1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

'66 Vibrolux Reverb

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by AlbertaGriff, Jul 25, 2019.

1. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

Have a chance to buy a '66 Vibrolux Reverb for about $1900 usd ($2500 cad). Pretty great shape overall. Pretty original inside (I've checked) besides a mod to add reverb to the 'Normal' channel. Original Jensen C10NS speakers. Would need a cap job.

I've recently sold some stuff, so have the money for it. There are cheaper amps around, too.

Thoughts on this one?

2. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

From what I’ve seen vluxes going for, that sounds pretty good to me. Great amps. I think I’d be all over it if it was in good original shape, and it sounds like it is.

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  3. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

It's a bit high for what I would pay, but it doesn't seem too high for what the market will bear. In comparison to other amps from the same time period, not a lot of Vibrolux Reverbs were made. I was looking for a 64-70 Vibrolux for the past few months, but found a 68 Fender Pro Reverb for $850. It's one of the early one from Santa Ana that has the same blackface circuit that Pro Reverbs used from 65-67. It still has all of the Mallory blue caps in great shape. A Pro Reverb is basically the same amp as a Vibrolux except it has a pair of 12's, larger cabinet and a more robust power supply/transformer.

A Vibrolux Reverb in conjunction with a Telecaster is definitely a dynamite combination. I can understand your desire.

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  4. Buckaroo

Buckaroo Tele-Meister

BFVR is a great amp. Buy wisely...

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  5. AlbertaGriff

By comparison, there is also a 'project amp' available nearby. It's a 1972 Vibrolux Reverb in fairly rough shape. Would need the cabinet recovered, likely new grill cloth, cap job, maybe tubes and speakers. It's going for $800 but I haven't heard it or seen it in person yet.

The BF sounded really really good.

6. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

My favorite - price seems right for blackface. I'd do it if I was in the need/want category.

gridlock likes this.
  7. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Duplicated....

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  8. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

The VR runs lower voltage than do the other 2x6L6 Fender reverb guitar amps. That is a big difference, ime. They are my favorite BF/SF Reverb amp. If the amp is truly all-original and sounds good, it would be hard to walk away....even if they did not accept whatever counteroffer I made. I might give that price if I wanted it.

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  9. AlbertaGriff

I'm really leaning toward doing it. The way I see it, I sold a 77 Vibro Champ and will sell a Les Paul in order to fund it. I didn't use those two items much, but would use the Vibrolux... basically a 2 for 1 trade.

2 Headed Goat, dannyh and Wally like this.
  10. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    One of if not the best Fender BF/SF amps made... price seems right to me. My favorite amp is my 69 SFVR with Jensen C10NS speakers... BTW the speakers are very hard to find and to me some of the best from the era.

If I had the funds I no doubt would be picking that amp up.... hope it works out for you..

Share pics if you have them...

gridlock, AlbertaGriff and Wally like this.
  11. AlbertaGriff

I only snapped a couple when checking it out.

20190725_114039.jpg 20190725_114058.jpg

12. corliss1

OHman, that seems real clean. Do it.

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  13. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

That seems really clean to me.. you should see my 69, it's a mess compared to that one. That grill cloth seems almost to clean, possible replacement?

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  14. corliss1

Cloth looks legit to me. If the amp had a cover it could totally be that clean.

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  15. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

FYI, you can tell if the grill cloth was replaced - if you don't see black staples it's probably been replaced as they used black staples. Anything new more than likely would have silver staples.

Telecastoff1, Wally and corliss1 like this.
  16. AlbertaGriff

The grill cloth looks more aged in person, I believe it is original. The cab has a few dings in it, too, which the current owner coloured black with a sharpie. It definitely looks very clean in person, maybe not quite as clean as the pictures, haha.

The current seller is the second owner, and a relative of the first owner, who bought it new in 66 or 67.

I told the seller I would like to buy it, so hopefully I am not too late.

17. brokenbones

brokenbones Tele-Holic

$1900 for a BFVR? I would seriously consider buying it. Are the transformers all original? That seems like a really good deal to me. Excellent condition Silverface DRs and VRs are starting to tick up in the $1100-$1400 USD range where I live. That amp is priced well below book value IMO.

Telecastoff1 and gridlock like this.
  18. AlbertaGriff

Shhh.

dannyh likes this.
  19. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

At some point in the amp's history it's had Celestion or JBL speakers in it, hence the broken-off posts?

AJBaker and gridlock like this.
  20. AlbertaGriff

Interesting, I did not actually notice that missing post. I believe the speakers are original to the amp, but I do know the current owner has taken them out for photographing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.