found a lightly-used example for what amounted to about 200 bucks off (once tax was factored in) at Musician's Friend.

I griped to my girlfriend and she was like, "Look. You can afford it. All you're doing is torturing yourself and you're going to buy it eventually. How much is it, anyway?"

I told her.

"Oh, that's not nearly as bad as I thought. Yeah. Jeez. Go buy it already!"

So yeah, should be here midweek-ish. I am very, very excited. I can't wait to get the Reactor back together. In the meantime, I'll be putting my Les Pauls to work.

18. Tele Convert

Tele Convert Tele-Holic

Congrats Double! It is a pretty cool little amp. Perfect for home playing. I put a weber 10f150t in mine this weekend, holy cow! The celestion speaker that's in there is a joke. If you have the cash do yourself a favor and order a good speaker for it. Doesn't matter what brand, it will most certainly be much better than what's in there.

19. DoubleFourValve

Thanks, TC! I'm gonna live with the Celestion for a month or two and see how I feel. Kinda leaning toward the Emi Red Fang based on what I've read and heard.

20. DoubleFourValve

Saw a Red Fang pulled out of a Dr. Z Carmen Ghia on eBay. Seller says it's got under 10 hours on it. Was about half the price of a new RF, so I went for it. If I hate it, I figure I can sell it for about what I paid for it and try something else.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.