68 Custom Princeton Reverb

lonewalk78

TDPRI Member
I got a killer deal on a 68 custom Princeton and I really like this amp. Looking for some more sparkle out of this beast. This one doesnt have the R34 18k done, I already opened it up and it wasn't done or it was missed. I've got some parts coming to change C23 to .047 and I might do the C10 and C16 to .1 as the 65 spec. Also looking at changing the speaker to something with better highs. I'm leaning towards the EMI 1058. Any suggestion would be great.

'64 Tele

Tele-Afflicted
I put a Celestion Greenback in mine.
Big improvement over stock.
My 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb came with a Celestion V type.
There is now a 10 inch V type and if I was changing, that's what I'd use.
The V type in the DR has plenty of highs. It's the best speaker I've used in any DR, and I've had a 1964 with a JBL that I swapped to a Mesa Boogie Black Shadow, 1966 with an Altec Lansing that I put the 64s JBL in.
The V type is a very "even" sounding speaker.
Sweetwater had them on sale recently.

Last edited:

Bob Womack

Friend of Leo's
I've written up my experiences with the '68 Custom Prince HERE. The guy who owned mine before me put a Warehouse American Vintage G10C speaker in it, and it has cleaned things up a bit.

princespeak.jpg

I really think the tone stack changes collated over HERE that you apparently know about already are what are going to change the tone the most.

Bob

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
Mine is fine as-is, but mine never leaves the living room. The interweb suggests that it tends to be a dark amp in general. I can't speak for that because I can't crank it much beyond 6. My gut suspicion is that a new speaker won't buy you much "sparkle" on its own. It may get you partway there, but you may want to consider another amp, or tweak the tone stack and components in yours. In the long run, a trade may be simpler. May even want to consider the new Custom 68 Vibro-Champ Or a Tonemaster DR.

zhyla

Tele-Meister
I think I would complete the mods to convert it to 65PRRI spec and then see how it sounds for a bit before swapping the speaker. The Celestion 10 30 that comes stock in these doesn't have a dramatically different frequency graph than the C10R's that come in the 65PRRI -- highs roll off a little earlier and no mids scoop on the Celestion. Depending on exactly how much top end "sparkle" you want, the 10 30 may be fine.

lonewalk78

TDPRI Member
Mine is fine as-is, but mine never leaves the living room. The interweb suggests that it tends to be a dark amp in general. I can't speak for that because I can't crank it much beyond 6. My gut suspicion is that a new speaker won't buy you much "sparkle" on its own. It may get you partway there, but you may want to consider another amp, or tweak the tone stack and components in yours. In the long run, a trade may be simpler. May even want to consider the new Custom 68 Vibro-Champ Or a Tonemaster DR.
I had the Vibrochamp and didn't mesh with it...wasn't a fan of the reverb and mids. I have 2 vintage twin reverbs not looking to get as sparkly as them but just add some more high. I really love this amp just fine tuning to get it all the way there.

lonewalk78

TDPRI Member
I've written up my experiences with the '68 Custom Prince HERE. The guy who owned mine before me put a Warehouse American Vintage G10C speaker in it, and it has cleaned things up a bit.

princespeak.jpg

I really think the tone stack changes collated over HERE that you apparently know about already are what are going to change the tone the most.

Bob
Thanks man...these 2 articles are what sent me down the mod path. I'm gonna try the 65 spec tone stack and see where that goes. If needed then maybe speaker. I'm also trying some old preamp tubes of different flavor to see what that does.

Bob Womack

Friend of Leo's
Thanks man...these 2 articles are what sent me down the mod path. I'm gonna try the 65 spec tone stack and see where that goes. If needed then maybe speaker. I'm also trying some old preamp tubes of different flavor to see what that does.
Please report back to us! Mine is stock and I've been wondering if I should reduce the woof a bit.

Bob

beninma

Friend of Leo's
I think I would complete the mods to convert it to 65PRRI spec and then see how it sounds for a bit before swapping the speaker. The Celestion 10 30 that comes stock in these doesn't have a dramatically different frequency graph than the C10R's that come in the 65PRRI -- highs roll off a little earlier and no mids scoop on the Celestion. Depending on exactly how much top end "sparkle" you want, the 10 30 may be fine.
Why do that instead of just selling it and buying a 65PRRI?

It seems like a lot of unnecessary work.

Whoa Tele

Friend of Leo's
I got a killer deal on a 68 custom Princeton and I really like this amp. Looking for some more sparkle out of this beast. This one doesnt have the R34 18k done, I already opened it up and it wasn't done or it was missed. I've got some parts coming to change C23 to .047 and I might do the C10 and C16 to .1 as the 65 spec. Also looking at changing the speaker to something with better highs. I'm leaning towards the EMI 1058. Any suggestion would be great.
I’m gonna offer a different solution and suggest you look for a used Wampler Black 65 pedal. I have one and run it in front of my Pro Jr and Lil Dawg Tweed deluxe as a channel switcher EQ pedal. You can also add gain if you wish but I use it mostly on the clean side for my application. It’s has bass mids and treble and is a great tone sculpter for dark sounding amps as it adds that blackface sparkle

bluesintheblood

Tele-Meister
WGS Veteran 10"....? I wasn't sure, as I'd never had one before, but

Just put one in my 5F11, quite impressed so far....it sounds worn in and vintage

Had the Legend 1028K in the cab first, which is a great speaker too, but for me at home, found it quite an efficent speaker, more volume, more bass than the Veteran

Also have the PRRI Can Rex limited in tweed, and also replaced that with a reissue Jensen P12R...and I like that better than the Can Rex that was in there, more Fendery...and actually I find a bit more mids....and again less efficient, but fine for me at home

lonewalk78

TDPRI Member
I’m gonna offer a different solution and suggest you look for a used Wampler Black 65 pedal. I have one and run it in front of my Pro Jr and Lil Dawg Tweed deluxe as a channel switcher EQ pedal. You can also add gain if you wish but I use it mostly on the clean side for my application. It’s has bass mids and treble and is a great tone sculpter for dark sounding amps as it adds that blackface sparkle
I saw that pedal and I looking interesting. Might have to check it out.

lonewalk78

TDPRI Member
I need to try it paired with my Marshall Dsl40 or Vox ac15c1 or maybe go all fender and try it with my 74 Twin Reverb 🤔