68 Custom deluxe reverb r.i. noise

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Grandfunkfan, Sep 21, 2021.

1. Grandfunkfan

Grandfunkfan TDPRI Member

I played a 68 Custom deluxe reverb r.i. today and loved everything about, including the separate e.q.s for each channel, 22 watts, celestion speaker, etc. They only bad thing was the noise it made. I turned it on and had the volume off and it had a loud hiss. I'm not being a cork sniffer here. I've been playing fender tube amps for 30 years and I'm used to over looking weird noises, but this was way beyond. A lot of the user reviews I've read mentioned what they call floor noise associated with this amp. Anybody else experience this? Is it another luck of the draw thing with fender quality control? I will say once I started playing there wasn't any noise even at clean settings. I'm just worried it'll crap out right after the warranty period expires. The Princeton would be a great alternative but I'm wondering if they have similar issues.

2. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Afflicted

The hiss comes from where Fender changed the value of the negative feedback resistor. It's a common issue with the 68 range.

Timbresmith1, corliss1 and EsquireBoy like this.
  3. Grandfunkfan

We'll I'll have to do a side by side with the Princeton. I like the configuration of the deluxe but like most amps I'll probably only use one channel most of the time anyway. The Princeton is great with a tele, as long as it has enough head room.

4. SoK66

SoK66 Tele-Afflicted

Hiss, hum & buzz are apparently 100% faults with these things to one degree or another. If you look inside it's a "Designed by Marketing & Finance MBA" special. Psionic Audio has several You Tube videos on these and the fixes needed are extensive. The power supply & heater grounding is all through the pots, rather than direct to the chassis. The hiss is a combination of reduced negative feedback, simple to revise, and the PCB traces' to the volume pots. The fix for the latter is to cut the traces and run shielded wire to the pots & grids of V1 & V2. Add cheap componentry and you might as well rewire it PTP.

I bought one last year and after jacking with it for awhile decided it sucked. I covered it up and it awaits its keep/sell fate. If I keep it I'll have to mod it and that will kill its value. Thinking it might be trade bait for a Tonemaster.

5. Grandfunkfan

Did it sound o.k. when you bought it and get worse over time. Or was it a lemon from the get go?

6. Rhomco

Rhomco Friend of Leo's

I have three DRs. A 1969, a DRRI and a 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb. They all sound great but the 69 is my favourite.
    The CDR has the hiss you speak of but really it comes down to this. I can sit at home by myself and dwell on it or i can just go play it in a band setting and it is nothing.
    Rob

Jakedog and 4pickupguy like this.
  7. corliss1

corliss1 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Try a 65 - those should be pretty darn quiet.

Axegrinder77 likes this.
  8. Grandfunkfan

9. Grandfunkfan

I could deal with a little noise, like you said in a band situation it's not a problem. What scared me off was the amp I demoed didn't have any noise even cranked. Meanwhile the guitar store I was gonna buy if from said it was a 6 month wait to get it in. Meanwhile I demoed the amp again and turned all the way down the noise was through the roof. I figured if I bought the amp the noise issue would get worse over time and I'd be stuck with it beyond the warranty period.

10. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

I love the sound of my ‘68 CDR. It does have more hiss than a DRRI but you can’t hear it over the cymbals but you can certainly hear it over a studio mic. I would interested in a mod that makes it quieter and a little more like a DRRI. I could live with that. Great amp though! The only way I can describe it is it’s a DRRIs less refined hotter sister.

Axegrinder77 likes this.
  11. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Had both, agree with all that. DRRI for me.. I prefer the clarity and the breakup. And they seem a bit better built, in the USA.

12. Grandfunkfan

13. Grandfunkfan

I could live with it if it didn't get any worse, but that's yet to be seen. The other thing is for $1250.00 there shouldn't be any issues. I live Fender gear, it's all I've ever used except my Peavy Delta blues, but they have been a little lax with their Q.C. In the past few years.

14. CalebAaron666

CalebAaron666 Tele-Holic

Yes, mine was hissy and then it started ticking when I had the tremolo going.
    I liked the tone of the amp, but the noise was annoying, especially in the studio.
    I was ready to give up and sell it, but the idea of finding and buying the perfect deluxe reverb was exhausting.
    Instead, I had a local amp builder gut the 68 and build a brand new handwired deluxe using the cab. Couldn’t be happier.

4pickupguy likes this.
  15. Grandfunkfan

That's great, glad it worked out for you, but it shouldn't be that way. Fenders got us by the balls and they know it. I will say however my 20 year old made in the Usa Delta blues is still going strong and more than fills my needs time wise. I just thought the Deluxe would be nice amp to have, and I did love how it sounded. I was also gonna use for gigging instead of lugging the Delta blues around. We'll see how the Princeton works out. I know the sound man's gonna like it.

CalebAaron666 likes this.
  16. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Afflicted

I have the new '68 Vibrochamp Reverb and have not experienced any noise except the usual barely audible 60 cycle hum with single coil guitars. Can't speak for the Princeton or Deluxe of the '68 Silverface reissue line, but for the Vibrochamp the sound really opened up and improved after playing it a couple hours every day for a couple a weeks. Great cleans, very nice edge of dirt at volume and like most Silverface and Blackface amps, takes pedals well.

20210725_230725.jpg

17. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I have one in my house right now. I’ve been borrowing it, trying to decide whether or not to buy it. I’m leaning “yes”. The one I have is from this year. I don’t think it’s excessively noisy. In my house, which was built in 1942 and has excessively crappy electric, it’s not any noisier than any of my other amps. I’ve used it on a few gigs and had no noise issues at all.

I’m a 98% live player. I have no real issues with it. Haven’t noticed anything that would make me not want it, except that it sounds like a fender amp, which ain’t really my thing. But… with the reduced negative feedback, reverb and trem on both channels, the custom channel, and celestion speaker, it speaks more to me than any BF or SF amp I’ve ever plugged into. I kinda dig it.

I guess I could nitpick it for hiss, and I’ll try to now, cause I keep hearing that from people. But those people I’m hearing that from only play alone in their houses. I just don’t do that. I really haven’t heard anything I thought was more than standard amp stuff.

18. Grandfunkfan

The one I played had no noise at all the first time I played it. 6 months later it was so noisy with the volume all the way off I had to walk away from it to talk to the salesman. As I said earlier, Im used to hiss and pops and stuff from my amps but this was beyond. And it got worse as time went on.

19. CalebAaron666

CalebAaron666 Tele-Holic

I had the Peavey delta blues with the 15” speaker. Loved that amp, but I was young, reckless, and rough with my gear I suppose. It seemed as though the tubes were constantly rattling, shaking loose, cracking, or straight up shattering.
    It got to the point where I was fearful so much as giving the amp a dirty look would result in disaster. After having it fixed for the 3rd time I sold it for peanuts (I was strapped for cash at the time).
    Since then, I’ve seen photos online of people building cages or straps to hold the tubes in place. Wish I had thought of that!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.