'67 - '71 12 string Rickenbacker's with a converter comb - any in the house?

toomuchfun

Tele-Afflicted
I'm hoping someone else on the forum has one, especially a hollowbody.

I have a '68 456-12, a skinny solidbody model in Fireglo. I got it 35-40 years ago from the 2nd owner. I got it because I wanted a 12 string electric and the Rickenbacker jangle is hard to beat.

The converter comb is an interesting item, with it you can hold down one of each pair of strings. Mainly designed to switch between a 12 string or a 6 string, but it's downfall is it stretches the strings out of tune so retuning has to happen to go back to 12 string. Again, I bought it for the 12 string sound so it isn't a factor to me. I have had luck on occasion holding down the 3 low drone strings to get a nice 12 string sound on the high 3 strings and then can play single note bass runs on the lower strings.

It has a wonderful sound and is a light guitar with a great action. I had to get used to the feel of a lacquer finished maple board but it didn't take long. And I like Rickenbacker putting the main string on top instead of the drone string.

Here's some pics:
68_456-12_convertible-1.jpg

68_456-12_convertible-2.jpg

Some shots with the comb holding down the drone strings:
68_456-12_convertible-3.jpg

68_456-12_convertible-4.jpg

And for vintage geeks, the original grey case:
acoustic_wood_model=5.jpg

BradKM

Tele-Afflicted
Weird request here... can you share a photo of the inside of the case?

I picked up one that looks very similar a few years back that has odd interior dimensions, and I've been trying to determine what it was originally made for ever since. It's far too narrow for Strats, Teles, etc., and doesn't match a vintage Mustang case I also have.

toomuchfun

Tele-Afflicted
Weird request here... can you share a photo of the inside of the case?
My apologies for the late reply, just old. Here is a shot of the case empty. In inches it measures inside 13-1/2 X 37-1/4. The divider is about 7 inches from the top end.

68_rickenbacker_case-1.jpg

Here is another shot with the guitar as I bought it and as it stores today. I don't know what material the sponge is, but it has never affected the finish on the guitar. And it serves the purpose of not letting the guitar shift and possibly get marks or wear on it.

68_rickenbacker_case-2.jpg

Not sure if the cases had different interiors for different years, but this is a '68 style.