1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

68 Custom Deluxe Reverb- speaker change

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by krb813, Oct 18, 2020.

1. krb813

krb813 TDPRI Member

Has anyone put a Cannabis Rex speaker in the 68 CDR? I have a Creamback in there now. I'm not sure I'm a fan of it for this amp.

2. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

You're going to get plenty of people who love and hate the cannibus rex. It words good with some circuits, not for others. I think the speaker is an enormously important part of the equation, and we would all be a million times happier with 8ish spare 12" speakers (already broke in) just to test in different amps.

If you aren't happy with it as is, try the CRex, if you end up unhappy, keep trying. There are plenty of options from Eminence, Weber, WGS, wherever.
    What specifically are you disliking about the creamback? Bass frequency response? From what I've seen, the Crex isn't lacking in keeping the low end together. Other characteristics are up for debate.

3. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Holic

The custom channel on the 68 series runs darker (more bass and mids) than the 65, might be a little too girthy. If you mostly use the blackface side, it’ll likely sound great.

4. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

If it’s a new speaker it will take some time for it to break in and loosen up. My 68’ CDR came with a Celestion Red back that took forever to break in. Sounds great now...

5. Hpilotman

Hpilotman Tele-Meister

I like the Eminence Red/White/Blues or the Legend 1275 in 1 x12 Fender Tube Amps. Works great in DRRI- Blues JR - HR Deluxe.
    Take note that these speakers are 101 db speakers. If your amp is on the darker side I would try the Legend 1275.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    homesick345 likes this.
  6. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

I have the Crex speakers in my '71 Twin and I like them just fine. Clean, punchy and articulate.

7. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Crex in my ampeg gvt15. Love it

8. Cheap Trills

Cheap Trills Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Is this the one with the red print? I've been looking at it and considering picking one up. Mind if I ask, how did you break it in? how long did it take?

9. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Yes, the red looks cool. It was gradually getting better just playing through it over about a month but I can’t really crank it for any length of time. I put it in the vocal booth and played this at moderate volume through the speaker using one my power amps while we went to Dallas to go see Mark Lettieri for a day ( about 18 hours). It helped a lot. A couple of rehearsals or gigs would do it for sure.
    The amp is a monster.

Cheap Trills likes this.
  10. Cheap Trills

Cheap Trills Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

nice, thanks for the info!

11. telemystix

telemystix Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Try the Eminence Alessandro SC64 -
    pretty cheap - but it fits the dlx reverb circuit like nothing else!

thank me later!

12. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Alnico gold.

13. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

I have a C.Rex in my '74 SFDR and it sounds fantastic in that amp. Sweet highs and a very nice bottom and it's very efficient. I know some folks don't like them, but in that amp, it works very well for me.

14. Colt m423

Colt m423 TDPRI Member

I have the same 68cdr as you. I am not real happy with the neo creamback. I bought that version for the pine cab. Rather than regular version with cheap ply wood cab. Sounds good. But does not give off that smoky, mean, vintage country/classic rock tone im after. Its for sure a very full sounding speaker. A lot of bass response. Im looking for other options as well. I had the same question about the cannibas rex. If anyone on this thread can throw me, and this guy some options im sure we would appreciate it.

15. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

I had a CRex for years in a Gries 20 amp, essentially a one-channel DR. Best of all the speakers I tried in that amp. Now have a Weber 12A150 in an oversized new cab for a vintage DR .. first time I've tried an alnico speaker in a DR, and it's a winner.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.