1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

66 Tele pickup

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by hutt, Nov 16, 2020.

1. hutt

hutt TDPRI Member

Hi all,
    I have a66 tele neck pickup that is all original. Its sounding a little anemic, measures 4.7 k and is a little microphonic. I would like someone who knows what they are doing to take a look at the pickup and evaluate it for magnet strength, possible short in the coil and maybe as a last resort rewind it. I would appreciate any suggestions.
    Thanks

2. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

t-ray likes this.
  3. dmarcus30

dmarcus30 Tele-Holic

Jerry Amalfitano rewound my 66 bridge pickup and it sounds better than ever, inexpensive and fast turnaround time

4. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

That's a very low reading! Makes me wonder if there's a short somewhere.

5. sugarinthegourd

sugarinthegourd Tele-Meister

When did they start lacquer potting? Bet there’s a short inside. Having said that, pickups in that era did have low DCR.

6. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

7. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Holic

For some reason, in 66, some pickups left the factory unpotted. Who knows why, but they did, and these ones are prone to shorting/degrading. It'll probably need to be rewound. I am not sure if this applies to a '66 (someone chime in if they know), they should use clear lacquer to pot it, Fender never used wax for the neck pickup, only on the bridge, at least, that's what they did in the 50s, not really sure about '66, I really need to learn more about the CBS years. One dip before winding, and another after, before putting the cover on, if I recall correctly.

8. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

I think the reason for the unpotted pickups at that time has to do with the famous story of a new CBS employee who made a purchase of wire for the pickups that had the wrong coating, because it was cheap. A long time employee said it wouldn't work, as I recall it was because the coating would melt when the pickups were wax potted. I think they went ahead and used the wire anyway, and just stopped potting the pickups for a time.
    Al

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.