'66 Deluxe Reverb Crackle Pop & Static problem - not the tubes, sockets or plate resistors

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by lookah, Aug 13, 2017.

1. lookah

lookah Tele-Meister

Hi All. Need some help. I can't seem to figure out the culprit for the crackly noise from my DR. Main clue so far is that pulling the PI 12AT7 is the only thing that stops it. The amp has been working great for past few months. The issue started a few days ago as intermittent pops (~once an hour) and eventually the crackling and even some occasional whistling type noise joined in. Now happens as soon as amp goes off of standby. No guitar plugged in. All knobs on 0.

-fresh set of new tubes that I've also dbl checked against other good tubes
    -deoxit on all tube sockets (and pots)
    -retensioned all sockets.
    -replaced PI 82k & 100k resistors
    -replaced all 100k plate load resistors
    -chopsticks test on every component - noise never goes away
    -grounding on brass plate was all redone
    -all filter & electrolytics caps are new

Wasn't able to embed the audio file here but there's a link to how it sounds on my TGP post

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...the-tubes-sockets-or-plate-resistors.1855817/

Thanks!

Luca

2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Does it do it with reverb cables unplugged?

3. trouserpress

trouserpress Tele-Holic

You could refresh the solder joints of the (said) tube socket(s). Sometimes chopsticking doesn't reveal a bad joint.

4. lookah

lookah Tele-Meister

Yes.

5. lookah

lookah Tele-Meister

I'll try that.

6. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Conductive Fiber board.

7. lookah

lookah Tele-Meister

Any solutions for that in case its the culprit? Humid Northeast weather is prob not helping. I lifted the board and cleaned the chassis, pots, brass plate etc months back when I was a chasing a different problem. Its a very clean amp inside.

8. lookah

lookah Tele-Meister

all solder joints on 12_7's retouched as well as on entire phase inverter circuit...any other ideas?

9. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

Dark room and watch for the light show. Lovely blue sparks. Speaker connections, wires, jacks.

trouserpress likes this.
  10. Cleeve

Cleeve Tele-Holic

Make sure there is no high voltage left in the caps then re-solder the whole circuit- paying close attention to the grommets that have resistors running parallel to the long dimension of the fiber board.
    Failing that, remove the power tubes and the pilot light, or tape over it, and in a darkened room with the amp on, look at the power tube sockets to see if any corona or arcing is going on from the high voltage pin recepticals.
    Also standby switches have a hard life.

I've seen also carbon tracking on the fiberboard in the capacitor house, if the main caps were changed a time or two it may be a good idea to see what things look like between those fiberboards.

11. jazzguitar

jazzguitar Tele-Afflicted

A possibility is that same as the carbon resistors can go bad an crackle, the carbon trace of the control pots can do.

12. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Also check all pots - I went through a maddening time years ago on a customer's amp - turned out to be corrosion buildup between pots and chassis.

dougstrum, JD0x0 and trouserpress like this.
  13. lookah

lookah Tele-Meister

Thanks everyone. Will retouch everything and also try to see if there's a light show when I pull the power tubes. However isn't the clue that pulling the PI stops the noise mean it wouldn't be an issue in the power section?

14. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

To check for board conductivity just put your meter on DCR and one probe to chassis ground, the other probe will poke around the board. Poke all around and see if there's voltage on the board. Since the issue seems to point more towards the preamp, pay more attention to those areas of the board.

The conductive board true fix is a non fiber board, but to repair an original, clean the board, use a hair drier or heat gun to re melt the wax and evaporate the moisture. Some people recommend putting the board in an oven at low temp for 3 days.

15. lookah

lookah Tele-Meister

NEW CLUE! I replaced the 1M carbon comp resistor coming off the grid (pin 2) of my V6/PI and the crackling is gone! But I now have a,lost no volume. It sounds like the amp has been attenuated to 1/2 watt and I have to crank it to even hear something. Um...?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  16. trouserpress

trouserpress Tele-Holic

One should think so. Maybe some flawed resistor or cap in the way of the PI. Let's hope it's not the power transformer - choking periodically on some insulation gone bad. Unfortunately I'm no real electronics buff and therefore ran out of clever ideas. Nevertheless I'll stay tuned as you work on further hints and wish you luck.

17. lookah

lookah Tele-Meister

Thanks for that info

18. lookah

lookah Tele-Meister

Meanwhile turns out that after that initial 1M swap, my brand new tremolo tube in V5 blew (turned cloudy white). The 10M resistor seemed suspect so i changed it out. Probably related? Whole lot of bad luck or is something cascading? Just rechecked (via swapping) all preamp tubes and power tubes. No change. Still low volume

19. lookah

lookah Tele-Meister

Good god..hold on. Turns out it wasn't the 1M resistor. .001 ceramic cap in the PI circuit had a broken leg. Reconnected it via alligator clips and crackling is back! Ugh. Now I just gotta find/order a .001 cap. Not the most common to have laying around. Could a bad cap be the culprit of the crackle?

Thank you all for your time and patience with me.

20. lookah

lookah Tele-Meister

what value cap can i use instead of the .001 just to see if that's the what's causing the crackle?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.