68 Custom Princeton Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by BigD, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Deneteus

Deneteus TDPRI Member

I think after seeing that board that I am going to stick with the the FSR Sparkle Blue 65RI Custom Blackface American version with a real Celestion G10 Gold and an updated Allen output transformer and F/T caps than just a neat looking front end. I found mine on Ebay for far less than the 68RI.

I wonder whats so special about the power transformers and if they just spent a little more on them versus the stock transformers.

It may be an attempt to lower the draw prices of the Silverface amps that are already out there or something to catch those people who always wanted a new Silverface amp but didn't have the patience to hunt one down.

2. Buffalo0993

Buffalo0993 Tele-Holic

The reason the allen transformers are good for the princeton reverb is because they were designed to handle the bottom end better than what comes stock,theyre not really special or anything they just do a better job in that application

3. Deneteus

Deneteus TDPRI Member

I was actually talking about the stock transformers in these new amps because in the advertisement it says they were upgrades. I upgraded the OT in mine myself when I upgraded the one in my 2003 Blues JR.

Fender '68 Custom Princeton Reverb All-tube Combo Amplifier Features:
    Late-'60s tribute amp with a hot-rodded vintage vibe
    Modified tone circuit offers greater tonal versatility when used with pedals
    Custom-made Schumacher transformers
    Reduced negative feedback increases touch sensitivity and overdrives faster
    1 x 10" Celestion Ten 30 speaker delivers a rock 'n' roll flavor
    Tube-driven reverb and vibrato circuits
    Silverface cosmetics
    6V6 power tubes
    Includes 2-button footswitch and a fitted cover

4. StraightNeck

StraightNeck Tele-Holic

Oops,about $1200 here in Sweden!How much do they cost in the Us?$800?

5. BigD

BigD Friend of Leo's

$849

6. Buffalo0993

Buffalo0993 Tele-Holic

So I haven't really done much at all and I'd say the speaker has broken in nicely, I did change the v1 to a nice 5751 nos Ge. Takes away a little gain but it makes it sound so sweet at high volumes. Seems like it gave it a deeper sound

Iv got some tung sol reissue 6v6 tubes just waiting until i can take it to get biased. I really think running this thing just a tad hotter will really make it come alive

7. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

I've had a DRRI now for a few years....love the amp, broken in nicely....but I have been wanting a smaller gigging and recording amp for a while. These look interesting....I will be watching this thread :eek:

Cheers,
    Jethro

8. Buffalo0993

Buffalo0993 Tele-Holic

I hope plenty of people join it, I wanna hear about someone modding it, I know people are already doing it lol, I saw a YouTube video where some guy had already stripped all the guts out and had it rewired by Alessandro. Seems kind of silly would've made more sense to just have Alessandro build an amp from the ground up?

All iv done is put new tubes in it and its just great

9. jgmouton

jgmouton Tele-Meister

Custom 68 Princeton price in Europe - $1250! Ouch!

10. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Just noticing how quickly this "Club" has grown! I have the real deal '68 SFDR (below), BUT I love the looks of these brand new Deluxes and Princetons- pure '60's Pop Art revisited!

edit: that 'gross looking' beverage on top is Fresca- I'm addicted!;)

Attached Files:

• 081.jpg
      081.jpg
      File size:
      59.5 KB
      Views:
  11. Buffalo0993

Buffalo0993 Tele-Holic

Yea i tried this too it does work well but only if your not using any pedals that add a bunch of gain, Ive been using my treble booster alot lately and that just makes the amp super noisy when its on ten.

JC actually has his bass on 10, treble on about 7 or 6, and his reverb on 10! pretty crazy.

I've really fallen in love with the idea of the princeton reverb. Im planning on getting either an old princeton amp or a princeton reverb II later on.

Here's my stereo setup right now, man it works great. Tele heaven!
    [​IMG]

12. schotter611

schotter611 Tele-Holic

Neat. Earlier breakup, more mids and a nicer (love that silver more than the blackface style) face, cheaper. If shopping around today, I'd probably end up with this one or the 68 DR instead of the PRRI.

13. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

The Princeton sounded so good. I prefer it much to the '65 RI. Cranked it was ungodly. Found the sweet spot dimed on the amp, '52 Hot Rod Tele Tone control about the midway point. The least stiff sounding amp I played of the floor models that day. Maybe lots of people been trying that amp out?

Anybody seen the Twin Reverb in the stores yet?

14. Vortexan

Vortexan Friend of Leo's

I've been lurking on eBay for quite some time now looking at vintage Princetons. While I would love to have one I hesitate to take another older amp on for maintenance purposes. I have a Vibroverb and a LOUD 5e3 but the one 10" speaker Princeton really appeals to me for home playing so I pulled the trigger on the new '68 Custom. So I guess I'm in the club now. Should come in next week. Excited to hear it and see what it can do.

15. Vortexan

Vortexan Friend of Leo's

Update;

Sorry guys I'm out of this club. Beautiful amp but the early breakup was too much for me. I like cleaner headroom and pedals when I need some dirt. Killer amp for what it does but it just wasn't for me. Rock on.

16. tce63

tce63 Tele-Holic

At what level will it start to breakup ? (Volume knob)
    Im in the market for one, but like the Fender clean sound, so maybe not .....

17. Vortexan

Vortexan Friend of Leo's

The one I had started breaking up around 4. Sounded good for rock but not so much for clean rhythm.

18. tce63

tce63 Tele-Holic

OK, thank´s think this will be a deal breaker for me sorry to say.

19. gadgetfreak

gadgetfreak Tele-Afflicted

I have a SS22 I just purchased but I think I am going to return and try the 68 deluxe out. From all the reviews and demo's it sound's really great. My question is do you feel it's a different amp from the drri or more or less does it seem like a drri with some mod's?

I like the SS22 and i wish I could try out the deluxe but they don't have em in stock where I live. Everyone say's the clean channel is stellar and more true to Fender cleans than the SS22 is. The same with reverb/vibrato, all seem to say the deluxe has it in spades over the 22, can anyone who has owned or played both give any insight to what too expect from the deluxe. Is it really that better of a touch sensitive amp than the 22?

I know it's all opinion and I have to hear with my ears but it helps too hear opinions.Thanks

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  20. tce63

tce63 Tele-Holic

Now i got me an Princeton Reverb 65" love it, don´t break up soo early, fantastic sound....

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.