68 Custom Princeton Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by BigD, Sep 16, 2013.

1. BigD

BigD Friend of Leo's

I'll start with some pics and Sound clips.

image-3085068187.jpg

image-1830866760.jpg

image-1606241996.jpg

http://soundcloud.com/58tele/68cpr/s-EVa7T

This is through Live Lite 8 and Audix i5 mic. Amp is set with volume just short of 4 treble about 5 and bass about 5. Reverb is off at the foot switch and Vibro is set at zero and zero. This is The Sow Tele I assembled with 51 CS Nocaster pickups. Tone on guitar is all the way up with volume rolled back 1/4 or so. Switch is set to middle position.

2. t-luxe

t-luxe Tele-Afflicted

Dang! I'd love to join but I ordered the DeLuxe!

3. BigD

BigD Friend of Leo's

Well there isn't a Custom Deluxe Club yet.

4. RubyRae

RubyRae Friend of Leo's

I think I am still in shock that they are making these blackline drip edge silverface reissues, not sure exactly that they are called or how they are made...

I guess I am more surprised that there is a market for them...

What was is that attracted you to buy this amp? Were you contemplating a similar boutique style amp, a real vintage Fender, and PRRI...? Just curious.

5. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Sounds good, thanks for posting. Would be interested to hear how the breakup sounds. Cleans sound good.

6. BigD

BigD Friend of Leo's

Yes I was and still am contemplating a PRRI and a Boutique 5e3.

I bought a low power Twin and also wanted something more portable that would play at lower volumes. I guess it was impulse and the fact I like to play some rock music that Led me to buy this amp instead of a DRRI that I was considering. These are a $150 less than the PRRI and from the MIM versus MIA build quality discussions I had read about guitars, I thought it might be worth the chance.

I have not had much luck finding old Fender amps. And the ones I've seen, I wouldn't know how much was original. I don't know any amp techs in this area either. So I've not trusted myself to buy old amps.

As far as a market well, I'm betting FMIC has looked into that.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  7. RubyRae

RubyRae Friend of Leo's

That is a good alternative. Always nice to have 2 amps to cover the higher and lower wattages...

I think the sales with the PRRI were good, so they forecast these will do well.

Enjoy!!!

8. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

New club!

I signed up for a membership here when I ordered my '68CPR. It's not in yet and I anxiously await the stork to arrive. I wanted to comment about what attracted me to this amp. I fell in love with vintage Fender tube amps about 5 yrs ago when I bought my first, a 64BM. A year or so later I wanted another vintage Fender. Something smaller. I had wanted a Princeton Reverb but fell into a really nice 68VC. I fell in love with it. Another year goes by and I found a 63 RI Reverb tank. It sounded abosutely heavenly with my VC. I love the tremolo and reverb together through a Fender amp and guitar. FF another few years and I find tweed amp kits. I build a 5F1, 5F2A and 5E3. All killer amps in their own right. Got into the tweed grind happily. Now by this time I'm infected with the Fender amp disease and the idea owning a PR is still on my mind. I've been seeking out a 68PR as I seem to prefer the drip edge look best of all. I made a few offers on some PR amps I located but they never worked out. Of the 2 vintage Fender amps I bought, both needed work once they arrived in the mail. I had to buy them sight unseen as I live in a smaller sized Canadian town and vintage fender amps seem to turn up for sale as often as free gas day at the local pump. So as soon as I saw the 68CPR I started drooling. It looks amazing. I also play a lot at home. The amp may rarely, if ever see a gig out. I like dirt, I like clean. I like reverb and tremolo and drip edge looks. It's light, compact, 5 year warranty, and tube. A great match. After a few days of pacing and fretting over it, I ordered it. My wife still does not know as I sneak in and pre-pay money every week on it. Can't wait! I'll report my findings when it arrives.

9. Buffalo0993

Buffalo0993 Tele-Holic

I'm in too! Mine will be here next week, can't wait. Will do a full review once this and my new mic arrive, the mic will be probly arrive here later

10. BigD

BigD Friend of Leo's

Awesome, thanks guys we're off to a good start.

11. RubyRae

RubyRae Friend of Leo's

keith you are a dirty dog and I love your style. I am the same way with gear, as the wife just doesn't "get it". At least I make enough money at gigs to justify some of the spending but I am seriously due for a new rig. I always admired your collection and this will be a good addition. Post some clips, pics and reviews.

Congrats.

12. baiff

baiff Tele-Holic

If you could do a few more clips maybe with reverb, tremelo and turned up that would be great. I am considering getting one of these.

13. Buffalo0993

Buffalo0993 Tele-Holic

I'm getting mine today! Just a few more hours. Ill post some clips on Thursday most likely

14. BigD

BigD Friend of Leo's

Love Pedals got theirs yesterday. They were super impressed. He is considering buying a few more to see how consistent they are.

My clips are not good representations of this amp but I'll see what I can do. I've been waiting for Buffalo's review.

15. tiskit86

tiskit86 Friend of Leo's

How hard would it be to put a 12" baffle and speaker in it? I suppose you could take the chassis out and put it in a different cab too, which would be just as good, but I like the smaller size.

16. Buffalo0993

Buffalo0993 Tele-Holic

I just got it! It's really a great amp at the volumes I play at around 3 or 4 it sounds great, but when you start breaking it up man it doesn't sound good at all quite horrible actually. I still love it and I'm not going to get rid of it probably just about to order a new speaker right now, I rarely play at that volume but i should be able to if I feel the need. Good reverb good trem though. Hopefully a new speaker will sort it all out. This is definitely not a gigging amp straight out of the box I can say that, but I don't gig anyway. Well see what happens gonna put a weber in

17. BigD

BigD Friend of Leo's

Mine sounds better after a few hours of playing even after the breakup. Mod away though but while you're waiting for that speaker break the stock speaker in at 7-8 and you may be surprised.

18. Buffalo0993

Buffalo0993 Tele-Holic

Yea I mean this is first impressions I just played it for about 45 minutes. I plan on changing the speaker no matter what though just because I want it to be great

The end of this week no one will be home so ill be able to really drive it I didn't go past 5

19. BigD

BigD Friend of Leo's

image-4113333460.jpg

Looks to me like it could be just removed with a screwdriver and a new baffle or trim this one. As far as room it could only move down.

Attached Files:

20. BigD

BigD Friend of Leo's

image-60972522.jpg

A 12 would be a squeeze but maybe.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.