67 flying v build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by goldguitarguy, Sep 3, 2011.

1. goldguitarguy

goldguitarguy Tele-Meister

Hopefully I'll get some work done tonight,just waiting on a stew Mac package,I order the fret scale template for the miter box,some nuts and washers for the truss rod and pickguard material. I'll be making my own pickguard which I don't know a whole lot about routing plastics....Anyone have any do's and don't's for routing plastic????

2. davmac

davmac Tele-Afflicted

From my own limited experience, practice on scrap, and make sure there is something protective between material and baseplate.

3. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Use double sided tape to hold it down to your template.

4. goldguitarguy

What about the speed of the router,do I have to worry about it melting or burning the plastic if the speed is too high,I'm not sure what the speed is on my router

5. davmac

davmac Tele-Afflicted

Last time I did it was with my old fixed speed router and it worked fine. I think it'll be fine as long as you keep it moving, have sharp cutters and remove as much excess material as you can so the the router is only taking off the last millimetre or two.

The test on scrap will give you the low risk chance to find out if YMMV.

6. goldguitarguy

Finally got some work done again,I never took a bunch of pics because I just wanted to get some work done while I had the time.

I managed to route the neck pocket and set the neck angle,so it's starting to look like a guitar now not just pieces

Attached Files:

7. studysession

studysession Tele-Meister

Looks nice -
    Can't wait to see it finished.

8. njg12171

njg12171 Tele-Meister

For me I've never been fond of the explorer "hockey stick" heads, just seem out of balance to me

9. goldguitarguy

See I love the hockey stick design.........but I'm Canadian and we live for hockey up here....lol

10. exluthier

exluthier Tele-Meister

Are you going to copy the '67s bizarre neck profile too? Great build looking forward to see how it turns out.

11. goldguitarguy

If you mean by the extremely thin neck profile then yes!!!!!!

12. exluthier

exluthier Tele-Meister

The originals had a weird scalloped taper to the neck, where it got thinner towards the middle frets and thickened towards either extreme. I was never able to get any exact dimensions from one though.

13. goldguitarguy

Finally got a day off of work to get something done.Today I worked on the truss rod,the first thing I done was marked where I needed to drill the hole in my 3/8" anchor,then placing it in my vice I drilled it using a 5/32" high speed metal bit. Then I tapped it using a 10/32 NF tap,then I marked the depth I needed and cut it using a hacksaw.

After that I grabbed a piece of 3/16" stainless steel rod,picked the straightest end,rounded it a little using a file and proceeded to thread it using a 10/32 NF die making sure the die was square to the rod.

Once the was done I screwed the anchor on as tight as I could using a cresent wrench to the end of the thread,then I cut of the excess leaving a little bit behind to be peened,then I peened it down using a ball peen hammer and cleaned it up with a file.

The next step is not necessary but it makes a stronger peen if you do it.I tempered the peen by heating the anchor red hot using a propane torch,then while it is still hot I dipped it motor oil to cool it. This is also a great way to make the truss rod look old on the ends if your building a relic guitar. Then once cool I center punched the peen to check the temper and all was good.

Then I placed the truss rod in the neck to mark the length needed and cut it a little so it could be cut to length after I thread the end,which I did,again using the 10/32 NF die. Then placed it in the neck again this time adding the washer and nut to the end,marked it,cut it to length and now I have a truss rod,then i removed the nut and washer to get ready for the filler strip

First I found a piece of wood long enough to meet my needs,a piece of Birdseye maple left over from a neck I built,done just nicely. Then I ripped it to thickness and trimmed some of the height off using my band saw,then I sanded it on the belt sander till it fit,then using my fingers I spread the glue on careful not to be sloppy so I don't glue in the truss rod,then I fit it in the neck and clamped it down and now I'm waiting for the glue to dry so I can make it flush tomorrow!

Attached Files:

14. goldguitarguy

Got some more work done yesterday,I tried my hand at my first rosewood fretboard,and for the most part I am pleased!
    First I planed the fretboard using one of my handy dandy router jigs for planing,then I rough cut the shape and sent it to my miter box from stew macs to slot it.
    Then my phone went dead so I don't have any pics of the next steps. So I continued on and marked the holes for the dots,I used 6mm white plastic for this guitar,so I drilled them using a15/64" brad point bit.......then after I had drilled the holes I glued in the dots using loc tite super glue,and today after work I sanded it a little just to level everything off and snapped a pic!

Attached Files:

15. goldguitarguy

Anyone have any info on the round over size needed for the body????It doesn't have to be flying V correct,just looking to see what bit is more commonly used I guess!

16. goldguitarguy

Thanks to my very demanding job I have got barely any headway on the V,but today I got to sneak away a little earlier and got to work,so here is where I am

I got the fretboard on the neck,side dots are in and the veneer is on the headstock,not much but it's an update!!!LOL

Attached Files:

17. goldguitarguy

Works been so hectic lately,I've had very little time for anything else,having only 2 days off in the month of September I took advantage and rested,but the long weekend is coming up and I'm exciting to get back making sawdust,I did manage to get the frets in the neck and start shaping the profile

Attached Files:

18. cmatthes

cmatthes Tele-Meister

This is extremely cool!

Nice work.

19. goldguitarguy

Due to work,lack of motivation,and the fact that I fell in love with building paisley teles I have put the V project aside for over a year,but I figured it time to finish it,that and figured I should use the $250 worth of hardware I had bought for it.......,so today I hid my Tele templates and hauled out the forgotten pieces of the 67 V,the neck was only half profiled,the body,neglected on a bottom shelf reserved for scrap wood pieces now has dents and scrapes that need to filled.....so I "got to 'er"as we say in Newfoundland

I shall continue the build exactly where I left off....shaping the neck,drilling the tuner holes and maybe file down some frets near the body joint

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.