68 Custom Princeton Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by BigD, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Buffalo0993

Buffalo0993 Tele-Holic

I really love this amp it gives me that oh yea feeling lol I'm so glad it worked out I was pretty stressed about it being that no one could tell me if it was good or not before I bought it but I'm happy I did.
    It really sounds good all the way up the dial almost it starts getting flubby around 9 but I have no need to ever play at that volume really. I would recommend this amp for sure to people considering

2. t-luxe

t-luxe Tele-Afflicted

I would guess there's little difference from the PRRI-close enough to use the same circuit board with just a few different cap or resistor values here and there.

3. Buffalo0993

Buffalo0993 Tele-Holic

Yea that's what I originally said, I think it's just a leftover prri board. It's really not all that different from a prri just a few tweaks

4. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

If you're still getting good tone with the guitar dimed and the amp on 9 I think you have a good solid amp.

5. Buffalo0993

Buffalo0993 Tele-Holic

Well on 9 it gets flubby like I said you have to turn the guitar down a bit then it still sounds nice. But 8 yea you can dime your guitar out it still sounds great.

Really it sounds its best at about 5-7, that's the sweet spot that I've found

6. baiff

baiff Tele-Holic

Just curious why you went with the reissue? For $300-$400 more you could get a vintage 70's PR in great condition. I am looking for a Princeton now and trying to decide on a PRRI used for $650, a 68 PR Custom for $849 (maybe less with MF coupon) or a vintage 70's PR for $900-$1200.

7. Buffalo0993

Buffalo0993 Tele-Holic

For the easiness of it. Yea you could get a real princeton reverb for a little more but add on to that that it might need a cap job and that's even more. I'm not disappointed in my amp purchase and I already knew people were gonna ask that question. I like the amp who cares

8. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

I've gone the "vintage" route. Bought a '73 SF Twin Reverb and put new caps, new speakers, new reverb plate, etc for about $360 on top of the $500 I spent buying the amp at the pawn shop. Still, it really didn't sound any better or worse than a friend's new blackface RI twin reverb. Had that SF clean, which was nice, but the grit on his amp as it cranked up was pretty awesome. Those are good amps , too, if you get a good example without any issues. Personally , I haven't had any problems with the new Fender amps that I've purchased in the last 7 years. If issues do come about, send it back in for a good one and you can forget about it for a long time. The circuit boards look fine and they work fine.

If I do get a Twin reverb again, I'd go for one of the these '68 Customs. They seem pretty cool and they look really nice. There is a lot of satisfaction getting a brand new piece of gear, especially if you have had to play second or third hand stuff your whole life. Shiny is fun!

9. Buffalo0993

Buffalo0993 Tele-Holic

Exactly people think because an amp is handwired it has some magic pixie dust put in it by the people who made it. Don't get me wrong vintage fenders are great that's why people want them. But the reissues are pretty similar main difference is they haven't aged. Pcb and handwiring do the same things

10. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

I'm in! my '68 arrived today. Follow up to come with my testimonial. So far it sounds great. Here she is front and center with her friends:

[​IMG]

11. baiff

baiff Tele-Holic

That makes a lot of sense. I know there will always be a debate on handwired vs. PCB but I would rather play what sounds good than worry about amp status. I worked about buying a vintage amp. What if it sounds great and than a few months later I need to drop a few hundred into caps or tubes or whatever. I like the sound of the PRRI and I don't play at volumes that would cause any cabinet rattle. These new 68's have peaked my interest. I may be getting one as soon as I get a MF coupon! Thanks for the reviews and the pics.

12. Buffalo0993

Buffalo0993 Tele-Holic

You know I don't think you'll have to worry about tubes, if anything the tubes in the vintage amp will last longer. Old tubes were built to last and so were the amps. Today the amps are still built to last but the tubes are not.

I'm not trying to steer people away from getting a vintage amp, they were really good amps that will last a lifetime even if you just got one. It's funny I had just begun looking for a vintage princeton reverb a month maybe less before I bought mine. I was looking for silverface because I could afford it, I saw these coming out and I bought one after an hour of thinking about it lol so it had alot to do with fender catching me at the right time, you can't go wrong either way though is what I'm trying to say

Sometimes I wonder if the reason people are cork sniffy about only playing vintage amps is because they have their original high quality tubes still in them?

13. BigD

BigD Friend of Leo's

So cool Keith, welcome to the club. I'm glad to hear all the good reviews coming in. I may not be an elite musician but I know good tone or at least what is good to me and I thought this thing was awesome. I'm glad o hear it's at least respectable to guys with multiple great amps. Maybe I can slow the roll of amp purchasing. AAS is worse than GAS because the amp is really where the sound is and so many awesome amps out there to choose from. Or wait I'm jonesing for a Champ as I type. Rrrghh

14. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

I played through a Princeton with a 12" speaker in it a couple weeks ago and I still can't stop thinking about it. That's why people do it. :D

15. Buffalo0993

Buffalo0993 Tele-Holic

Your craZy guys with multiple great amps, you have multiple great amps. This princeton reverb is the only amp I have. Right now I'm gasing for a champ or I might just go cheap and get a vox pathfinder

16. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

No on the Pathfinder! You want a Drip Edge Champ or Vibro Champ to match your '68 Custom! You are in the Fender family now, you're sunk! Lol.

17. Buffalo0993

Buffalo0993 Tele-Holic

Haha I agree, I think your right! Where's that sound clip man iv been waiting.

18. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

I have to spend some honey time with my wife. I'll get to the clip as soon as I can. I was shocked as to how easy it was to pick up the amp and bring it home. No fuss no worries from my wife! I guess 20 years married, she knows me pretty good. Clip to come! Thanks, Keith.

19. Buffalo0993

Buffalo0993 Tele-Holic

No problem just make sure you do it :p

20. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Tried Jim Campilongo's advice. Turned volume up to 10, bass, 10, treble 8, reverb 5 and some slow tremolo. Roll down Tele volume to clean up. Wow. Sounds great with this '68 CPR. Jim claims to have the amp at these settings all the time and just rolls his volume as needed for dirt, and adjusts his pick attack. I admit 10 was little "hissy" for me, so I ran it at 8. Great amp!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.