68 Custom Princeton Reverb Owners Thread

giogolf

Tele-Meister
Call me Crazy, but this is a damn good amp! Not sure if one exists, but maybe this can be an official thread for the 68 Custom Princeton Reverb (68 CPR)

So ever since I got rid of my Lil Dawg Deluxe 35 Watt amp, I've been on the hunt for the next amp that will carry me for awhile.

When I was a gigging musician I was all in on my 68 Twin Reverb with JBLs.. It gave me all the bell like clean head room I needed and just never sounded bad wherever the knobs were set as well as take all my pedals very well. Towards the end of Band days, I fell in love with the Tweed sound and had Jim build me a high power Deluxe.. It was glorious, no it wasn't bell like clean, but I could get close enough, and for the few songs that required that level of shimmer I could mess with the controls and roll some volume on my Tele and get pretty close.. But where it excelled was that beautiful saturated edge of break up to full on over drive tone.

I was in heaven, until life changed and I got a big boy job... fast forward 10 years and I am falling in love with the guitar again and trying to rebuild myself as an enthusiast guitarist.. Learning the basics, theory, all kinds of things that I ignored growing up. I am now and probably always will be an at home player.. So my points of view here on out, are from someone who is playing at reasonable house volumes.

I sold the D'luxe after being frustrated that I could barley get the volume past 1.5 before the walls shook.. at this volume the amp was just no fun.. I tried an attenuator and no dice. I sold the amp and then jumped head first into the small amp rabbit hole.. I bought an AC41-12, a Pathfinder 15r, 65 DRRI, Champion 600, Headphones and a POD... The AC4 was not for me, I couldn't get that thing to fit my ear no matter what, and I wasn't going to start modding it.. The Pathfinder 15r is the post apocalyptic amp, no tubes no worries, it just works and does what you need, but you always peak over the fence at those other amps with glowing tubes.. The 65 DRRI is fabulous, but just to darn loud so out that went.. The Champ 600 fell at my feet in a trade deal and is/was a one trick pony so that got sent off for some experimental surgery (future thread coming).. The POD with headphones... Do I need to say more? Its a POD with headphones how do you think it sounds :)

And now the 68 CPR... What the heck is this thing? 90% of the internet thinks this is worst thing since sliced bread. A Silverface Princeton with a modded bassman circuit that's warmer and boomier than the 65 BF.. WTF! I hate it, no way, never, we need to rip this open and mod it back to spec immediately!!!

But I plugged into the 68 CPR anyway.. I needed to hear it for myself.. Using my AO 60's Tele I couldn't believe how sweet the sounds were from Volume 1-4. Warmer, yes, boomier, yes, but a little dial fiddling and there's that Fender clean sound! Then crank the volume to 5-7 and sweet baby Jesus we are getting dirty! With my Tele, the 68 PRRI is a beast, it can get brittle and nasty, or roll some dials and your are chicken pickin sparkly.. Then I plugged in my 01 AMS Strat and was in shimmer sparkle heaven upto about 5.5 on the volume. My Strat doesn't have hot PU's, so your millage may vary.

Ok, so why the hate for this amp? Well, if you are an un-miced gigging musician that needs clean volume look elsewhere.. why are you even looking at a Princeton.. move along and head right onto the Deluxe or something bigger. If you wanna get all crazy horse on stage you can definitely do this with the 68 PRRI... but clean and articulate glass cutting highs... nope not this one, unless you mic it.. Sure you could pop in a 12" JBL variant and get some more headroom, but now your just trying to take you VW Beatle on a Jeep trail... Bad idea

Who is this for then? The usable volume range is amazing for home and studio use.. Because its warmer and boomier you actually get amazing clean sounds at very low volumes. You can also obtain dirty sounds without pissing the neighbors off to much.. If you are in a Flat or an Apartment this inst the amp for you if you are going passed 3 on the volume.

The other target user, IMHO is the recording professional... You can get a wide dynamic range with this amp at all volume levels and I truly believe it produces a better variety of sound than a 65 PRRI. The 65 PRRI is great, it does the Fender Clean thing very well and it gets dirty, but only BF style dirty and when you want bass or mids, its not really there. With the 68 CPR you can get lower volume BF clean, but you get a heep of usable Mid and Bass as well as dirt that gets into the 50's Tweed era.

So, I know that was a lot, but I just think certain things needed to be cleared up about the 68 CPR .. Its not a bad amp! and its not the Perfect Amp either... because everyone needs are different.

Summary:
This amp isn't for you if you need loud and clean (un-miced)
This amp is for you if you want a variety of Fender tones from the 50-70s at very reasonable volumes.
This amp isn't for you if you want dirt and live in a flat or an apartment.
This amp is for you, if you actually want really really great clean tones from low to mid level volumes without sounding anemic.
This amp is for you, if you dream of luscious Fender reverb and Tremolo sounds

So there you have it, I opened the can of worms for you.. Flame me, burn me at the stake! Just kidding, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and its the reason why this world is full of the variety of gear

lonewalk78

TDPRI Member
Not sure if one exists, but maybe this can be an official thread for the 68 Custom Princeton Reverb (68 CPR)

So ever since I got rid of my Lil Dawg Deluxe 35 Watt amp, Ive been on the hunt for the next amp that will carry me for awhile.

When I was a gigging musician I was all in on my 68 Twin Reverb with JBLs.. It gave me all the bell like clean head room I needed and just never sounded bad wherever the knobs were set as well as take all my pedals very well. Towards the end of Band days, I fell in love with the Tweed sound and had Jim build me a high power Deluxe.. It was glorious, no it wasn't bell like clean, but I could get close enough, and for the few songs that required that level of shimmer I could mess with the controls and roll some volume on my Tele and get pretty close.. But where it excelled was that beautiful saturated edge of break up to full on over drive tone.

I was in heaven, until life changed and I got a big boy job... fast forward 10 years and I am falling in love with the guitar again and trying to rebuild myself as an enthusiast guitarist.. Learning the basics, theory, all kinds of things that I ignored growing up. I am now and probably always will be an at home player.. So my points of view here on out, are from someone who is playing at reasonable house volumes.

I sold the D'luxe after being frustrated that I could barley get the volume past 1.5 before the walls shook.. at this volume the amp was just no fun.. I tried an attenuator and no dice. I sold the amp and then jumped head first into the small amp rabbit hole.. I bought an AC41-12, a Pathfinder 15r, 65 DRRI, Champion 600, Headphones and a POD... The AC4 was not for me, I couldn't get that thing to fit my ear no matter what, and I wasn't going to start modding it.. The Pathfinder 15r is the post apocalyptic amp, no tubes no worries, it just works and does what you need, but you always peak over the fence at those other amps with glowing tubes.. The 65 DRRI is fabulous, but just to darn loud so out that went.. The Champ 600 fell at my feet in a trade deal and is/was a one trick pony so that got sent off for some experimental surgery (future thread coming).. The POD with headphones... Do I need to say more? Its a POD with headphones how do you think it sounds :)

And now the 68 CPR... What the heck is this thing? 90% of the internet thinks this is worst thing since sliced bread. A Silverface Princeton with a modded bassman circuit that's warmer and boomier than the 65 BF.. WTF! I hate it, no way, never, we need to rip this open and mod it back to spec immediately!!!

But I plugged into the 68 CPR anyway.. I needed to hear it for myself.. Using my AO 60's Tele I couldn't believe how sweet the sounds were from Volume 1-4. Warmer, yes, boomier, yes, but a little dial fiddling and there's that Fender clean sound! Then crank the volume to 5-7 and sweet baby Jesus we are getting dirty! With my Tele, the 68 PRRI is a beast, it can get brittle and nasty, or roll some dials and your are chicken pickin sparkly.. Then I plugged in my 01 AMS Strat and was in shimmer sparkle heaven upto about 5.5 on the volume. My Strat doesn't have hot PU's, so your millage may vary.

Ok, so why the hate for this amp? Well, if you are an un-miced gigging musician that needs clean volume look elsewhere.. why are you even looking at a Princeton.. move along and head right onto the Deluxe or something bigger. If you wanna get all crazy horse on stage you can definitely do this with the 68 PRRI... but clean and articulate glass cutting highs... nope not this one, unless you mic it.. Sure you could pop in a 12" JBL variant and get some more headroom, but now your just trying to take you VW Beatle on a Jeep trail... Bad idea

Who is this for then? The usable volume range is amazing for home and studio use.. Because its warmer and boomier you actually get amazing clean sounds at very low volumes. You can also obtain dirty sounds without pissing the neighbors off to much.. If you are in a Flat or an Apartment this inst the amp for you if you are going passed 3 on the volume.

The other target user, IMHO is the recording professional... You can get a wide dynamic range with this amp at all volume levels and I truly believe it produces a better variety of sound than a 65 PRRI. The 65 PRRI is great, it does the Fender Clean thing very well and it gets dirty, but only BF style dirty and when you want bass or mids, its not really there. With the 68 CPR you can get lower volume BF clean, but you get a heep of usable Mid and Bass as well as dirt that gets into the 50's Tweed era.

So, I know that was a lot, but I just think certain things needed to be cleared up about the 68 CPR .. Its not a bad amp! and its not the Perfect Amp either... because everyone needs are different.

Summary:
This amp is for you if you want a variety of Fender tones from the 50-70s at very reasonable volumes.
This amp is for you, if you actually want really really great clean tones from low to mid level volumes without sounding anemic.

So there you have it, I opened the can of worms for you.. Flame me, burn me at the stake! Just kidding, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and its the reason why this world is full of the variety of gear
It is a great amp, I also own one and love it. I did the mods but in the end I put it back to stock and love it. Very fun amp

Stratellafella

TDPRI Member
Bought a Tweed Princeton reverb with a 12" tone tubby speaker a couple of years ago great amp Unbelievable cleans not too loud and it takes pedals wonderfully Made a believer out of me BTY that was a good solid review

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
People don’t like it because it is very bass heavy and the stock speaker is mediocre at best. A speaker upgrade greatly improves it. Other people want the Princeton reverb to give them the classic black face sound like the 65. The other problem is the cabinet rattle. I had one once and tried EVERYTHING before finally giving up. Plus it costs a thousand $$$.

That said, I think the 68 has the best sounding low volume breakup I have ever heard. It’s absolutely killer.

Bob Womack

Friend of Leo's
Yup. The '65 Prince Reissue is a bit stiff and bright for me. I sat down with it and the '68 CPR and knew I was in trouble. All it needed was a red jewel. More, HERE.

redprincesm.jpg

Bob

nickmm

Tele-Holic
Both 65 and 68 Princeton amps are good at the price point.
To me they do a better job than the Deluxes.

Princeton's can fill small rooms easily and stay clean.

sloppychops

Tele-Afflicted
I bought a lightly used '68 PRRI a couple years ago and love it. My one gripe is that there's a rattle in the speaker grill when the volume gets to 4 (which in my case isn't often). Pressing on the grill where the "Fender" logo is makes the rattle go away. I haven't figured out a fix for this yet.

giogolf

Tele-Meister
Both 65 and 68 Princeton amps are good at the price point.
To me they do a better job than the Deluxes.

Princeton's can fill small rooms easily and stay clean.

Agreed, but the Deluxe has its place :) Definitely louder clean headroom for those playing larger venues where the PR cant handle it (un mic'ed)

Terrygh1949

Tele-Meister
Call me Crazy, but this is a damn good amp! Not sure if one exists, but maybe this can be an official thread for the 68 Custom Princeton Reverb (68 CPR)

So ever since I got rid of my Lil Dawg Deluxe 35 Watt amp, I've been on the hunt for the next amp that will carry me for awhile.

Summary:

I purchased a Fender Mustang GTX 100 and I absolutely love it! Gives me all I want and need for home and a gig. What more do you need?

JSMac

Tele-Afflicted
I bought a used '68 and really didn't like the flubby bass and lack of effectiveness of the bass control.

A speaker swap helped but the bass issue is part of the circuit. I don't know what mods were referred to above. I did the simple, reversible mod where you jump across the resistor that appears to be an added afterthought. That made a world of difference. The bass control is much more effective. As the volume is increased the bass can be turned down to get the tone I want.

Bass Mod.JPG

Arfage

Tele-Meister

Summary:

People are crazy. Those amps were great and I can't believe Fender removed it from the line.

ifallalot

Tele-Afflicted
I had a 65 PRRI and didn't love it. I've had a 68 DRRI and 68 TRRI and really liked them both.

I've been listening to a lot of Tom Petty lately and have the itch for this amp. I think it would sound awesome running in parallel with my Origin 50

mmannaxx

Tele-Meister
Well I have a 75 PR that scratches my Fender itch. I have had and sold vintage Deluxe Reverbs, Vibrolux Reverbs, and a rather heavy 15 inch 64 Vibroverb!
I am fine with the PR and I have a really unique 5E3 clone as well to get a tweedy sound. I prefer amps without PCBs as far as tube amps go. Oh yeah, I have a 67 VibroChamp for mobility and tone.

Dentron

TDPRI Member
I have a 68 CPR and it’s not for me. It’s just too dark. I’ve even tried different speakers, bigger speakers, putting in the jumper to make the bass more usable. It’s just not my sound.

If anyone wants to trade for a 65 PRRI shoot me a message.

Lowspeid

Tele-Meister
I owned a ‘68 CPR for several years and loved it. I also play a ‘60s AO Tele, so I completely agree with @giogolf about the clean-to-mean tones you can get from the ‘68 CPR. It takes pedals extremely well, sounds good at any volume, and sounds amazing at 8 (if you can ever get there) once the speaker is all broken in. The stock speaker sounds good from 1-10 once it it’s fully broken in, but it takes a lot of time to get it there.

I ultimately sold it because one day I foolishly sat down in a guitar store and played a ‘68 CPR, ‘65 PRRI, and a vintage ‘75 PR next to each other with my AO Tele. The ‘75 now resides at my home.

If I had it to do over, I’d still buy the ‘75, but I would have kept the ‘68 as well.

giogolf

Tele-Meister
I owned a ‘68 CPR for several years and loved it. I also play a ‘60s AO Tele, so I completely agree with @giogolf about the clean-to-mean tones you can get from the ‘68 CPR. It takes pedals extremely well, sounds good at any volume, and sounds amazing at 8 (if you can ever get there) once the speaker is all broken in. The stock speaker sounds good from 1-10 once it it’s fully broken in, but it takes a lot of time to get it there.

I ultimately sold it because one day I foolishly sat down in a guitar store and played a ‘68 CPR, ‘65 PRRI, and a vintage ‘75 PR next to each other with my AO Tele. The ‘75 now resides at my home.

If I had it to do over, I’d still buy the ‘75, but I would have kept the ‘68 as well.

How does the 75 sound compared to the the 68 CPR and 65 PRRI? I have a 72 MusicMaster Bass amp, but that circuit is kinda weird so I dont know what late 70's Silver faced amps are supposed to sound like