1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

68 custom amps

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by Bikerider20, Mar 6, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Bikerider20

Bikerider20 TDPRI Member

I know fender doesn’t sell the 68 custom pro reverb or vibrolux on their website but they have sparked interest in me. I’m wondering what your thoughts are on these two amps if you have played them and do they sound like an original SF or BF fender or at least close to it? I’m looking for that classic fender clean sound and want a bright switch and 6L6 tubes, any information helps at all and hope you all are doing good:).

68Telebass likes this.
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Howdy and welcome!
    I'm really curious about the Pro.
    It might be the perfect gigging tube amp, for me.
    I like 1-12 amps, and 40 watts will have enough headroom to stay clean at moderate volume.
    The speaker is a Neo, so it will be lighter.
    Fender reverb and tremolo is hard to beat.
    I'm looking forward to their availability.
    I'll have to try it before I get one.

3. Bikerider20

Bikerider20 TDPRI Member

Yeah I’ve never played one but I’ve seen countless videos and they sound great! I’m wondering if they sound close to an original BF or SF but they can always be modded.

brookdalebill likes this.
  4. tshoe71

tshoe71 TDPRI Member

So Fender just re-released the 68 Custom Pro. I had one on pre-order, but opted instead for the Twin. I haven’t played a vintage 65/68, but compared to my TMTR which I understand is voiced to the 65, I definitely prefer my 68 SF. I’ve posted a different thread about my impressions last week on here.

upload_2021-3-6_9-28-20.jpeg

68Telebass likes this.
  5. LesTele

LesTele Tele-Meister

I had the ‘68 custom deluxe. Great sounding amp. The custom side sounded more like my old BF bassman. The regular vintage side didn’t sound as good as the black face deluxe reverb in my opinion. But both vibrato and reverb or were available on both channels. You could also jumper both channels because they were in faze. Which is cool. No bright switch though.

would’ve kept that amp except I got one of my favorite amps of all time a black face super reverb.

6. Bikerider20

Bikerider20 TDPRI Member

The vibrolux I’m assuming? And I need to do a blind test at my shop with the Deluxe and the vibrolux. If I choose the deluxe I’ll probably put 6L6s in it.

7. Bikerider20

Bikerider20 TDPRI Member

What do you like more about the SF?

8. LesTele

LesTele Tele-Meister

no I’ve never played the new custom vibrolux. I’m sure it’s close to a smaller silverface SR

9. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

I would say that not many of us here would have played the new Pro yet. I know up here in Canada I haven't even seen one at the store yet, they're pretty new.

I have played a '68 Custom Vibrolux Reverb and I know own a '66 Vibrolux Reverb. The '68 Custom is not the same circuit as a BF/SF Vibrolux Reverb, it just happens to have the same name. You could dig around here a bit more to find out for sure, but I believe I read that the '68 Custom Vibrolux is in the '63 Vibroverb RI > BF Custom Vibrolux Reverb lineage. With that said, it sounds good. It sounds Fendery. It seemed to have a good amount of clean headroom. And I like a 2x10 setup. I think they are good amps and if I was looking for a modern Fender amp, I would take a good long look at it.

10. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Welcome? This sub-forum is where we introduce ourselves. Ask your question at one of the amp forums here.

11. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Afflicted

Welcome from Albuquerque New Mexico:D good luck on your search

12. PastorJay

PastorJay Friend of Leo's

Welcome!

Fender's 68 Custom series supposedly has a "modified" tone stack that sounds more like a Tweed or maybe a Blonde or Brown amp than the original BF/SF amps. To the extent that's true, you'd probably be better off with a 65 reissue for the "classic fender clean sound." Does the modified tone stack make that much difference? I don't know.

13. 68Telebass

68Telebass Friend of Leo's

Welcome aboard from Sunny Arizona!!
    Can’t go wrong with a Fender amp!! Let us know where you land!!

14. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Welcome.

Those are both very nice amps. The 68 Custom Vibrolux is one of my favorites that I have played.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.