'67 Bassman Mini Stack Build

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by GroovePuppy, Aug 22, 2012.

1. GroovePuppy

GroovePuppy TDPRI Member

Here's my latest addition to the pile of gear I really can't justify against my musical abilities. :D

I picked up a '67 Silverface Bassman head recently. It's been completely rebuilt to the AA165 schematic, new caps, etc. I decided to build cabs rather than look for something that sounded good, matched the impedance, and looked good in combination. Thanks to some great threads in here the end result is super cool. Baltic birch ply, bunch of stuff from Mojotone, speakers from Warehouse Guitar Speakers, and other odds and ends from Harbor Freight and Ebay.

Obviously what matters most is how it sounds, and it sounds great. Total cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $350 for the cabs including the speakers. Now I just need a logo to make them look like I bought them. :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. GroovePuppy

GroovePuppy TDPRI Member

And here's some build plan info if anyone is curious. Wish I'd done a build diary but hey ho. Used Google Sketchup which is a cool piece of software, and it's free!

[​IMG]

Wood cuts from a 5'x5' sheet. Doesn't show the rear baffleboards which were cut last to fit the final size with slop for Tolex thickness. (Edit: The speaker baffles were also cut smaller than shown here to allow for grill cloth and piping.)
    [​IMG]

And the Tolex cuts.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  3. ludashoeless

ludashoeless Tele-Afflicted

those look nice! was it hard? and how does the bassmna sound?

4. storyboards27

storyboards27 Tele-Meister

Those look great! I may use your design for an extension cab for my Laney LC50.

Whipped you up a logo (slow day at work) based off your username...

Attached Files:

5. GroovePuppy

GroovePuppy TDPRI Member

I have a buddy with a table saw, router, etc., and spent a bunch of time reviewing other people's builds. Wasn't super difficult. Tolexing was a pain trying to get the right glue. I used 3M 77 in the end which wasn't terrible but I'd use contact cement in future I think. (Like most folks do.)

Cabinets are screwed and glued butt joints with 3/4" corner bracing throughout. Using chromed corners means you don't have to finesse the Tolex so much. Cut the speaker hole with a router jig to make a nicer job of it. Remembering to flat black stuff before covering was worthwhile, including Sharpie on the ends of the speaker bolts which would've been visible through the grill cloth otherwise. Had to hairdryer the grill cloth to tighten it up a little too.

Bassman sounds awesome. Like I said it was basically rebuilt from the ground up before I got it. Breaks up at 7-8 but loads of clean before that and takes pedals real well.

That's why I thought I'd post the plans. ;) That was one thing I couldn't quite find posted anywhere. I'll watch out for your build thread.

Nice logo. It's the one thing I'm stuck at. I don't want to dump a bunch of money for a custom molded piece but I don't want a decal. Maybe something like a couple of Cadillac hood badges or something. Don't know yet.

6. storyboards27

storyboards27 Tele-Meister

Auto badges would be cool. I wonder if you could get just some aluminum screen printed for something more custom.

7. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

Your thoughts on the WGS's?

8. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

It looks great. You copied the drip edge, just wondering why you didn't go the full Monte and use the silverface cloth too(?).

9. GroovePuppy

GroovePuppy TDPRI Member

Love 'em for the money. Had the rig at band practice last night instead of the usual HR Deville and it's pretty much night and day. The clarity was way better, even with fuzz it cut through tighter than with the Deville 4x10.

Not drip edge, just white piping a-la Ampeg cabs. I didn't match the grill cloth because I couldn't. None of the available Fender cloths have the right thread colors, some of which is aging but my head has vertical black threads and none of the Silverface cloths match it.

[​IMG]

I figure if I can't match it exactly it'll look goofy so better to make it deliberately different. I wasn't replacing the original that's for sure!

10. birddog01

birddog01 Tele-Afflicted

Nice job, glad I inspired you ;) enjoy.

11. GroovePuppy

GroovePuppy TDPRI Member

Ya did indeed. Thanks for the input.

12. tubeswell

tubeswell Friend of Leo's

Nice pair of cabs! Nothing like building some stuff to use with some other stuff (for when you run out of excuses ;))

13. Jcn3

Jcn3 Tele-Meister

beautiful work -- very impressive. did you build the cab for the head, too or is that original?

14. Cruisin Home

Cruisin Home Tele-Meister

what did you pay for the head?

15. GroovePuppy

GroovePuppy TDPRI Member

I looked around on the local craigslist but it's so hard to find the right thing. Wanted 2x12"s but had to be 4ohm total. Building didn't really save much money but I got exactly what I wanted and something that looks good with the head on it.

Thanks. No the head was an Ebay purchase. Basket case when the seller got it so they gutted it and did the rewire/recap. Very nice job too. Had it been me doing the head chassis then I would've done matching grill cloth and picked something period correct.

$400 plus $60 for shipping. Decent price for the vintage, excellent price considering the refurb.

16. Fatknuckle

Fatknuckle Tele-Holic

Nice Work!!!

17. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Bassman and Bandmaster heads are the unsung heroes of the Fender line. They're workhorses that have powered countless bands. Thanks for bringing another back to life! Very cool cabs, too.

18. Niles

Niles Tele-Meister

Looks great and I am a sucker for the white piping.

19. onenotetom

onenotetom Tele-Afflicted

I think this logo looks great! Lots of things you could do with it as a decal. Put it on a piece of aluminum or brass. Paint the aluminum the same color blue green as the bassman logo and let it show through or change the black to the blue green.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.