1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

'66 tele

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by den_gerten, May 11, 2019.

1. Bobchill

Bobchill TDPRI Member

Sorry for that Den, anyway there are a lot of reliable and highly regarded vintage sellers!

2. GuyR

GuyR TDPRI Member

The decal position is slightly different to my 66. Mine is very slightly angled upwards by comparison, but on a hand applied decal, easy explainable. My PG also has a wider margin of visible body below the lower horn as mentions by other posters. Still, your guitar looks legitimate.

The only question I would have is where has it been since 66 to be in such good condition? If the case is in as good condition as the guitar, that would give me some comfort.
    Good score!!

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  3. mipstoo

mipstoo TDPRI Member

Bob, you can’t make a statement like this without mentioning the little details ;)

Bobchill likes this.
  4. den_gerten

den_gerten TDPRI Member

I was thinking the same thing, but maybe it's not a good idea to give the little details to the guys trying to make/fraud them perfectly.

Bobchill likes this.
  5. mipstoo

mipstoo TDPRI Member

Except if it’s only one person swimming against the current :)

Maybe @Bobchill can answer you in private?

Bobchill likes this.
  6. davidos

davidos TDPRI Member

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  7. rob2

rob2 Tele-Holic

I've never been too worried about "fake" .....its more a matter of "originality"......I don't think there's any criminal mastermind out there spending hours and hours accurately faking a '66 Telecaster...but what you do need to be aware of is originality because this governs how much you should pay...there are plenty of sellers who are economical about the truth and even expert dealers get burned from time to time though they won't talk about it for fear it hurts their reputation..
    I'm guessing most people here remember the Musicground saga in the UK where genuine parts were mixed and matched from stolen instruments with some cleverly done modifications in some cases to ensure maximum value.......these were fakes....I gather some amps were built from the ground up and possibly a wholly fake Zemaitis...these were at the top end of deception.
    Here you have been told about a rewind,you could ask to check the date stamp which should be under the shielding plate though the seller might be slow to disturb it...you need to ask about a few other issue's,the headstock decal,perhaps the scratchplate looking so white when there is slight wear through on some body edges so it has been played,possibly sitting down a lot!
    I would certainly locate the two pin holes in the back.....they can be nicely hidden but there is usually enough shrinkage that you will find them by tilting the guitar back to the light and moving it around,good way also to pick up body seams...
    Otherwise the overall view here is its correct,owners of similar Teles have chimed in,you ideally would get to handle it but I get the impression you are looking at buying via photos which is very common now.If its a dealer,ensure they will take it back if you are unhappy for any reason,if its a private sale try to get that in writing.....and good luck,if this doesn't fly there will be others!

Antoon likes this.
  8. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Afflicted

And I am quite sure of the pickguard not being original. There is no rounded bit where the bass horn meets the neck. All original guards have that slightly rounded.

rob2 likes this.
  9. davidos

davidos TDPRI Member

3 more pics of MY 66 for ya.... to me everything looks good including the pickguard (I think I see that rounded part on the bass side mentioned above. You can see it on mine for reference). 66s seem to have Thick headstocks as seen here! Neck looks good, logo, body looks good even though the wear is curious along top edge and bottom edge in back. It seems to have some dark yellow stains on it which I think would be hard to fake. The cavity looks good. I see a round router mark to the left on the bottom of the opening. You can just make out mine under the grime. I looked for pin holes on my body but could clearly see them. I saw what may be one towards the bottom strap button but it depends on the angle I was holding the guitar at.

Only thing not OG would be switch and possibly pickups. There should be a date under the copper plate on the gray bottom. Not sure about neck pickup. Never taken mine out.

10. den_gerten

den_gerten TDPRI Member

Is there a reason I don'thave permission to open the pictures?
    Thanks all, I'll consider all remarks. I don't know for sureif I dare to go on with this one.

11. davidos

davidos TDPRI Member

I think you have to be logged in to open the pics. I will check. Can anyone else see them?

12. fernieite

fernieite Tele-Meister

They're visible to me, but only when signed in...

13. Bobchill

Bobchill TDPRI Member

Sorry for mussing your replies guys, I thought I had checked the "Watch Thread" option before.
    @mipstoo, good point! I had just the same thought as @den_gerten : "maybe it's not a good idea to give the little details to the guys trying to make/fraud them perfectly". Yes, I can point out the details in a private message to den_gerten, please don't hesitate to let me know if you are interested.

@rob2: ."I don't think there's any criminal mastermind out there spending hours and hours accurately faking a '66 Telecaster..."
    I'm afraid that this world is bad enough for that Rob, and unfortunately it's not the first and not the last fake to be spotted.

14. den_gerten

den_gerten TDPRI Member

Pictures show now, on the same laptop and logged in as before. Strange, but it works :eek:)

15. rob2

rob2 Tele-Holic

You're probably right but if I ever decide on making a career of criminality I'll find something easier and more lucrative!

Bobchill likes this.
  16. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

My '66 has the same pots as in the OP.

17. landofahhs

landofahhs TDPRI Member

I'm no expert, but as a 68 year old native Southern Californian that grew up on the Orange county line during the 50's and 60's, I've seen a few Fenders. I own a 69 Tele that I can readily compare to your pictures.

Beautiful, I agree with the majority of folks here, what a nice find! But...

Do we agree that if the guitar has been complete and together, whether in use or not, all of the guitar should show the same, identical or similar surface oxidation/wear and/or contamination from being touched over the decades....Just like us old guys, but that's another story. If this is assumed to be a reasonable conclusion, then your guitar does have an issue which effects the value...

As alluded to previously about your knobs(and the cover plate also IMHO)...They look brand new. Did anyone polish or replace them along with the switch? When the switch was replaced are you sure nothing else was done? The main point is, when a surface is not consistent with the rest of the guitar, warning 'flags' should pop up. Of course, this would hit the price tag pretty hard too.

Having said that, everything else I see on that guitar matches my guitar to a 'T'....even the slightly greenish oxidation of the tuners surfaces...that kind of stuff can't be faked. I like that guitar.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.